Is Carnival really going to….

TRAYSEE

With the Royal approach, one price fits all, I would order everything I want and some things I might just want to try. I think their approach increases waste.

If we order room service, most likely it is after an excursion in port to give us energy to make it to late supper.

Putting a price on each item should cut down on waste and should certainly help with kids ordering everything - especially if parents don't give them charge privileges.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I doubt this will make a dent into minimizing food waste.  Most guests choose room service over the buffet – which is a colossal source of food waste – and the MDR, in which its increasingly common for parties to order multiple appetizers, entrees & desserts, yielding plenty of discarded leftovers.  If Carnival was truly concerned about food waste, they’d reimagine the buffet to the Pig & Anchor concept – all-you-can-eat, but instead of serving yourself, the food is served to you on smaller plates.  It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s a strong determent to those who pile multiple plates high, and just pick at it.  Of course, that adds labor, which is most likely the opposite of what Carnival’s true intentions are 😊.

And yes, it’s “easy” to grab food at the buffet, etc., but it’s “easy” to grocery shop and stop at your local Chili’s or pizzeria, yet delivery services are exploding in popularity.  Grabbing grub from the buffet, bringing it back to your stateroom, preparing your stateroom to eat, etc. is a huge hassle and takes a lot of time – and by the time you eat, your food is at best lukewarm.  I’m on vacation – I’d rather get back from the pool/beach/etc., place an order for room service, take a shower and get dressed for the evening, and have my dinner ready for me – at a more proper temperature and with proper service items.

There's always the "corporate responsibility" reason that has a sliver of truth, and then an underlying cost savings. However, room service absolutely contributes to food waste. I can't even count how many times I've known someone to order food only to fall asleep and never eat it. The more accessible something is, the more likely someone is to order it and not want it. 

• Like 2

There are still free items on the room service menu, not as many but still a few (sorry things evolve and change, prices go up and maybe if room service choices are your make it or break it then...)  We order our coffee very early to wake up and have on the balcony prior to getting dressed and out the door a little later in the morning.  Sometimes we order a little snack while we are dressing for dinner to have with a glass a wine, what's the big deal.  We have no problem paying for that service and like the better choices with paying.  Why would that bother anyone when its me paying for what I like.  We are neither overweight or wasteful (as was mentioned or eluded to by prev posters) and will pay for what we want and how we want it, period.  

In over 20 years of cruising we have never purchased cheers, I have seen plenty of drinks left around because someone didn't like it or just up and left the glass because they could try something new or just decided they didn't want it.  We have no issue with those that pay all that money to drink freely at will and can finish a drink or not.  Same with the waste we have seen on every CCL ship with the ice cream, dishes and cones left everywhere (stairways come to mind) , half eaten, dripping and tossed/left, very wasteful. So like it or not, waste is prevalent on a cruise ship whether you pay for the service or not and if you pay for it then what is the big deal to everyone else (the waste will still happen).  

We dont like to see the waste either or the drunk people making fools of themselves or the rude loud mouths (definitely not unique to Carnival) at any given time on our vacation but...that is why we do us, we get our balcony cabins so we can escape the masses when we need to and enjoy what we like to do.  We do the same at an AI on land or any other vacation adventures we have, we know there will be those people out there but we make choices that allow us to enjoy OUR time freely.  People are people wherever we go and we cannot dictate how others spend their money and they cannot dictate how we spend ours.  If you dont want to pay for room service then dont, no arm twisting going on.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 4

On 9/15/2022 at 9:53 AM, ShakyBeef said:

Thank you for reminding me!  THIS is what I come to the Carnival CC boards for!  This is a cutback for which I need to DIY a workaround, now.  For years, after the Lido trays disappeared from other Carnival ships, my Baltimore-ported Pride still had them, so I didn't have to worry about packing my own tray.  But just now, thanks to your post, I bought this:

Morris and Co for Pimpernel Blue Melamine Handled Tray - 19.25 x 11.5 inch

..and will be bringing it on my next cruise.  All of my serving trays at home are heavy - either silverplate or wood.  This one is lightweight, sanitizable melamine.  One more thing for my considerable luggage.🤪🤭

On 9/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Crusin Karen said:

I have never ordered food items from room service such as sandwiches, etc.  We have, however, on a number of cruises,  had an aft wrap balcony cabin for which we paid a premium price.  So we always enjoyed ordering room service pot of coffee and perhaps a danish in the morning so that we could start our day peacefully on the balcony we paid "extra" for.  Shaky Beef, have you taken the tray on a cruise?  I'm cruising 9/24 and have severe bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome.  Just holding a cup is awkward and painful.  I'm thinking a tray would be a God send for me! 

