Is this Boarding Time a Joke???

WestonOne

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Unless the embedding

Your photo is not 'embedded' in the card. As WestonOne suggests, it's simply stored in the database of passengers. Your entry, with photo, can then be retrieved by your name, or a barcode (such as is on the boarding pass) or chip (such as with the room card). And, speaking of a chip, when did the room cards get chip technology? I was surprised, on our trip in December, to be able to tap to purchase drinks and goods. On prior trips I must have had to visit the Purser's Desk at least twice to replace my card because the magnetic strip went bad. That didn't happen once in December. Oops. I'm hijacking this thread... I should start a new one.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

I have just been allocated the cabin number, but the boarding time is still 15:45.  As before, I will not be areiving that late.

15:45 boarding is insane .

Puts you at the end of the line to sign up for limited things that can only be done once onboard , not to mention missing lunch . Get there when you get there .

19 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

15:45 boarding is insane .

Puts you at the end of the line to sign up for limited things that can only be done once onboard , not to mention missing lunch . Get there when you get there .

Ok.. what things should I be looking to book as soon as aboard (2 weeks tomorrow). Does the Grills concierge manage to get difficult to get stuff - whatever that may be.  I’m an absolute beginner at this… 

yes. Hope to be getting lunch; what time does boarding start (have 12:45 suggested time). Likely arriving an hour before that on Fastcat from IoW - taxi from ferry terminal to QM2 permitting (too long to walk with cases) 

45 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Ok.. what things should I be looking to book as soon as aboard (2 weeks tomorrow). Does the Grills concierge manage to get difficult to get stuff - whatever that may be.  I’m an absolute beginner at this… 

yes. Hope to be getting lunch; what time does boarding start (have 12:45 suggested time). Likely arriving an hour before that on Fastcat from IoW - taxi from ferry terminal to QM2 permitting (too long to walk with cases) 

I have no experience with the Grills , but us Brittania commoners would be reserving things like Spa , Speciality restaurants , Planetarium , Shore tours using OBC , etc. .

4 hours ago, MCC retired said:

I have no experience with the Grills , but us Brittania commoners would be reserving things like Spa , Speciality restaurants , Planetarium , Shore tours using OBC , etc. .

Don't look at the negative aspects all will workout.

There's plenty to do and as Grill we  never had a problem on this sailing.

Did and secured most of your mentioning above without a problem.

Bon Voyage and relax.

12 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

We usually have noon as a check in/boarding time on QE/QV and get there a little beforehand. You won't be turned away while you wait.

I can't think of many things you might need to book apart from hair or general spa appointments and if needed, book those when you board, hair at any rate.

You won't be making any Mid Atlantic shore excursions [hopefully] and I wouldn't bother with supplementary dining as you will have a wonderful time in the restaurant.

Don't forget the QG mantra of 'if the ingredients are on the ship, the chef will make it for you' if you fancy any off menu dining. The Maître'd or your Head Waiter should be asking if you would like anything which isn't on the menu and if they don't, then ask.

The concierge and your butler will be your new best friends. Nothing is too small a query. If in doubt, ask.

and most important, ENJOY. 🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

The only thing I’ve ever thought of booking soon after boarding was the ship’s tour, which they don’t seem to be doing at present. The Grills Concierge will be friendly and helpful, and have Planetarium tickets - or used to.

Lunch starts later on embarkation day. Indeed in July it started at 1.30, so you shouldn’t miss it. This also gives you a chance to try and get your table changed if you don’t like the position.

im sure you’ll have a lovely time -weather permitting.

21 minutes ago, snowballs mom said:

We also have been assigned a late boarding time in Brooklyn (15:00). How late is lunch served on embarkation day? Thanks!

There likely will be something in the Kings Court - need to go to deck 7 anyway to check in at the muster station.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The only thing I’ve ever thought of booking soon after boarding was the ship’s tour, which they don’t seem to be doing at present. The Grills Concierge will be friendly and helpful, and have Planetarium tickets - or used to.

