Mariner moseying down to Mexico

flossie009

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Please, I was not suggesting for a moment that you had done anything wrong!  But on the several occasions this has happened to us, on various ships, it has been caused by blockages, according to the staff.

Yes, I completely understand.  I have no doubt that there may have been (and actually is) some continuing blockages in the Mariner waste system.  My only point is that those blockages (which seem to be occurring on Mariner rather frequently - and none of the other ships reported) may actually be caused by something in the system itself that's not working correctly (and needs replacement/repair), rather than because some "foreign/wrong material" is being inappropriately flushed by passengers.  This repair/maintenance issue might actually be causing these system breakdowns and overflows.  Something like a leaking pipe, a leaking valve/seal/gasket, insufficient vacuum pressure, insufficient water flow, a pump not working correctly or at full pressure, etc.  Just like the "brown water" in Navigator a few years ago.  It was old/corroded pipes/tanks that were the problem and not "dirty water" that was in the system.  Regards.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ruthe17 said:

Had to show proof of vaccination if vaccinated.  If you didn’t have proof, they tested you at the port.

We just boarded Mariner this afternoon. We filled out form saying we have been vaccinated and indicating brand of vaccine and dates of both original shots plus booster. However no one looked at our documentation. We were given a red wrist band to wear during embarkation registration process...that's it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edgee said:

We just boarded Mariner this afternoon. We filled out form saying we have been vaccinated and indicating brand of vaccine and dates of both original shots plus booster. However no one looked at our documentation. We were given a red wrist band to wear during embarkation registration process...that's it.

I hope you enjoy every minute of your cruise.  

Willi was not happy with some of the inconveniences.  One was when they closed off the Observation Lounge twice for a ‘private function’.  The first was advised prior so fair enough, but the second was not noted in the program and while the president of Cruise Connections addressed a group of 20 odd people occupying the entire lounge, the rest of us were turned away.  This is the second Regent cruise where popular pre dinner lounges were closed for special interest groups.   That, along with the plumbing issues, the inconsistent service in Compass Rose, and non existent internet service has him swearing off Regent.  

I am slightly more forgiving, but must say I am also getting a bit weary.  What I find ridiculous is how you are supposed to complete an online survey rating your cruise experience, but you don’t have any internet service to connect and do the survey.  I can’t help but wonder if they know that they are messing up, and really don’t want to hear about it in your review.  

However I think overall we enjoyed our cruise, and left feeling that we had been pampered, and were happy.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

I hope you enjoy every minute of your cruise.  

Willi was not happy with some of the inconveniences.  One was when they closed off the Observation Lounge twice for a ‘private function’.  The first was advised prior so fair enough, but the second was not noted in the program and while the president of Cruise Connections addressed a group of 20 odd people occupying the entire lounge, the rest of us were turned away.  This is the second Regent cruise where popular pre dinner lounges were closed for special interest groups.   That, along with the plumbing issues, the inconsistent service in Compass Rose, and non existent internet service has him swearing off Regent.  

I am slightly more forgiving, but must say I am also getting a bit weary.  What I find ridiculous is how you are supposed to complete an online survey rating your cruise experience, but you don’t have any internet service to connect and do the survey.  I can’t help but wonder if they know that they are messing up, and really don’t want to hear about it in your review.  

However I think overall we enjoyed our cruise, and left feeling that we had been pampered, and were happy.

I don’t blame you for being irritated.  They could find a smaller venue for their special meeting.  M

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Especially on Mariner which has Stars Lounge.

Exactly our thoughts.  Willi spoke at length to the two officers 'guarding' the entrance to the Cruise Connection private function and it was quite obvious that they didn't give a rat's a$$ that we were not happy.  This is why I have long given up (after 70 + cruises) doing post cruise surveys.  They only want to hear the good stuff.  And quite honestly if I could have given my opinions in a survey, I wouldn't be venting here.  But still 'first world' problems, and I am willing to give Regent another chance.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

This is why I have long given up (after 70 + cruises) doing post cruise surveys.  They only want to hear the good stuff.  And quite honestly if I could have given my opinions in a survey, I wouldn't be venting here.

I don't bother with the surveys.  I have never received a response back for my efforts.

Just returned home.  Overall--another positive experience.  Did not experience any pluming issues (was slightly forward of midships, Deck 8).  The Notice which appeared on our front door is similar to ones received on several other occasions over the years--and not just on Mariner. 

We have received responses to both the mid-cruise comment card; and more extensive near end of cruise Survey.  And, specific reference made to both laudatory aspects; and the occasional "issue".  This time around, I commented about the sloppy and uncoordinated boarding process on Day 1.  Turned in the card.  Next morning--telephone call from General Manager explaining the problem--which was a system-wide Port problem on October 3rd affecting several other larger cruise ships as well. 

As usual, Internet connectivity problems; and loss of access to Cable Networks for extended periods of time.  

