Lobster Night

AviationInScale

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t care even a little whether Lobster is/isn’t served?  Don’t get me wrong.  I like Lobster.  But, whether or not it’s available to order is something I’m ambivalent about.

Given a choice between Lobster and scallops, I’ll take the scallops.  Given a choice between Lobster and swordfish, I’ll take sword fish.  Heck, given a choice between Lobster and pizza….pizza wins, hands down.

Definitely agree on scallops…sword fish too..I get enough pizza at home. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t care even a little whether Lobster is/isn’t served?  Don’t get me wrong.  I like Lobster.  But, whether or not it’s available to order is something I’m ambivalent about.

Agreed.  I'm from New England who in my younger days used to get lobster straight off my friend's boat when he came in, and later in life used to have it at least weekly through most of the summer, I always found lobster on cruise ships to be disappointing at best.   Often times it was that imposter lobster (rock?) but even when they offered cold water lobster they usually over cooked it or otherwise it was just underwhelming.  I always assumed the excitement about lobster night was more for those who didn't have the same ready access that I did.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I always assumed the excitement about lobster night was more for those who didn't have the same ready access that I did.

This 👍.  Cold water 🦞 that you're accustomed to and can readily get is not a special treat.  The inferior tails that the cruise lines serve are a treat for those that reside in the majority of the US where the good stuff is not readily available.

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

The Carnival board is calling…

I'm smart enough to spread my vacation dollars over multiple cruise lines.  No cruise line is perfect, including your obvious line of choice.  Currently have a week booked on the Encore and 25 days on the Prima booked within the next six months.  That's why I'm on this board and have to deal with some posters that have blinders on.  It's a very small price to pay in order to be educated about the Prima and also pay it forward at times.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I'm smart enough to spread my vacation dollars over multiple cruise lines.  No cruise line is perfect, including your obvious line of choice.  Currently have a week booked on the Encore and 25 days on the Prima booked within the next six months.  That's why I'm on this board and have to deal with some posters that have blinders on.  It's a very small price to pay in order to be educated about the Prima and also pay it forward at times.

I also sail on various lines, with Celebrity being my favorite for the Wife and I.  When our younger grown children travel with us, we like NCL or Royal. 

Please accept my apology for my smart a$$ery Carnival comment…it’s just not in my wheelhouse.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Given a choice between Lobster and scallops, I’ll take the scallops.  Given a choice between Lobster and swordfish, I’ll take sword fish.  Heck, given a choice between Lobster and pizza….pizza wins, hands down.

It's not worth money. I only eat lobster when it's included. On the Sept. nine night cruise I had three or four tails total. Some people were ordering that many in one sitting! Definitely not me. 

When not in the Haven, I'm a non-lobster kind of guy, but it's included there, so why not have a tail or two? 

I'd take a good burger over lobster any day! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I also sail on various lines, with Celebrity being my favorite for the Wife and I.  When our younger grown children travel with us, we like NCL or Royal. 

Please accept my apology for my smart a$$ery Carnival comment…it’s just not in my wheelhouse.  

Apology accepted.  But seriously, the Mardi Gras and upcoming Celebration and Jubilee have raised the bar.  

Looking forward to our 18 night B2B on the Beyond in Nov of 2023.

43 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's not worth money. I only eat lobster when it's included. On the Sept. nine night cruise I had three or four tails total. Some people were ordering that many in one sitting! Definitely not me. 

When not in the Haven, I'm a non-lobster kind of guy, but it's included there, so why not have a tail or two? 

I'd take a good burger over lobster any day! 

Same.  Had Lobster in the Haven as part of the "surf and turf".  Nothing wrong with it.  It was actually a pretty good size, too.  Just don't understand the fascination with whether it's part of a menu, or not.  Wouldn't miss it if it wasn't offered.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I use lobster as a benchmark to check to see what cruise lines are better than the others as far as food is concerned.

There should be one lobster night in the main dining room on all good cruise ships.

As far as I understand, many cruise lines do not do this. 

They are:

NCL, RCCL, Carnival, Costa.

It should not matter how many days you cruise to get lobster in the main dining room.

If they do not have a lobster night, I book elsewhere.

Edited by JJNorsk

15 minutes ago, JJNorsk said:

If they have formal night, I book elsewhere.

If they make me sit at the same table every night at the same time, I book elsewhere.

If they don't honor my Platinum status, I book elsewhere.

If they don't have refundable deposits up until final payment, I book elsewhere.

If their deposit is more than $250 (especially if non-refundable), I book elsewhere.

If they don't offer a 10% Veterans discount, I book elsewhere.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If they have formal night, I book elsewhere.

If they make me sit at the same table every night at the same time, I book elsewhere.

If they don't honor my Platinum status, I book elsewhere.

If they don't have refundable deposits up until final payment, I book elsewhere.

If their deposit is more than $250 (especially if non-refundable), I book elsewhere.

If they don't offer a 10% Veterans discount, I book elsewhere.

No lobster just says "cheap cruise" to me. Just sharing. You don't have to be snarky. Typical Packer fan.

Edited by JJNorsk

4 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

That just seems ridiculous to me. But hey, you do you.

This is my benchmark for a cheap cruise. They will nickle and dime us to death elsewhere as a result. Probably not your benchmark, but it is mine.

5 minutes ago, JJNorsk said:

No lobster just says "cheap cruise" to me. Just sharing. You don't have to be snarky. You do you.

I don't think that person was being snarky. Everyone has their own criteria for booking a cruise. I personally have been off put by the lack of free room service breakfast and nightly turn-down service on NCL and the other "big three" post-COVID. I think we all have a concept of what a cruise should include and for me, those are two of the things. Others might think it's ridiculous, which is fine. I don't have lobster on my list of requirements, but it's definitely a nice to have.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't think that person was being snarky. Everyone has their own criteria for booking a cruise.

For sure. Entertainment isn't my thing, so changes there don't matter to me. Same with lobster, same with room service.

Now, take away my FAS drinks and dining, and I might as well just book Carnival.

2 hours ago, JJNorsk said:

I use lobster as a benchmark to check to see what cruise lines are better than the others as far as food is concerned.

There should be one lobster night in the main dining room on all good cruise ships.

As far as I understand, many cruise lines do not do this. 

They are:

NCL, RCCL, Carnival, Costa.

It should not matter how many days you cruise to get lobster in the main dining room.

Please don’t post to old, dead threads. 

19 hours ago, JJNorsk said:

No lobster just says "cheap cruise" to me. Just sharing. You don't have to be snarky. Typical Packer fan.

Wow...talk about snarky. 

Several people liked my comment. Just for the record. 

Speaking of records...Skol Viqueens.

Edited by schmoopie17

23 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Wow...talk about snarky. 

Several people liked my comment. Just for the record. 

Speaking of records...Skol Viqueens.

Well, I liked your post.

I like  the taste of some sweet lobster now and then, But anyone who would use that as a major criteria for choosing a cruise is likely to sell themselves short. There are a lot more key issues upon wish to judge the product; overall food quality and variety, ship's facilities and features, entertainment and, of course, specific itinerary are all more important than one plate.

And let's be fair - NCL is a middle market product and priced accordingly. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Please don’t post to old, dead threads. 

If a thread really is dead, the mods should close it.  Otherwise, in my opinion, there is not reason to not reply to it.

Some boards actually take the opposite approach and if someone created a new thread about Lobster they would merge the new thread into the old existing thread.  The FlyerTalk United Mileage Plus forum comes to mind.  

@JJNorsk this member of the CC community has no problem with you replying to an existing thread.