What to do with my banned items?

danogg

We are going on a cruise on the Equinox but are heading onward to Mexico for the remainder of the winter after we disembark.  I need to bring items for our stay in Mexico that are not permitted on the cruise such as a frying pan, chef’s knife, some food and spices, power strip and extension cord.  If I pack these items separately in my carryon and inform them of them when I embark, will they hold them for me for the cruise duration? 

Usually prohibited items are confiscated and held in the "naughty room" until the cruise ends. These are normally brought by passengers who "didn't know" they were prohibited, ie. power strip. But not sure what Celebrity would do with a whole bag of intentionals such as what you've described.

Do you already know the address of the location you're staying in while in Mexico?  If so, why not pack a small box and mail those items to yourself?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, danogg said:

We are going on a cruise on the Equinox but are heading onward to Mexico for the remainder of the winter after we disembark.  I need to bring items for our stay in Mexico that are not permitted on the cruise such as a frying pan, chef’s knife, some food and spices, power strip and extension cord.  If I pack these items separately in my carryon and inform them of them when I embark, will they hold them for me for the cruise duration? 

They always have for us.  We've not had that many but we've had a knife, etc and you pick it up after you get off the ship or the night before.  I've had it done both ways.

• Like 1

Presuming this will be in a checked bag, maybe you could include a note visible when they open up the bag explaining the situation so they don't get too excited thinking they've found the greatest cache of banned items all together. Just an idea. 

• Haha 1

Package them up in a single box so that they're easy to keep together while they're in lock-up, label it with your name and cabin number, and hand that package over separately at boarding with your explanation.

We've done this when we've had substantial pre-cruise time somewhere that included items like a travel iron.

• Like 2

Agree with others.   They will take them from you at checkin and give you a claim ticket to recover them on disembarkation.    I saw someone in line who had bought  knife in a port and they were taking it for the duration of the cruise.

It may be best for you to have all of the items with you  and declare at the metal detector or you will be called down to the naughty room later to have them processed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

Presuming this will be in a checked bag, maybe you could include a note visible when they open up the bag explaining the situation so they don't get too excited thinking they've found the greatest cache of banned items all together. Just an idea. 

I was actually going to transfer the items to my carry one and have them all packaged together to make it easier.  I just hope I ge the items back after the cruise.  I’ll be pissed if I lose my favourite chef knife.

4 minutes ago, danogg said:

I was actually going to transfer the items to my carry one and have them all packaged together to make it easier.  I just hope I ge the items back after the cruise.  I’ll be pissed if I lose my favourite chef knife.

I would not suggest bringing your favorite chef knife.  Although, I'm sure the cruise line will reasonably do all they can to care for the items, they likely do not have any responsibility if something does get lost.  Keep in mind you are essentially asking them to provide free storage.

• Like 1

I would have a separate carryon for the items you know Celebrity will question instead of having to take them out of your carryon. A locked small suitcase of a sealed box would be better. If you are up front about what is in the package they should take it and hold it for you. As an alternative, are you staying in Fll both pre & post cruise at the same hotel.  Perhaps you can arrange for the hotel to hold the package for you.

3 hours ago, danogg said:

Yes, I missed that originally. I’ve had some bad experiences with the pierside security staff (not knowing policies, snide comments, etc.) and know they don’t work for the cruise line which. That’s why I went in my mind to checking it and dealing with the shipboard staff because then you know it’s made it on the ship but that’s just my biases at work probably. 

1 hour ago, sbcs5390 said:

Yes, I missed that originally. I’ve had some bad experiences with the pierside security staff (not knowing policies, snide comments, etc.) and know they don’t work for the cruise line which. That’s why I went in my mind to checking it and dealing with the shipboard staff because then you know it’s made it on the ship but that’s just my biases at work probably. 

I would agree. I’d rather deal with the naughty room staff who are obviously Celebrity employees than the contractors manning the magnetometers. That way you know it made it on board. Maybe even tape a note on the checked bag so they can see what you’re doing.  

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1