Tropical Storm Fiona

skywalkr2

Some of the posters in this thread have mentioned feeling as though they are still on a moving ship, lond after they get home. This is frequently called 'disembark syndrome' and is medical name is Mal de Debarsquement Syndrome. There's really nothing that can be done to stop it; it has to run it course. I have never found anything that helps, even prescribed drugs didn't help. I've had it for as long as eleven days, but that's unusual. It is annouying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

Some of the posters in this thread have mentioned feeling as though they are still on a moving ship, lond after they get home. This is frequently called 'disembark syndrome' and is medical name is Mal de Debarsquement Syndrome. There's really nothing that can be done to stop it; it has to run it course. I have never found anything that helps, even prescribed drugs didn't help. I've had it for as long as eleven days, but that's unusual. It is annouying.

I used to suffer with this big time, especially when working on a computer after the cruise.  I have found that yoga helps it go away much faster.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PA Dutchman said:

We leave out of Baltimore tomorrow looks like we will have fun, some of it we may not like, it will be interesting

Oh Canada! Our home and native land!.......  😉

Enjoy your cruise wherever you may go.

We just came back on September 10th from our cruise to Bermuda on the Magic - it was supposed to be an overnighter, but Hurricane Earl was making its slow climb northward.  We were hoping it would skirt Bermuda totally, but that didn’t happen…..the night before we arrived the captain announced that we’d be leaving at 6:00pm that next day.  We did get one beautiful day on the island, but experienced rough seas (10/12 ft swells) and wind on our way out.  We ended up heading toward South Carolina, and slowly made our way up the coast back to NY to make up for that last day in port.

We were sad to have missed our second day in Bermuda, but grateful to be safe!!!  I had packed meds for seasickness; fortunately, none of us needed it.  But this whole past week I’ve felt like I’m rolling back & forth!

Susan

On 9/15/2022 at 12:45 PM, pacruise804 said:

My husband and I were on the Sunrise in September of 2019 heading to Bermuda.  They did not change course and we ended up sailing to Charleston (which was a beautiful port day).  It was some of the roughest seas we ever encountered - many people were even sleeping in the public areas to be as low and center as possible.  

I doubt they would do that again, but pack some motion sickness pills just in case 😉

Hope you have a great cruise with calm seas!

What did you do in Charleston? Looking at just in case port at this point. I already know our Bermuda port is highly most likely not happening. 😩 😞 

Aside from the storm path and itinerary changes, I’m also worried about the damage this storm is going to do given it’s so slow moving. These islands just don’t need that kind of devastation. And honestly, if any of the eastern islands get hit hard, that could mean cancelled ports of call for furtive cruises too. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Aside from the storm path and itinerary changes, I’m also worried about the damage this storm is going to do given it’s so slow moving. These islands just don’t need that kind of devastation. And honestly, if any of the eastern islands get hit hard, that could mean cancelled ports of call for furtive cruises too. 

Puerto Rico is barely recovered from hurricane Maria that devastated it.  We were there at a stop on Magic in June, and there are still stores not back - some due to hurricane, some to pandemic.  I know they got hit hard, and power is out.  Prayers out to them and the DR.

• Like 1

Evidently the entire island is without power.  Plus the back end of Fiona has torrential rains.  Been no social media posts from several places in San Juan that usually post daily.  Moving on to DR now and track and models seem to indicate it will miss Turk Caicos (Western edge of cone) and Bermuda (Eastern edge of cone).  

15 hours ago, jsglow said:

We're a bit out of pocket. Any itinerary changes? And prayers for the folks in PR and DR. We've got friends in Ponce and they seem to have been spared the worst of it.

My daughter did a mission trip to Ponce in 2018.  I'm glad to read they were spared.

Our son will be doing a mission trip in Rincon in November.  Any word how they made out?

9 hours ago, style9ine said:

What did you do in Charleston? Looking at just in case port at this point. I already know our Bermuda port is highly most likely not happening. 😩 😞 

We walked a lot.  We did the City Market, then  walked up about a mile or so, then went over a block and back down toward the water on a street with a lot of shopping (King Street?).  We visited Battery Park (and saw some dolphins), then walked back to the ship along the water (there was a second park with fountains).

It was a nice, slow paced day.  We took our own water from the ship, so it was just a sight seeing, no-cost day.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, skywalkr2 said:

I am on a cruise starting Saturday whose itinerary falls right into the oncoming Tropical Storm Fiona's track.  What does Carnival generally do in cases like this? I would assume they would sail away from the track and change port itinerary?  They wouldn't sail INTO the storm track and just tell people to stay in their rooms as the boat lists from side to side 🙂

Anyway just looking for some insight from those that have been in this situation preivously.

I’m on the Saturday Bermuda cruise out of NYC on the Magic. I’ve been wondering the same. Thanks for this post and all the info you guys!

Edited by KyloRen

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

My daughter did a mission trip to Ponce in 2018.  I'm glad to read they were spared.

Our son will be doing a mission trip in Rincon in November.  Any word how they made out?

They posted that they are okay yesterday but as I understand it, there's no power on the island so the gensets are likely quite busy again. 

On 9/15/2022 at 8:29 PM, medianeh said:

We live in New York and went on the Pride out of Baltimore scheduled to go to the Eastern Caribbean.  Hurricane Matthew was making his way through the Caribbean, so they changed our itinerary to where else......NEW YORK - just where we came from  😂

We live near Buffalo, so it was fun to spend 2 days in NYC.

About half the ship decided to just get off in New York, so after that we did circles in the Atlantic for the rest of the time.  It probably was one of the best cruises we were on.  There was more staff than passengers.  

A friend of mine was supposed to sail out of New York to Bermuda when their itinerary was changed.  To sail to East Coast of Canada where he is from. He was not happy. 
I'd have to say, pretty much any itinerary change would be fine for me except that one.  I'd be so disappointed.  I dont' think I'd ever sail out of the more northern ports for that reason. 

On 9/15/2022 at 12:45 PM, pacruise804 said:

My husband and I were on the Sunrise in September of 2019 heading to Bermuda.  They did not change course and we ended up sailing to Charleston (which was a beautiful port day).  It was some of the roughest seas we ever encountered - many people were even sleeping in the public areas to be as low and center as possible.  

I doubt they would do that again, but pack some motion sickness pills just in case 😉

Hope you have a great cruise with calm seas!

I was on that voyage and it was very scary.  I still don't understand why the captain chose to head to Bermuda even though the hurricane was bearing down on it.  After more than a dozen cruises and another one where there were hurricances in the Caribbean, I never experienced anything like it.  For that cruise the captain just moved the port days around and we had sunshine all the way. I guess I'll never know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

Sounds like there may be extensive damage in Grand Turk but no casualties per early reports. Bermuda may suffer a much worse fate, unfortunately. Also looks like there may be something powerful approaching the Yucatan and Gulf next week. Good grief.

The storm approaching the Yucatan may be even worse as islands such as Aruba are rarely hit and thus aren't as "storm proof" as sitting ducks like Turks and Caicos or Bermuda.

• Like 1