Quantum & Ovation Plus - 30 Day Live (hopefully)

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think we’re going to buy a large print from a local photographer. This is one that we’re considering. 

973E2FA4-58A1-498F-85D1-BA6E8E4E7F29.thumb.jpeg.1591673895545a40e013ad0304f78b8c.jpeg

And for comparison, here’s a professional version of the picture that I took under the Hanalei pier.  

F9E86FA3-33FE-48C8-A723-BA83F17F4553.thumb.jpeg.3b9b7a8b3fc7dfe691665ee2b4cbfeb6.jpeg

Those look amazing. I wonder though if the green water is natural or enhanced in editing.

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Great meal tonight at the hotel sushi restaurant called Stevenson’s Library. I started with a Koala Koola, a dark (floater) and coconut rum drink with Midori and pineapple juice. Micheline, of course, had a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. 

A957B6D5-835A-4DA0-B1E2-1F6269815DF0.thumb.jpeg.39b242b488851eaaa1c6b5153cac61df.jpeg

We snacked on edamame while enjoying our drinks. My cocktail disappeared quickly so I had to replace it with a smoked Manhattan with Whistle Pig rye. Perfect.

We then split a Shipwreck roll (named after the beach in front of the hotel) and a sushi pizza. Both were excellent.  We’ll definitely make the sushi pizza at home…ahi, salmon, onion, tobiko mushroom, and various sushi sauces on naan. Very good. 

63495FCA-728A-40AE-B75F-E9EC42BBF38D.thumb.jpeg.ea26b6b44ba493c1859e2518db66c5cc.jpeg

D8F46245-089E-4D18-B0BE-C48D3A5271F0.thumb.jpeg.c2867f6a9bf89183c40866faaa16128a.jpeg

Apologies to @Ocean Boy and any other Italians reading this thread, but the Tiramisushi dessert was outstanding. Chocolate ganache, chocolate cake, Kauai coffee mousse, crème anglaise caramel sauce, raspberry coulis. Incredible. 

D6DE783A-4EC9-40E3-937E-84C7FFDBB1D8.thumb.jpeg.70317cb9de93b59f9c3946f6137d4abf.jpeg

Wow  that place looks amazing. Love the smoked old fashioned. The Salmon on top of the roll is a big chunk. And that chocolate dessert. I’m writing this place down.

Edited by Sea Dog

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Those look amazing. I wonder though if the green water is natural or enhanced in editing.

I think all of the prints available for purchase in the various galleries around here are pretty significantly post processed. You’re no longer in journalism Greg…artistic enhancement is allowed! 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning from Kauai, our last full day here. I don’t want to think about tomorrow yet. ☹️  Today’s plan is to drive the Waimea Canyon. We had an overcast day yesterday and spent the day dodging rain drops (a couple of times not successfully).  It looks like more of the same today. Hopefully, we’ll still get some nice canyon views. Time for another visit to the Hyatt’s amazing breakfast buffet. Are you listening Windjammer?

More to come…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think all of the prints available for purchase in the various galleries around here are pretty significantly post processed. You’re no longer in journalism Greg…artistic enhancement is allowed! 🤣🤣

I can now answer when asked why I enhanced the photo I can say "artistic license." 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Good morning from Kauai, our last full day here. I don’t want to think about tomorrow yet. ☹️  Today’s plan is to drive the Waimea Canyon. We had an overcast day yesterday and spent the day dodging rain drops (a couple of times not successfully).  It looks like more of the same today. Hopefully, we’ll still get some nice canyon views. Time for another visit to the Hyatt’s amazing breakfast buffet. Are you listening Windjammer?

More to come…

I hope this is a great day today!  Looking forward to more pics!

There are many things that I love about Hawaii. I’m reminded of two of those things whenever I eat breakfast…coffee and pineapple. The coffee is SO good, especially if you’re drinking 100% Kona coffee. The pineapple however is from a different planet. The very best pineapples never leave the islands. They have the perfect level of sweetness and just melt in your mouth. I’ve never been able to find anything like it anywhere else. I could eat a plate full for breakfast, and wash it down with Kona coffee. 

• Like 10

Somewhere…maybe earlier in this thread…we were talking about how some hotels have now defaulted to no housekeeping service. They will only provide service if asked. The Grand Hyatt takes a different approach that I like. They provide housekeeping by default. If you hang a card on your door knob by 11:00pm, they will not service your room the next day, and they’ll give

you a $10 dining credit. Brilliant idea. 

• Like 10

You inspired us to do a Hawaiian cruise next

year on Quantum.   Now I have a lot to

catch up on reading from your trip.

Thank you!!

I love all of your pictures, specially

the ones from Hawaii.

Edited by LATTELOVE

7 hours ago, LATTELOVE said:

You inspired us to do a Hawaiian cruise next

year on Quantum.   Now I have a lot to

catch up on reading from your trip.

Thank you!!

I love all of your pictures, specially

the ones from Hawaii.

Definitely spend some time on one of the islands, before or after the cruise.  Rent a car and have fun exploring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s Mai Tai time, aka happy hour. We had a long, fun day today and are currently enjoying a drink while waiting for a table at a restaurant called Keoki’s Paradise. 