On 9/15/2022 at 5:28 PM, ninjacat123 said:

What are the dimensions?  Would it fit in a carryon?

Hey, y'all, my tray finally arrived today.  Although I read the dimensions, even posted them here in the thread, I was still somehow thinking it would hold two plates.  It only holds one (although I think the charger pictured (11 1/4") is bigger than a Lido Deck plate), in addition to two DOD cups and a couple flatware/napkin rolls:

20220924_110900

Despite it being a little smaller than I would like, I am very pleased with the overall look and quality of it, as well as its light weight.  Also, the handles seems to have a good ergonomic angle to them.  I hope this helps. 

BTW, this tray comes in many different prints and patterns - not just "The Strawberry Thief".🙂

EDIT:  Crusin Karen,  I just realized you said your cruise is on the 24th of September - That's today!  I'm sorry my tray review is too late to do you any good for this cruise and hope that you came up with a solution that works for you.  Have a fabulous cruise!😄

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

Hey, y'all, my tray finally arrived today.  Although I read the dimensions, even posted them here in the thread, I was still somehow thinking it would hold two plates.  It only holds one (although I think the charger pictured (11 1/4") is bigger than a Lido Deck plate), in addition to two DOD cups and a couple flatware/napkin rolls:

20220924_110900

Despite it being a little smaller than I would like, I am very pleased with the overall look and quality of it, as well as its light weight.  Also, the handles seems to have a good ergonomic angle to them.  I hope this helps. 

BTW, this tray comes in many different prints and patterns - not just "The Strawberry Thief".🙂

EDIT:  Crusin Karen,  I just realized you said your cruise is on the 24th of September - That's today!  I'm sorry my tray review is too late to do you any good for this cruise and hope that you came up with a solution that works for you.  Have a fabulous cruise!😄

It is pretty!  I looked at the other designs and I think I like the one you have best!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

There's always the "corporate responsibility" reason that has a sliver of truth, and then an underlying cost savings. However, room service absolutely contributes to food waste. I can't even count how many times I've known someone to order food only to fall asleep and never eat it. The more accessible something is, the more likely someone is to order it and not want it. 

It’s not going to reduce food waste - in fact, it’ll probably increase food waste.  JH is using the argument that fee-for-service will cause people to order only what they can eat, when in actuality they will go to other no-fee dining options.  Those who choose the buffet will generate far more waste.

It’s also going to increase waits for the MDR and even Lido…

7 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

It’s not going to reduce food waste - in fact, it’ll probably increase food waste.  JH is using the argument that fee-for-service will cause people to order only what they can eat, when in actuality they will go to other no-fee dining options.  Those who choose the buffet will generate far more waste.

It’s also going to increase waits for the MDR and even Lido…

The fact is they will tend to only order what they will eat from room service.

I doubt most people who graze at the buffet take it back to their cabins, but in any event, the buffet hours are much more limited than room service. Ergo less waste is generated.

And then you have those that are going to feel that if they are paying for it, they should order enough to get their money's worth - which would lead to waste. I've never ordered room service. Generally run up to the lido to get a coffee for DH and a tea for me. The exercise doesn't hurt me. Then we go for breakfast.

16 minutes ago, vswan said:

And then you have those that are going to feel that if they are paying for it, they should order enough to get their money's worth - which would lead to waste.

This might be the case with RCI's flat-fee Room Service model, but I wouldn't think it would be so with Carnival's system, since it's a la carte pricing - each item has a price, so the more you order, the more you pay.

