Grab and go on Iona

Rob DJ

Hi all,

Is the "Grab and Go" service on Iona (the self-serve sandwich/snack bar near the infinity pool) up and running?

I noted from vlogs earlier in the year that this didn't look to be operating yet, probably due to CV, but I suspect it might now be available?

Thanks,

Rob DJ 

Yeah, we were a bit surprised it wasn’t open, only thing I could think of was that they seem to be struggling with staff shortages still and it’s something quite easy to close to save staff preparing/stocking it up?

1 hour ago, galeforce9 said:

Money saving no doubt. Not sure how this is impacted by covid measures

Easy if its anything like on Britannia where people take items out of the cabinet and look at them and maul them and put them back. Yes, they are wrapped but still a chance of infection from people mauling the food and then putting them back.

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Easy if its anything like on Britannia where people take items out of the cabinet and look at them and maul them and put them back. Yes, they are wrapped but still a chance of infection from people mauling the food and then putting them back.

Most risk from airborne transmission

11 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Most risk from airborne transmission

Perhaps so but still not very hygienic and totally unnecessary to remove items from chiller cabinet and handle them and then replace them because you dont want them. The early days of Britannia they stopped stocking it so early because on port days the cabinet was empty within minutes because people were grabbing items to take off the ship for lunch.

Edited by majortom10

2 hours ago, Miks said:

Yeah, we were a bit surprised it wasn’t open, only thing I could think of was that they seem to be struggling with staff shortages still and it’s something quite easy to close to save staff preparing/stocking it up?

On Britannia there were some sandwiches available in the buffet, but obviously not wrapped, however you could have used a tray to carry a light lunch to your room.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps so but still not very hygienic and totally unnecessary to remove items from chiller cabinet and handle them and then replace them because you dont want them. 

You must be really hungry in your house, or very self sufficient and don't buy any food, bread, milk or meat from a shop😕

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps so but still not very hygienic and totally unnecessary to remove items from chiller cabinet and handle them and then replace them because you dont want them. The early days of Britannia they stopped stocking it so early because on port days the cabinet was empty within minutes because people were grabbing items to take off the ship for lunch.

For some folk it's important to know what ingredients are in them. If the list isn't clear, the package needs to be examined.

• Like 4

IMO the grab and go issue is more about Norovirus which can be spread by contact. Also the grab and go is not staff supervised or even overlooked so people WILL take items out, maul them and put them back and you don't know if they have washed their hands.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, davecttr said:

IMO the grab and go issue is more about Norovirus which can be spread by contact. Also the grab and go is not staff supervised or even overlooked so people WILL take items out, maul them and put them back and you don't know if they have washed their hands.

Is looking at the tiny writing on the label..Mauling, or simply looking 🤔 

Ask P&O to provide clear ingredient lists in large lettering on the displays and there will be no need to examine the package. Except of course that people will want to look closely so they get the 'best' or 'largest' sarnie. Do what Marella do, the items are wrapped in opaque packaging 😈

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Ask P&O to provide clear ingredient lists in large lettering on the displays and there will be no need to examine the package. Except of course that people will want to look closely so they get the 'best' or 'largest' sarnie. Do what Marella do, the items are wrapped in opaque packaging 😈

It wasn't in operation last year, so don't miss it. On Britannia in October will probably not bother. Off to the trough for a slice of pizza. Much more hygienic. 

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

On Britannia there were some sandwiches available in the buffet, but obviously not wrapped, however you could have used a tray to carry a light lunch to your room.

That what we did, was really nice to eat out on the balcony 

55 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It wasn't in operation last year, so don't miss it. On Britannia in October will probably not bother. Off to the trough for a slice of pizza. Much more hygienic. 

I agree, getting a slice or 2 of pizza placed on your plate is better. In fact any buffet areas that make up your plate for you get my vote.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, davecttr said:

I agree, getting a slice or 2 of pizza placed on your plate is better. In fact any buffet areas that make up your plate for you get my vote.

The last 2 cruises we have been on ,the buffet was self service. Celebrity and RC

We will find out what Britannia is doing next week. On RC the entrance had been changed so you had to go through the hand washing area. I wonder if the P&O folk will be singing the washy, washy song. I hope so.