15B2CC4D-53F7-449C-8B11-510C96D38576.thumb.jpeg.c9731c43800196facc9bd004801bf9a1.jpeg

Their Mai Tai is good, but not the best I’ve had. That title still belongs to The Hula Grill in Kaanapali. I’ve learned that the base ingredients are more or less the same everywhere and the difference is In the juice that they use. The Hula Grill uses POG juice…Passionfruit, Orange, Guava. The guava juice seems to make the difference. I’ll need to see if I can get passionfruit juice and guava juice at home. If not, there’s always Amazon. 

• Like 6

For our Waimea Canyon drive today, we used a guide app called Shaka Guide. On Ovation, we met a family who lives on Maui and they recommended it. Good call. The app started with a visit to Kauai Coffee Company. We got to taste their coffee and see how coffee is made. It was a nice way to start the day. 

703F9624-FAC8-45ED-967A-CF7CE4CA9155.thumb.jpeg.ed390fdcf9ccfd102307973a7fc5be54.jpeg

05F4F9BD-CABC-403D-ADC0-BD7C28D1CA92.thumb.jpeg.84350623e3a72e2ad8cee2c76b528ed1.jpeg

DC17E59D-7666-4FF5-9003-DEADEB869F2C.thumb.jpeg.5041d03992101def7e566e011677d731.jpeg

A little coffee humor. 

29574AF1-E5CD-4D47-B1BA-6B9ABB76712D.thumb.jpeg.3245144388ea18edce444ba2921d507f.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

It’s Mai Tai time, aka happy hour. We had a long, fun day today and are currently enjoying a drink while waiting for a table at a restaurant called Keoki’s Paradise. 

15B2CC4D-53F7-449C-8B11-510C96D38576.thumb.jpeg.c9731c43800196facc9bd004801bf9a1.jpeg

Their Mai Tai is good, but not the best I’ve had. That title still belongs to The Hula Grill in Kaanapali. I’ve learned that the base ingredients are more or less the same everywhere and the difference is In the juice that they use. The Hula Grill uses POG juice…Passionfruit, Orange, Guava. The guava juice seems to make the difference. I’ll need to see if I can get passionfruit juice and guava juice at home. If not, there’s always Amazon. 

Try in the frozen section.

https://www.target.com/p/goya-frozen-passion-fruit-14oz/-/A-47106679?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012732781&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BShopping_Local|Grocery_Ecomm_Food_Bev&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=m&location=1015116&targetid=pla-332457914846&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2IqYqJLf-gIVyODICh0YWQW1EAQYAyABEgL46fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Rent a car and have fun exploring. 

@LATTELOVE

We spent 2 days before our POA cruise touring Oahu with a rented car, as well as renting a car in every port during the cruise.

It was very easy, the roads were good, and most importantly -- the restrooms along the way were clean.

We were left with a very good impression of the possibility of touring Hawaii DIY "style".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good final morning from Kauai. One last sunset before we pack up and leave. 

3796E9C2-257C-4441-AC4C-CDDA816BEC0B.thumb.jpeg.5afa2c96ac0a6b974ca57c871d9be12b.jpeg

Today will be a LONG travel day. Hawaiian Air from Lihue to Honolulu, 3 hour layover, then Delta HNL-ATL-JAX. We arrive in Jacksonville at 8:30 tomorrow morning. 

I have a lot more to post about. We didn’t have as much “downtime” that last couple of days where I would normally edit pics and squeeze in some posts. I might post a few things from airports during layovers, but I will probably mostly get caught up when we get home…and I can post from a computer rather than this &*#%$ phone. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@LATTELOVE

We spent 2 days before our POA cruise touring Oahu with a rented car, as well as renting a car in every port during the cruise.

It was very easy, the roads were good, and most importantly -- the restrooms along the way were clean.

We were left with a very good impression of the possibility of touring Hawaii DIY "style".

I fully agree with Dani. I’ll add that on Maui and Kauai, it’s difficult to get lost. There are only a few main roads to take you from A to B. Cell service is mostly good and Google Maps knows where everything is. Oahu on the other hand is more congested and confusing. Again though, Google Maps is your friend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

and I can post from a computer rather than this &*#%$ phone. 

You did a great job posting from the phone and the pics were great.   I hope you have a safe trip home.  Thanks for taking the time to take us along.

• Like 6

Misc. thought while waiting for our flight. Chickens and roosters are everywhere on Kauai. Sort of like Key West. They are smart in that they know humans have food, especially in touristy areas. You see them all over the place on signs, shirts, hats, etc. 

There was a sign in a store yesterday that said “The rooster crows, but the hen delivers”.  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Today will be a LONG travel day. Hawaiian Air from Lihue to Honolulu, 3 hour layover, then Delta HNL-ATL-JAX. We arrive in Jacksonville at 8:30 tomorrow morning. 

I don’t envy that long travel day.  I absolutely hate those overnight flights.  

Safe travels to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

For our Waimea Canyon drive today, we used a guide app called Shaka Guide. On Ovation, we met a family who lives on Maui and they recommended it. Good call. The app started with a visit to Kauai Coffee Company. We got to taste their coffee and see how coffee is made. It was a nice way to start the day. 

Do you know Bad Ass Coffee Company on Maui was still in business?  We use to drink a lot of that when we lived in Hawaii and at one time was able to find it here in Northern Virginia.  They have a Kona Peaberry that was wonderful.