At a non-embarkation port, is bringing on luggage OK?

We're boarding Coral in Sydney on the 26th Sept and returning to Brisbane on the 13th Oct.

Flying to Sydney from Brisbane and then the first port of call is Brisbane.

We'd prefer to travel light with carry-on only on the flight to Sydney.

So the question is, is there any impediment to our getting off in Brisbane, going home, and coming back on board with our main luggage?

I can't think that it would be an issue, but I thought I'd better check. 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

We're boarding Coral in Sydney on the 26th Sept and returning to Brisbane on the 13th Oct.

So the question is, is there any impediment to our getting off in Brisbane, going home, and coming back on board with our main luggage?

No idea but what a great idea! Can’t see it being a problem cos if you buy something on shore it is scanned going back on board

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the luggage can fit through the onboard scanners which aren't very big. That could be the biggest issue unless Princess can come up with a better solution. They must have a large scanner somewhere down below in the ship so may take your luggage away for a short while to scan it.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

From Sinbad's original question, I have the impression that Brisbane is a port of call, not a turn-around port between cruises. My answer would be that they would not stop you taking a suitcase on board, but if it wasn't a turn-around port, it would have to be one that you could personally carry on board and one that would fit through their scanners.

I am thinking of doing something along those lines for the World Cruise. I live in Brisbane but was only able to book the cruise starting in Sydney. I realise that I could apply for permission to board in Brisbane, but I have decided to stay with the Sydney option. Flying domestically, I would have an excess baggage charge if I took everything I want to. Therefore I intend to have an extra bag (and a few more bottles of wine) brought down to the Brisbane terminal when the ship calls in. Because a lot of people are boarding that day, I figured I could just attach a luggage label and put my extra bag in with other checked bags. If that's a problem for Princess (although I can't see why it should be), I will be able to take it all on board with me.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the luggage can fit through the onboard scanners which aren't very big. That could be the biggest issue unless Princess can come up with a better solution. They must have a large scanner somewhere down below in the ship so may take your luggage away for a short while to scan it.

There is a large scanner below deck where all the large suitcases are scanned.

5 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Thats security's job is to check things comming on the ship if your bag cannot go through xray they can do a open bag check and you will be there to supervise. Staff and entertainer's disembark and board all the time . Will you be catching the 303 bus ? 😂

23 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Thats security's job is to check things comming on the ship if your bag cannot go through xray they can do a open bag check and you will be there to supervise. Staff and entertainer's disembark and board all the time . Will you be catching the 303 bus ? 😂

Crew and entertainers board in a different location, usually at ground level, where the luggage screening is available.

That said, I have seen passengers trying to take oversized luggage through check-in screening, and the case was opened for inspection.