32 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The fact is they will tend to only order what they will eat from room service.

I doubt most people who graze at the buffet take it back to their cabins, but in any event, the buffet hours are much more limited than room service. Ergo less waste is generated.

I think you missed my point.  The assumption that people will order less because it’s now a la carte pricing is a fallacy.  In actuality, most people will stop ordering room service and instead enjoy their meals at the included buffet or MDR.  And those who eat in the buffet will generate far more waste.

32 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

I think you missed my point.  The assumption that people will order less because it’s now a la carte pricing is a fallacy.  In actuality, most people will stop ordering room service and instead enjoy their meals at the included buffet or MDR.  And those who eat in the buffet will generate far more waste.

I missed nothing. In actuality you are speculating with no basis in fact. Most people don't order room service to begin with, and many who do, will continue to do so.

14 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I missed nothing. In actuality you are speculating with no basis in fact. Most people don't order room service to begin with, and many who do, will continue to do so.

If you haven’t noticed the room service trays discarded in the hallway, on your next cruise I suggest you leave your stateroom as late as possible.  The housekeeper will place the trays that had been in the room in the hallway and there will be so many, it will impede your exit.

In the past decade at most AI in Mexico/Caribbean, room service has went from an included option to fee based a la carte (excluding premium room categories).  The decline in room service orders is easily noticeable.  

Fact is, most people aren’t going to pay for something when “free” options exist and to suggest otherwise is foolhardy.

It’s a business decision.  It helps offset some of the expenses associated with the service - those could be both food and labor expenses.  Not unique to Carnival.  As someone mentioned even AI resorts have gone to pay for room service.  Many hotels killed room service years ago.  Things change but you can usually find things that are important to you somewhere.  

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Most people leave their trays in the hall, as requested, but I have better things to do on a cruise than to waste time looking for/counting trays or drunks or scooters sleeping in the hall. I also don't waste time looking for rust which will be present on all cruise lines.

Mexican AIs are a smokescreen and irrelevant.

Fact is, a few people might smuggle trays or booze, but most are civilized and will pay for what they want.

Carnival isn’t adding a cover charge to room service, they’re charging a la carte.  A service that was once “free,” will now cost a couple $50+.  I realize we live in an environment status quo where people choose to ignore facts that don’t fit their argument out of convenience, but it defies the fundamentals of economics and demand to suggest that a product that was once free but how has a hefty fee won’t impact demand, at least in the short term.  It would be the first time in history….

Carnival isn’t making this move to reduce food waste - they’re doing it for the same reason many hotels, even domestically, have - it’s labor intensive.  If they truly cared about food waste, the buffet is low hanging fruit.   

Edited by Itried4498
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Carnival isn’t adding a cover charge to room service, they’re charging a la carte.  A service that was once “free,” will now cost a couple $50+.  I realize we live in an environment status quo where people choose to ignore facts that don’t fit their argument out of convenience, but it defies the fundamentals of economics and demand to suggest that a product that was once free but how has a hefty fee won’t impact demand, at least in the short term.  It would be the first time in history….

Again with numbers and no data to back them up. Has the new room service menu been be published? When does it really take effect?

One of the most popular dishes through room service are french fries, and they have always had a charge. Many other room services foods also have had a charge for some time. A la carte pricing for many room service items is not new. The service is still free.

Carnival would not have changed if the data didn't support their decision.

Change happens.

8 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Smuggle trays?  Are trays on Carnival's prohibited items list?  Smuggle... 🤣 🤣🤣

So, let me get this straight: because I am packing my own tray to carry deli sandwich or pizza to my Lido Deck table or to my room, I'm "smuggling" and I'm not civilized?  You crack me up.🤣

Trays through room service are still free for the duration of the cruise.

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes, thank you, I'm aware.  And as I've repeated several times on this thread and the other thread on this subject, I will be ordering Room Service and have absolutely no problem with paying for it.  But I'll be bringing (smuggling, LOL) my own tray to assist in carrying my family's food from Deli, Pizza Pirate, Guy's and other Lido Deck food venues since Lido trays have been discontinued.  You failed to answer my question, though (as usual with you): how is bringing my own tray "smuggling" and in what way does this make me uncivilised?

