Tips

jeanneful

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Just because there is a tip option does not mean that the job's wage structure is designed in a way that tips are an expected part of their compensation.

Certain jobs, like restaurant servers, are specifically paid (much) less than normal minimum wage because tips are expected to make up the difference. Some times many, many times the difference. There is a societal expected amount, and you tip more for exceptional and less for poor service. If service is poor enough that you are inclined to stiff them, you really should talk to management.

There are plenty of jobs where one could argue that the person preforming the service is paid enough on base charge, but again societal expectations peer pressure people into a somewhat standard rate. This rate is less than that of jobs where tips subsidize their wages. Things like barbers, stylists, etc.

Then there jobs where the tip is truly a bonus for exceptional service.

Are the auto-gratuity-options on modern POS systems always appropriate for the place of business? No.

Remember these 2 rules:

1. Never piss off anyone that handles your food
  2. Always make your bartender happy

I just saw a recent story where someone was upset at a restaurant when no one would come to her table. Finally the manager came over and said that no server wanted to serve her since she never tips anything.

Not "depending" on tips and earning a "living wage" may be true, but is a false equivalency. The wages that the jobs that the tips go to are based on tips making up a portion of their total compensation. If gratuities were built into the base cruise fare, their wages would be adjusted accordingly. Maybe it's true that if everyone removed their tips, they would still make a "living wage", but that's not what they signed up for

People can argue all they want about whether tipping should be built in or not, or whether the entire concept of tipping or tip based jobs are morally just, but the fact is, when we take a cruise on Royal Caribbean, we are expected to pay gratuities to certain people, either automatically or "manually". To not pay any gratuities at all is not going to convince Royal Caribbean to change their compensation model, it only hurts the hard working staff. If you want it to change, take it up with the corporate office.

I would love to have gratuities built in, but honestly, to me it's an expected cost, and I have no problem paying it. I have not ever felt it necessary to tip extra, and I don't pre-pay. I have the daily charges on my room and pay at the end. I'm just glad we don't have to shove cash in envelopes on the last night anymore.

They signed on for a wage of $XX, and they are guaranteed that. Budgeting for bonuses and extras is a mistake. 
Make no mistake, I tip those I come in contact and who make an extra impact handsomely. I will not, however, participate in a scheme that uses the laundry staff and the dishwashers as a “guilt pawn”. They get paid well to wash dishes and laundry, nothing more. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No; JS pays the same rate as standard staterooms in the automatic gratuity program. 

The whole concept of the JS is bizarre.  You get an extra CAS point, and you get to board early, but you pay normal gratuities, have no concierge access, and miss out on other suite benefits.  It can be very confusing for newbies.  Maybe they should just call it an "extra-spacious balcony room with a tub".  

• Thanks 2

On 9/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

You can "Think" it's part of the cruise far all you want. It is not. You can go to guest services and take it away if you wish, at will. You CANNOT go to guest services and take your cruise far away if you want. See the very very basis difference? It's currently on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line an individual's choice. Regardless of who likes it or who does not. 

However, like you said using different words, TIPing is an "OPT OUT" program.  Unless you pay in advance or you don't go to Customer Service to "OPT OUT" the TIP amount will be charged to your cabin daily.

8 hours ago, Ret MP said:

However, like you said using different words, TIPing is an "OPT OUT" program.  Unless you pay in advance or you don't go to Customer Service to "OPT OUT" the TIP amount will be charged to your cabin daily.

Lol. You can't quote someone and use different words. I never mentioned it being an opt out program in my life. Or in my opinion words that could be translated to that effect. Nor ever mentioned paying in advance. Ever. Lol. But go ahead "quote" me. Lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Lol. You can't quote someone and use different words. I never mentioned it being an opt out program in my life. Or in my opinion words that could be translated to that effect. Nor ever mentioned paying in advance. Ever. Lol. But go ahead "quote" me. Lol.

WOW, I guess you can't just agree with someone and elaborate in a different way anymore. And then be accused of quoting when nothing of the sort happened.  When I quote I use "xxx". 

Here, I will quote you now, "You can go to guest services and take it away if you wish, at will".  In other words, you can go to Guest Services and OPT OUT.  Imagine that!

I apologize if my agreeing with you offended you!  NOT!

• Haha 1

I really don't have a problem with the current TIPing system.  However, if I was asked how to make it a little less controversial, I'd say:

If a service doesn't directly provide a face to face or behind the scenes service/support of a face to face service provider, don't include it into the TIPing system.  