Agree with disappointment about unannounced closing of the very-popular Observation Lounge to cater to the wishes of a very-few select folks.  OTOH:  Liked the way Regent handled evening get-togethers at Horizon Lounge for Spotlight on Hollywood Presenters to entertain additional questions from guests.  The Lounge remained open to others for drinks and conversation unrelated to Spotlight.  

Spotlight presentations were excellent, particularly an early one on how the original "Pilot" "Frazier" episode was conceived; and put together. 

Now, must wait a few months before Navigator--at New York.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

Ladies, a question. I will be boarding mariner on 3 November and traveling south to warm environs. I’m wondering about temperatures inside the ship’s common areas, lounges, restaurants, bars, etc.

Will I be wearing long pants, leggings, long-sleeved tops and perhaps keep a sweater handy while inside the ship before getting dressed for dinner? Or will I be wearing shorts and nice shortsleeved or sleeveless tops while inside?

How did you dress while inside? I’m happy to hear about all of your outfits, and I am especially interested in the details about appropriate coverings for the temperature inside.

Thx!

54 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

How did you dress while inside?

Good question.  I'll be boarding Splendor in Miami in January, and I will be wearing warm-weather gear during the day (or "Florida in winter" apparel, as it were).  I don't wear shorts too often, but I will have a pair for excursions.  Onboard I'll be wearing capris, in the main, or cropped (lightweight) pants, since that's what I'm most comfortable doing, with various types of short-sleeved shirts.  I'm not a leggings person, but I can't imagine it being cool enough for something that warm.  For chilly breezes on deck or in a lounge or theatre, I'll probably have a lightweight fleece or a shawl, depending on the circumstance.  The latter in the evenings for sure, sometimes with a long skirt for a change with a somewhat nicer top than during the day.

• Like 1

1.Concering the just completed cruise,  agree the large (66+) group from Cruise Connections impacted dining and Mariner Bar service (for example the Bar ran out of martini glasses by 6:15 on several nights and used margarita glasses to serve martinis!). Besides the closure nights for private events, large informal groups congregated in the Mariner Lounge in mass before all entering Compass Rose together- often taking large tables of 6 or 8 which sometimes affected the service for other guests.

2. We only do the end or cruise survey to recognize specific staff members by name who benefit by getting more time off at ports and additional consideration for promotion. 

On 10/9/2022 at 3:55 AM, FengShui@Sea said:

We have a couple that camp out in the Observation Lounge every day who insist that the soft music be turned down to a level where it can no longer be heard.  I find it odd that the staff comply despite the impact on the rest of us who are there enjoying the music.  The staff should suggest the couple go to the library where it is so quiet you could hear a pin drop.  I am seldom the squeaky wheel but when this first happened I asked that the music volume be restored.  However, ‘madam’ promptly went over and insisted it be turned down, which it was, and we left.

This was the best show we saw on the cruise.  We were simply observers, not participants.  A man who was by himself reading a book went to Ronnalyn, who wasn't officially on duty yet but was prepping for an inspection, and asked the music be turned down.  She complied but the man left.  FengShui then asked it be turned back up.  She complied but FengShui left.  Then someone else asked Ronnalyn to turn it down.  She complied and we laughed.  That evening I requested she adjust the music so that it was loud in my left ear but soft in my right ear.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Good question.  I'll be boarding Splendor in Miami in January, and I will be wearing warm-weather gear during the day (or "Florida in winter" apparel, as it were).  I don't wear shorts too often, but I will have a pair for excursions.  Onboard I'll be wearing capris, in the main, or cropped (lightweight) pants, since that's what I'm most comfortable doing, with various types of short-sleeved shirts.  I'm not a leggings person, but I can't imagine it being cool enough for something that warm.  For chilly breezes on deck or in a lounge or theatre, I'll probably have a lightweight fleece or a shawl, depending on the circumstance.  The latter in the evenings for sure, sometimes with a long skirt for a change with a somewhat nicer top than during the day.

I promise not to wear leggings to dinner! 🤗

• Haha 1

Yes, the closing of the Observation Lounge for travel agent groups was beyond annoying.  Particularly so given that Passages had in the program "watch the sail away from San Francisco from the Observation Lounge".  People had to watch from a very cold open deck instead.  The bar hours in Passages said the Observation Lounge hours that day were 3:00 to Midnight but the travel agents took over from 3:00 to 6:00.  Three hours in the best place to watch the sail away.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike808 said:

Yes, the closing of the Observation Lounge for travel agent groups was beyond annoying.  Particularly so given that Passages had in the program "watch the sail away from San Francisco from the Observation Lounge".  People had to watch from a very cold open deck instead.  The bar hours in Passages said the Observation Lounge hours that day were 3:00 to Midnight but the travel agents took over from 3:00 to 6:00.  Three hours in the best place to watch the sail away.  

Unacceptable. I hope regent reads this. 

