Tampa Bay is dry land

Homosassa

Because Carnival sails from Tampa Bay, I am posting it here.

Due to the winds of the hurricane's counter clockwise rotation,  the winds were hitting the bay waters in Tampa and other beach areas on Florida's west coast from the east and pushing the water out of the bay and away from the shore. The storm was coming ashore south of Tampa.

Here is a video shot from Bayshore Drive in Tampa showing the dry land where there is normally water. While this is not the cruise ship dock area, it certainly is a good example of how a hurricane can affect port areas.

The last time Tampa Bay was dry was in 2017 as Hurricane Irma came up the west coast from the south.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/09/28/tampa-bay-water-recedes-as-ian-draws-closer-to-florida

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Demand compensation.

I am platnim on Carnival, and I am entitled to Free Drinks for the entirty of my time in the Bay. $100 OBC, A personal Apology from Ms Duffy for the lack of water on Tampa Bay, and a free cruise becuse I am am an extra special entitled Person 🙂  

Back to the real world, I hope everyone in the path of that storm is OK.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, jedi bobs said:

I am platnim on Carnival, and I am entitled to Free Drinks for the entirty of my time in the Bay. $100 OBC, A personal Apology from Ms Duffy for the lack of water on Tampa Bay, and a free cruise becuse I am am an extra special entitled Person 🙂  

Back to the real world, I hope everyone in the path of that storm is OK.

Well not everyone is ok, sadly to say☹️. I have always found it strange when people ridicule the loyalty program created by a cruise company. Your post sounds like that extra special entitled person created the program themselves.

Another side to the blowing of the water out of Tampa Bay that I never thought about until I saw a video this morning.

Tampa Bay is shaped like a long pouch with the opening spanned by the Sunshine Bridge.

That means that there is land surrounding the Bay (Tampa at the bottom, St Petersburg by the mouth).  There was warning for storm surge around the perimeter of the Bay. 

Because the strong wind from the east blowing the water out of the Bay, the higher waves also formed by the wind did not have enough volume to come close to shore and thus expected  damage to the St Petersburg shoreline did not occur.

The ship channel into Tampa port is narrow and twisting.  I wonder how much the depth was lowered by the decrease in water volume in the Bay?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Another side to the blowing of the water out of Tampa Bay that I never thought about until I saw a video this morning.

Tampa Bay is shaped like a long pouch with the opening spanned by the Sunshine Bridge.

That means that there is land surrounding the Bay (Tampa at the bottom, St Petersburg by the mouth).  There was warning for storm surge around the perimeter of the Bay. 

Because the strong wind from the east blowing the water out of the Bay, the higher waves also formed by the wind did not have enough volume to come close to shore and thus expected  damage to the St Petersburg shoreline did not occur.

The ship channel into Tampa port is narrow and twisting.  I wonder how much the depth was lowered by the decrease in water volume in the Bay?

The water is already coming back into the bay.  From what I understand it starts to come back to proper level within about 24 hours.  The Hillsborough Bay webcam shows the land that was present yesterday under the bridge is no longer there.  Can't tell if it's close to "normal" at this point, but its progressing towards that.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:51 PM, BlerkOne said:

Surprised no one has accused Carnival of more cutbacks. 🤣

I purchased a balcony SPECIFICALLY to watch as we sail away from the bay. It is something my father and I did, he is 104 now, and this may be his last cruise. Carnival ADVERTISED that this would be a starboard room, which means views of the bay. I will rethink how I spend my hard earned $603 in the future!!!!!!