Lunch starts later on embarkation day. Indeed in July it started at 1.30, so you shouldn’t miss it. This also gives you a chance to try and get your table changed if you don’t like the position.

im sure you’ll have a lovely time -weather permitting.

Thanks. I doubt we’ll get a great table as first ever Cunard voyage so have no status. Will go for lunch anyway! 

Edited by buchanan101

10 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Thanks. I doubt we’ll get a great table as first ever Cunard voyage so have no status. Will go for lunch anyway! 

No, you won’t, but you may still be able to move, if you don’t like it. Just not to the best window table.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

To a certain extent, as far as newbie to old timer, you're right but grade of cabin also features in the strange world of table hierarchy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

To a certain extent, as far as newbie to old timer, you're right but grade of cabin also features in the strange world of table hierarchy.

Doesn't help either as in the hierarchy of Queens Grill we are in with the masses - i.e. one of the "standard" Q5s unless they somehow rank "midships" above "fore" or "aft"! Doubt we'll be getting a window table!

Very much first world problem though - just be glad if we actually get on board (with neither of us catching Covid first for example!).

I did make one newbie mistake - chose a cabin port side (as if that's going to be any warmer in October mid Atlantic) but chose one with a connecting door. Did manage to chose away from the lifts...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Doesn't help either as in the hierarchy of Queens Grill we are in with the masses - i.e. one of the "standard" Q5s unless they somehow rank "midships" above "fore" or "aft"! Doubt we'll be getting a window table!

Very much first world problem though - just be glad if we actually get on board (with neither of us catching Covid first for example!).

I did make one newbie mistake - chose a cabin port side (as if that's going to be any warmer in October mid Atlantic) but chose one with a connecting door. Did manage to chose away from the lifts...

I think you will be very unlucky if a connecting cabin causes noise problems. I have booked them unawares a number of times over the years and never heard a thing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Lift proximity is an interesting subject.

Our preferred cabins open out onto the lift lobby on 'the Vistas' and we are never bothered by passing 'trade' or lift noises.

Whilst  we will never holiday on QM2 so I have no idea of her QG set up,  I sincerely hope you have a marvellous time and you come back and give us your verdict.

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Lift proximity is an interesting subject.

Our preferred cabins open out onto the lift lobby on 'the Vistas' and we are never bothered by passing 'trade' or lift noises.

Whilst  we will never holiday on QM2 so I have no idea of her QG set up,  I sincerely hope you have a marvellous time and you come back and give us your verdict.

Thank you. I will report back, or even mid journey if the wifi works...

Most (82?) Queens Grill rooms are essentially the size of two standard cabins. A small number seem to be 50% bigger again, and then a very small number of the silly sized suites, penthouses etc.

We are actually Q5 which is slightly higher grade (as midships) than Q6 (fore and afts).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Thank you. I will report back, or even mid journey if the wifi works...

Most (82?) Queens Grill rooms are essentially the size of two standard cabins. A small number seem to be 50% bigger again, and then a very small number of the silly sized suites, penthouses etc.

We are actually Q5 which is slightly higher grade (as midships) than Q6 (fore and afts).

In the summer, in our Q5, which was the first one aft of the lifeboats on the port side, the only place the Wi-Fi worked was, bizarrely, on the balcony. Could be fun doing that in mid-Atlantic . When we were quarantined in a sheltered balcony on Deck 5, it worked much better inside.

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

In the summer, in our Q5, which was the first one aft of the lifeboats on the port side, the only place the Wi-Fi worked was, bizarrely, on the balcony. Could be fun doing that in mid-Atlantic . When we were quarantined in a sheltered balcony on Deck 5, it worked much better inside.

I guess the room being metal boxes are a bit of a design flaw when it comes to wifi. Have seen videos of people sitting in the corridors, or jamming the door open with a shoe.

3 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I guess the room being metal boxes are a bit of a design flaw when it comes to wifi. Have seen videos of people sitting in the corridors, or jamming the door open with a shoe.

Or even sitting on the lift lobby stairs and making new friends whilst doing so.

What's that phrase?

Necessity is the mother of invention!

• Like 1