Warning for interstate seniors using NSW OPAL Seniors Card

Warning for interstate seniors using a NSW OPAL Seniors Card

I have sent hours and hours of my holiday time trying to find out why my NSW OPAL Seniors Card was cancelled. 

After spreading all the evidence out on the table, I have discovered that my Qld Seniors card expired on 30/9, after I left Qld. on 20/9.  Easy to now solve you would think? No, my daughter has checked my mail box and no new Seniors Card to send by overnight mail to Sydney.  Now we all know how slow the mail is these days.  Not OPAL NSW, who has cancelled my card.

Big mistake, I put $30 on card enough to get me through the airport home.

OPAL NSW knows I put $30 on card, so why not some leeway for Seniors.  (When I couldn't solve the problem at Circular Quay, I walked in the torrential rain from Circular Quay to Sydney Theatre Company and arrived soaking wet for live theatre.) Needless to say, I wasn't a happy vegemite!  But the show was fabulous

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Warning for interstate seniors using a NSW OPAL Seniors Card

I have sent hours and hours of my holiday time trying to find out why my NSW OPAL Seniors Card was cancelled. 

After spreading all the evidence out on the table, I have discovered that my Qld Seniors card expired on 30/9, after I left Qld. on 20/9.  Easy to now solve you would think? No, my daughter has checked my mail box and no new Seniors Card to send by overnight mail to Sydney.  Now we all know how slow the mail is these days.  Not OPAL NSW, who has cancelled my card.

Big mistake, I put $30 on card enough to get me through the airport home.

OPAL NSW knows I put $30 on card, so why not some leeway for Seniors.  (When I couldn't solve the problem at Circular Quay, I walked in the torrential rain from Circular Quay to Sydney Theatre Company and arrived soaking wet for live theatre.) Needless to say, I wasn't a happy vegemite!  But the show was fabulous

Try using your credit card.

Last week , mid week,I went from 
Richmond to Central on the train  for $1
Chinatown to Wynyard on the light rail for $0

Wynyard to Richmond on the train for $1

I don’t have a concession card but I don’t know why it’s so cheap with a MasterCard.

• Like 1

Just now, Chiliburn said:

Try using your credit card.

Last week , mid week,I went from 
Richmond to Central on the train  for $1
Chinatown to Wynyard on the light rail for $0

Wynyard to Richmond on the train for $1

I don’t have a concession card but I don’t know why it’s so cheap with a MasterCard.

Thanks  My daughter used her credit card when she was in Sydney for the weekend.  I'll have to check what she paid.  Strange.  Sounds like you got a deal, while they hold on to my $30 (no cash refund, no transfer, just refund by a form to your bank account),  Was that all on one day?  Was there a facility to tick seniors card.  I've survived by putting $2.50 on, guards let me through when gates don't open.  I've learnt to look for open gates. 

1 minute ago, Sparky74 said:

So do you become younger if your seniors' card expires?

No you age from the stress.  I've mentally written letters to Minister for Transport and NSW Premier about the lack of customer service from their Customer Service Officers, who are in the wrong job!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks  My daughter used her credit card when she was in Sydney for the weekend.  I'll have to check what she paid.  Strange.  Sounds like you got a deal, while they hold on to my $30 (no cash refund, no transfer, just refund by a form to your bank account),  Was that all on one day?  Was there a facility to tick seniors card.  I've survived by putting $2.50 on, guards let me through when gates don't open.  I've learnt to look for open gates. 

It was on the same day ,from 9:00 to 1:00

When you tap on or off it just says “Tap successful “

It might be just a bit of a glitch but I don’t bother with the Opel card .
You still get the daily cap with a credit card .

23 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It was on the same day ,from 9:00 to 1:00

When you tap on or off it just says “Tap successful “

It might be just a bit of a glitch but I don’t bother with the Opel card .
You still get the daily cap with a credit card .

If you don't get your special rate, I suspect Seniors wouldn't be able to get the Seniors $2.50 daily rate just the adult rate.  

51 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

If you don't get your special rate, I suspect Seniors wouldn't be able to get the Seniors $2.50 daily rate just the adult rate.  

That is correct  without that concession it would be easier4 to use a debit card  but $2.50 for all day is a good deal (plus of course the Airport private sur charge)

14 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

That is correct  without that concession it would be easier4 to use a debit card  but $2.50 for all day is a good deal (plus of course the Airport private sur charge)

Yes, $15  of the $30 was the charge for travel and entry into the airport, which is a rip off since the airport was paid off.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

17 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Even at the full Rate and with the cap It’s a bargain compared to tolls ,parking, fuel and the stress.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, $15  of the $30 was the charge for travel and entry into the airport, which is a rip off since the airport was paid off.  

The bit of the Airport Line from Wolli Creek to the terminals is still privately owned, thus the charges,  it is ye olde 'Captive Audience syndrome.'

Edited by NSWP

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The bit of the Airport Line from Wolli Creek to the terminals is still privately owned, thus the charges,  it is ye olde 'Captive Audience syndrome.'

Privately funded and built, much like the tollways around Sydney.

• Like 1

Just now, Chiliburn said:

Let’s see what happens when the new airport opens ,prices may come down.

Prices are strategically set to be slightly cheaper pp than other transport, such as shuttles and cabs. Any links to the new airport will be equally expensive. 

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Prices are strategically set to be slightly cheaper pp than other transport, such as shuttles and cabs. Any links to the new airport will be equally expensive. 

I don’t know about the price gouging with the new airport while the government is involved.

When they build it up and then sell it ,that’s when the shareholders want a return and prices go through the roof.

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I thought I read proud publicity at the time that the airport rail line had been paid off. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You are dreamin mate

Probably.

But competition will be pretty hot because a lot of freight companies are building around the new airport. 
Also I think Qantas and other airlines are investing heavily in it also .

Next time you’re up here ,drive out and have a look.
I think it’s supposed to open in 2025 and you wouldn’t recognise the place.

Edited by Chiliburn