Disembarkation Chaos at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

DCThunder

We self disembarked.  Brooklyn is not like Fort Lauderdale or Miami Cruise ports where you go outside and there are 100 cabs waiting.  There were limos and private cars, waiting for people who had reserved them.  I called what I thought was a taxi outside the terminal and it ended up being a black car.( private company) to take us to the airport. My advice is arrange transportation ahead of time if you have early flights.

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

If you walk up Fulton Street (which is a couple of blocks down from the Ferry terminal), you go right to the Occulus which is adjacent to the Museum and the two Memorial pools.  The entire walk is 20-30  minutes or so depending on how fast you walk and how much you want to look around.

Buy your 9/11 Museum tickets on line ahead of time. DO NOT buy when you get there.  The line is horrendous.  There are a lot (15-20) food carts of all different types lined up outside the Occulus, so you can get some food if you wish.  Inside the Occulus is standard upscale shopping, including an Apple store. The day I was there was when the new iPhone 14 was released so there were lots of youngin's lined up to get a new phone.

Thank you; two more questions.   How long was ferry ride from ship to wall street pier?

Did you stop at Johns pizza on Fulton St?

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Thank you; two more questions.   How long was ferry ride from ship to wall street pier?

Did you stop at Johns pizza on Fulton St?

The ferry ride is about 15 minutes but be sure you get the ferry Northbound and not Southbound (towards Bay Ridge).  The cost is $4.00/person each way. You can download an app to buy the tickets (NYC Ferry) for either Apple or Android phones or buy a ticket at the ferry terminal.  I'd actually recommend downloading the app and buying the tix that way.  

I did not stop at Johns Pizza, although I probably walked past it.  One highlight of the walk I sort of stumbled onto was St. Paul's Chapel, a historic Episcopal church in the shadow of the Twin Towers that was not damaged in their collapse.  It served as a relief center for recovery/rescue workers and its fence was where many memorials to those lost in the Towers and "Have You Seen Him/Her" posters of the missing were put up.   St. Paul's Chapel - Wikipedia.  A number of colonial era New Yorkers are also buried in the graveyard around the church and its interesting to walk around and look at tombstones from 250 years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCThunder said:

The ferry ride is about 15 minutes but be sure you get the ferry Northbound and not Southbound (towards Bay Ridge).  The cost is $4.00/person each way. You can download an app to buy the tickets (NYC Ferry) for either Apple or Android phones or buy a ticket at the ferry terminal.  I'd actually recommend downloading the app and buying the tix that way.  

I did not stop at Johns Pizza, although I probably walked past it.  One highlight of the walk I sort of stumbled onto was St. Paul's Chapel, a historic Episcopal church in the shadow of the Twin Towers that was not damaged in their collapse.  It served as a relief center for recovery/rescue workers and its fence was where many memorials to those lost in the Towers and "Have You Seen Him/Her" posters of the missing were put up.   St. Paul's Chapel - Wikipedia.  A number of colonial era New Yorkers are also buried in the graveyard around the church and its interesting to walk around and look at tombstones from 250 years ago.

So you walked from the ship to the ferry?  How far is that?

I was hoping that Princess and the on-shore folks and shuttle bus folks would have things worked out by now. I was on the Caribbean's first cruise of the season out of Brooklyn--August 15-31. The worst for me was my five and a half hour wait at LaGuardia to get to the ship. Disembarkation on our cruise ran behind. I was lucky to get off an hour after scheduled and to have a bus waiting for me. There was long wait for the people who disembarked later in the morning. Apparently the buses waiting when I disembarked were it. Some people missed their flights.

9 hours ago, awinte2 said:

We self disembarked.  Brooklyn is not like Fort Lauderdale or Miami Cruise ports where you go outside and there are 100 cabs waiting.  There were limos and private cars, waiting for people who had reserved them.  I called what I thought was a taxi outside the terminal and it ended up being a black car.( private company) to take us to the airport. My advice is arrange transportation ahead of time if you have early flights.

Can you share the car service that you used. Thank you

5 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Between 100 and 200 yards.  Go out of the entry to the BCT building and turn left and follow the sidewalk around to the left.

Thanks!!  Did you buy your ferry tix ahead of time? Are there various ferries there or is it clear which one to get on? 
Is the app NYC Ferry by Hornblower?

Edited by suzyed

We got off the Caribbean princess Tuesday at 9 am for LGA. Turns out it was the bus driver's first day...( I asked another bus driver who was assisting when we finally got off) He got to LGA and started taking bags off the bus, we were at the Delta terminal. Some people got off. He then exited the terminal back to the Interstate. People at the front of the bus were yelling directions. Back to the Delta terminal where we all told to exit. Most of us had no idea where we were, where to go...His exiting the terminal to Interstate and back cost us 45 mins..we got off the bus at 11:30. What a mess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suzyed said:

Thanks!!  Did you buy your ferry tix ahead of time? Are there various ferries there or is it clear which one to get on? 

on the iphone it's called NYC Ferry

35 minutes ago, kleffy8 said:

We got off the Caribbean princess Tuesday at 9 am for LGA. Turns out it was the bus driver's first day...( I asked another bus driver who was assisting when we finally got off) He got to LGA and started taking bags off the bus, we were at the Delta terminal. Some people got off. He then exited the terminal back to the Interstate. People at the front of the bus were yelling directions. Back to the Delta terminal where we all told to exit. Most of us had no idea where we were, where to go...His exiting the terminal to Interstate and back cost us 45 mins..we got off the bus at 11:30. What a mess.

Sorry to hear about your transfer problems.  Our bus to LGA was driven by a female who loaded all the luggage in what looked to be going in with no order. She did knew what she was doing though.   We were flying Delta which was the first drop off stop and all the luggage for Terminal C came out of one bin section.  We left the ship a few minutes past our scheduled meet time and bus was on its way at 9:39.  Got to LGA and by 10:45 we were at our gate.  Had about a 3 hours wait till boarding.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, suzyed said:

I actually downloaded the app and bought the tix while standing in line to board the ferry.  There were two lines, one to use the ticket machine to buy tix the other to board, but it was unclear which was which, so I got tin the boarding line and bought the tix on the app.  The ferrys run roughly every 30 minutes and as said upthread, you have to be careful you get on the one heading NB towards Wall Street, not SB to Bay Ridge.

And as someone else has said, it is the NYC Ferry app.  Hornblower is the company that operates them.

• Like 1

Why not call Uber or Lyft. Download the app and set it up before you leave home. Easy peasy. 

Past cruisers in Brooklyn have used www.carmellimo.com or www.dial7.com to prebook a pick up. 

Do not under any circumstances use a Gypsy cab you have not prebooked. Yellow medallion taxis are fine. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:31 PM, Jagggg said:

Can you share the car service that you used. Thank you

Sorry I did not keep the number.  But I believe I got it off a cruise critic board.  Also google Brooklyn taxi and car service and names will come up.

• Thanks 1