For example:  If you don't use the laundry service, why should your TIP money go to the laundry service that you don't use.  Maybe charge a gratuity on a per use system like drinks.  A dishwasher person does provide direct service support to diners. So, I don't have a problem with that.  A bartender that provide a drink to a server and not directly to the guest should be part of the tip system unless, and I don't know for sure how this works if the included 18% of that particular sale goes to both the server and the bartender.  If not, the bartender is deserving of something.  

I do believe the system could be tweaked a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

WOW, I guess you can't just agree with someone and elaborate in a different way anymore. And then be accused of quoting when nothing of the sort happened.  When I quote I use "xxx". 

Here, I will quote you now, "You can go to guest services and take it away if you wish, at will".  In other words, you can go to Guest Services and OPT OUT.  Imagine that!

I apologize if my agreeing with you offended you!  NOT!

I'm not offended and really didn't take it seriously. I thought it was funny that you said "however, like you said using different words". It wasn't a slam or anything. People here will twist your words, so I just think it's safer to quote them as is. Sorry you took it to heart. 

On 9/17/2022 at 12:15 PM, rudeney said:

The whole concept of the JS is bizarre.  You get an extra CAS point, and you get to board early, but you pay normal gratuities, have no concierge access, and miss out on other suite benefits.  It can be very confusing for newbies.  Maybe they should just call it an "extra-spacious balcony room with a tub".  

They should call it anything but a suite.  It's not a suite.  Most of Royal Caribbean's "suites" aren't suites.  By definition, a suite is a series of rooms designed to work together, but Royal Caribbean uses it to mean a larger /nicer room.  Totally wrong.  As a language teacher, I despise words being used incorrectly -- especially when it's done to try to extract more money from a customer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

They should call it anything but a suite.  It's not a suite.  Most of Royal Caribbean's "suites" aren't suites.  By definition, a suite is a series of rooms designed to work together, but Royal Caribbean uses it to mean a larger /nicer room.  Totally wrong.  As a language teacher, I despise words being used incorrectly -- especially when it's done to try to extract more money from a customer.

Meh, I can go with the GS, OS, Royal, Sky and Star class rooms being called "suites".  While they may not all have separate rooms, they have separate areas.  Sort of "open concept" suites.  We were looking at booking a suite on Celebrity - boy are some of theirs small!  I think the entry-level suite is about the size of an RCCL balcony stateroom.  DCL does suites pretty well - we had a 1BR on DCL Wonder that was wonderful - 2 bathrooms!

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I agree.  This is something that bugs me too.

Is it expected to tip bartenders separately and above what you’ve already included in prepaid gratuities?  I thought the whole point of prepaying gratuities was so you wouldn’t have to worry about constantly having cash on hand during your vacation to tip with or being stuck with a bill after the cruise has ended?  Am I wrong?

7 minutes ago, desibee said:

Is it expected to tip bartenders separately and above what you’ve already included in prepaid gratuities?  I thought the whole point of prepaying gratuities was so you wouldn’t have to worry about constantly having cash on hand during your vacation to tip with or being stuck with a bill after the cruise has ended?  Am I wrong?

Yes

You are wrong 

Bar tabs have 18% added automatically, there is no way around it. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes

You are wrong 

Bar tabs have 18% added automatically, there is no way around it. 

So because it’s added automatically it somehow is not a tip anymore?  Restaurants where I come from will add an 18% gratuity to large tables but you aren’t expected to tip on top of that automatic gratuity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please #3 below.  A cabin, even on a ship, that has multiple rooms but form a single unit can be referred to as a "suite" even a Jr Suite, although loosely defined as a suite only because there aren't physical walls differentiating the living room from the bedroom, et al:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/suite

"suite

(swēt)

n.
1. A staff of attendants or followers; a retinue.
a. A group of related things intended to be used together; a set.
b. (also so͞ot) A set of matching furniture: a dining room suite.
3. A series of connected rooms, as in a hotel or office building, used as a single
unit".

The definition doesn't mention anything about how nice or big the unit is or isn't.  I actually don't have a problem with a Jr Suite being called a Jr Suite.  Although I wouldn't book one, the lack of suite amenities isn't attractive to me.  
YMMV

25 minutes ago, desibee said:

Unless you have a drinks plan or soda plan. Then I think your 18% is a done deal. 

• Like 1

The bottom line with tipping on Royal Caribbean is that tipping is optional, with only a few exceptions, bar service for example.  If you buy a drink, it has an 18% gratuity attached to it.  It's up to you if you want to tip extra for good service that exceeds your expectations. 

1 minute ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Unless you have a drinks plan or soda plan. Then I think your 18% is a done deal. 

Yes, not just a plan though, even if you are paying for drinks ala carte.  At least that's how I remember it.