Seriously, though, man, I thank you for the laugh.  I have been laughing intermittently about your post for the last ten minutes.  Best laugh I've had from CC in years.🤣

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Again with numbers and no data to back them up. Has the new room service menu been be published? When does it really take effect?

One of the most popular dishes through room service are french fries, and they have always had a charge. Many other room services foods also have had a charge for some time. A la carte pricing for many room service items is not new. The service is still free.

Carnival would not have changed if the data didn't support their decision.

Change happens.

LOL.  If Carnival “ran the numbers” to reduce food waste, they’d know they’d have to price the product at a level to discourage people from ordering it.  And again, basic economics of demand suggest that something that was once free but now has a significant fee (it’d have to be significant to reduce food waste).  Which will cause demand for room service to drop.  And again, if Carnival cared about food waste, it’s make changes within Lido- which has a much higher amount of food waste.  Instead it targeted a service that’s notorious for its high costs.

I know it’s convenient to ignore facts we don’t like, but that doesn’t change reality.

2 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

LOL.  If Carnival “ran the numbers” to reduce food waste, they’d know they’d have to price the product at a level to discourage people from ordering it.  And again, basic economics of demand suggest that something that was once free but now has a significant fee (it’d have to be significant to reduce food waste).  Which will cause demand for room service to drop.  And again, if Carnival cared about food waste, it’s make changes within Lido- which has a much higher amount of food waste.  Instead it targeted a service that’s notorious for its high costs.

I know it’s convenient to ignore facts we don’t like, but that doesn’t change reality.

I know. You apparently don't like the fact that instead of most things on the room service menu being a la carte, all will be.

Everything after 10pm already had a price and basically only a few sandwiches were included during the day.

Some demand for room service may drop - so what? There will still be high demand for the included continental breakfast. You have yet to prove your point that demand on Lido will increase significantly. A point impossible to prove or disprove until the actual changes have been implemented. Another fact.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Upon deeper analysis of this statement in conjunction with your previous post, I infer that in your opinion it is civilised to retain a tray from a Room Service order and use it throughout my cruise as I wish, but uncivilised to bring my own tray from home.  Yeah, you're amusing.🤣

13 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Yes, thank you, I'm aware.  And as I've repeated several times on this thread and the other thread on this subject, I will be ordering Room Service and have absolutely no problem with paying for it.  But I'll be bringing (smuggling, LOL) my own tray to assist in carrying my family's food from Deli, Pizza Pirate, Guy's and other Lido Deck food venues since Lido trays have been discontinued.  You failed to answer my question, though (as usual with you): how is bringing my own tray "smuggling" and in what way does this make me uncivilised?

Seriously, though, man, I thank you for the laugh.  I have been laughing intermittently about your post for the last ten minutes.  Best laugh I've had from CC in years.🤣

Dinosaurs still roamed the earth the last time trays were seen on Lido.

It is smuggling in the same sense that packing booze is smuggling. Neither is technically "illegal".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Upon deeper analysis of this statement in conjunction with your previous post, I infer that in your opinion it is civilised to retain a tray from a Room Service order and use it throughout my cruise as I wish, but uncivilised to bring my own tray from home.  Yeah, you're amusing.🤣

It is cheaper and doesn't require packing. It doesn't infer that either is more refined. Some have inferred that cheap people will bring food to their cabin from Lido instead of paying a nominal fee for food. Delivering the food to the cabin is still free. The  jury is still out on the impact and will be until the changes are actually implemented.

• Haha 1

We're sailing on Panorama 10/1 and I'm hoping to see a preview of the room service menu before we go.  I appreciate the refresher course in economics in this thread, it's been a while.  I think many have brought up reasonable considerations to think about.  Impact to food waste, lines in included food venues, even human behavior seem like they can all be true(-ish).   

I think the one thing we can all agree on is smuggling "is the illegal movement of goods into or out of a country" and likely not the correct word for a decorative tray brought on board a ship.  🤣  sorry, couldn't resist. 

• Like 1