VAT Refund at Civitavecchia

Peggy Tuten

I'm guessing you will have a difficult time doing it in Civitavecchia as the VAT refund offices are generally at major airports -

Did find a pretty good article that may offer some alternatives.    I presume you are taking a TA home.

https://accountingbolla.com/blog/how-to-get-a-tax-refund-in-italy-the-ultimate-guide/#gref

Is Rome your last stop in the EU?  I don’t see any transatlantic cruises that go straight from Rome to the US. They all have stops in other EU countries. So you would not claim the VAT in Civitavechhia.  You do that in the last EU  port you visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm guessing you will have a difficult time doing it in Civitavecchia as the VAT refund offices are generally at major airports -

Did find a pretty good article that may offer some alternatives.    I presume you are taking a TA home.

https://accountingbolla.com/blog/how-to-get-a-tax-refund-in-italy-the-ultimate-guide/#gref

Thanks for the info - I do know how it works at airports- have done it many times - just haven’t been able to find out if there is an office at the port.  Probably not worth the hassle as I’m not likely to spend much more than the minimum required.

15 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

When you determine your last European port, this might help:

https://www.globalblue.com/tax-free-shopping/refund-points/

Thanks for the reminder about ports after Rome.  Last EU port is the Azores. But it looks like I may be able to find an office in Majorca. I just don’t plan on doing much shopping after Rome and don’t want to lug my purchases around in case a Customs Officer wants to see them as they have the right to do. They usually don’t sometimes I have had to show them. 

Doing a VAT refund at ports is difficult to impossible.  At Civitevecchia good luck at finding someone.

Recently in Reykjavik at the port we greeted with blank looks and told to mail the stuff.  They had no idea where or how.  Someone then said Greenlandcwas our final EU port.  OK. . . . then what.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2022 at 1:42 PM, Alakegirl said:

Civitavvecchhia isn’t the OP’s final EU port so the lack of a VAT refund office there doesn’t matter.

Ponta Delgada, Azores, is where the VAT refund would need to be processed.

That is upstairs in the Funchal terminal. Don’t go during lunchtime!

Are you all sure about this?  Because on a cruise you don't "technically" enter various countries within the Schengen area.   I really have no idea how this works, but it's an interesting question.  On one hand, it makes sense that the last country you're in would be the one but, on the other hand, does the immigration system put you down as exiting the area in Civitavecchia?

There is a customs office (ufficio delle dogane) at the port.  I don't know if it is for commercial traffic only or it if services individuals, but it's worth an e-mail to ask the quesiton.

Contact info here:  Ufficio delle Dogane di Civitavecchia - Agenzia delle dogane e dei Monopoli (adm.gov.it)

The e-mail address listed for the office is dogane.civitavecchia@adm.gov.it

On 10/27/2022 at 12:56 AM, MaisonRose said:

That is upstairs in the Funchal terminal. Don’t go during lunchtime!

Funchal is in Madeira.

To button this up, for the Constellation's stop in Ponta Delgada, Azores, yesterday, customs agents were onboard from 9-4 to stamp receipts.

I was surprised and depressed because I didn't bother getting the VAT paperwork, figuring I'd never get my stamps. 🤷‍♀️

• 11 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 4:51 PM, hrhdhd said:

Funchal is in Madeira.

To button this up, for the Constellation's stop in Ponta Delgada, Azores, yesterday, customs agents were onboard from 9-4 to stamp receipts.

I was surprised and depressed because I didn't bother getting the VAT paperwork, figuring I'd never get my stamps. 🤷‍♀️

Hello, I will out of Europe by Rome in a transatlantic cruise to Brazil, the last city we will pass is the Funchal (Portugal).

I didn't nothing information for how to proceed. I wanted to buy around 1.500 euros for person in Rome.

Could you help us?