• Like 1

I also wanted to recognize some staff members in the survey, but unfortunately the only internet service I was able to get in the last three days was when having lunch at Bubba Gumps on Fisherman’s Wharf.  There were definitely some outstanding staff members, such as our cabin attendant Gregory, Monica at the Specialty Dining Reservation desk, and ‘Bar’ the bartender from India in Horizons Lounge was very talented and personable.  We only encountered one dud.  Anne the hostess at Compass Rose would tell you there were no tables available on starboard side when clearly there were, but would begrudgingly sit you there if you insisted.  We joked that she was so unfriendly and un-accommodating she would be better suited for working in the morgue.  

Regarding clothing I found several interior venues quite cold.  I wore either leggings or plaza pants with a top, a light sweater, and sandals.  But the lifesaver was having a scarf handy for those occasions when the air conditioners were set to cool; which happened in almost every venue once or twice throughout the cruise.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Regarding clothing I found several interior venues quite cold.  I wore either leggings or plaza pants with a top, a light sweater, and sandals.  But the lifesaver was having a scarf handy for those occasions when the air conditioners were set to cool; which happened in almost every venue once or twice throughout the cruise.

Many thanks!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Ladies, a question. I will be boarding mariner on 3 November and traveling south to warm environs. I’m wondering about temperatures inside the ship’s common areas, lounges, restaurants, bars, etc.

Will I be wearing long pants, leggings, long-sleeved tops and perhaps keep a sweater handy while inside the ship before getting dressed for dinner? Or will I be wearing shorts and nice shortsleeved or sleeveless tops while inside?

How did you dress while inside? I’m happy to hear about all of your outfits, and I am especially interested in the details about appropriate coverings for the temperature inside.

Thx!

I am a guy, so will not offer fashion advice, but this is my second morning on Mariner and LaVeranda has been quite chilly (as in over airconditioned). I came upststairs for breakfast and went back to my cabin for a warmer shirt. Otherwise, enjoying my cruise very much.

• Like 1

It seems that if one is looking for reasons to be disappointed, they will find it. After almost three years have past now on Regent again. Sure, a few glitches will come up. Nothing to make an issue with us. If dissatisfied with Regent, may I suggest another cruise line may be a solution.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mjflowers said:

It seems that if one is looking for reasons to be disappointed, they will find it. After almost three years have past now on Regent again. Sure, a few glitches will come up. Nothing to make an issue with us. If dissatisfied with Regent, may I suggest another cruise line may be a solution.

I personally think it is important to have a 'warts and all' view of a cruise line. Sometimes they are fabulous, sometimes not so good but as a first timer, if you board any cruise ship expecting it to be totally fabulous (especially when you have paid a lot of money) you run the risk of being very disappointed if every review you have read has extolled its virtues but never mentioned that anything could possibly, ever go wrong. Even Regent isn't always perfect 😜

• Like 10

On 10/16/2022 at 12:59 AM, FengShui@Sea said:

Exactly our thoughts.  Willi spoke at length to the two officers 'guarding' the entrance to the Cruise Connection private function and it was quite obvious that they didn't give a rat's a$$ that we were not happy.  This is why I have long given up (after 70 + cruises) doing post cruise surveys.  They only want to hear the good stuff.  And quite honestly if I could have given my opinions in a survey, I wouldn't be venting here.  But still 'first world' problems, and I am willing to give Regent another chance.  

We were not on this cruise, but did receive the heavily discounted offer from the agency mentioned here. This was their “President's Cruise”, where the agency buys a block of cabins from Regent at a significant discount. Regent is an active partner in this type of scheme, so although it is annoying to be impacted when you are not part of the group receiving special attention, it would be fruitless to complain to Regent as they are direct supporters of it. 

BTW, I received another offer today from a Texas agency for a Feb 1 Splendor hosted sailing offered at a discount. I would expect they will do the same by taking over public space for their own special events…so avoid this cruise if this bothers you (or join in if you wish).  

Just now, Sunprince said:

We were not on this cruise, but did receive the heavily discounted offer from the agency mentioned here. This was their “President's Cruise”, where the agency buys a block of cabins from Regent at a significant discount. Regent is an active partner in this type of scheme, so although it is annoying to be impacted when you are not part of the group receiving special attention, it would be fruitless to complain to Regent as they are direct supporters of it. 

In the interest of full disclosure I have been a past client of this travel agency, and find the President a charming and funny guy.  But with fewer than 70 clients on board, less than half of whom seemed to attend these 'special events', it doesn't exactly give me warm and fuzzy feelings knowing that they most likely paid far less than we did for our suite, but are given preferential treatment.  As of now Regent is off of our list of lines we are willing to cruise.  I can only speak with my wallet, and am not attracted by loyalty pins and trinkets to earn my business.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

In the interest of full disclosure I have been a past client of this travel agency, and find the President a charming and funny guy.  But with fewer than 70 clients on board, less than half of whom seemed to attend these 'special events', it doesn't exactly give me warm and fuzzy feelings knowing that they most likely paid far less than we did for our suite, but are given preferential treatment.  As of now Regent is off of our list of lines we are willing to cruise.  I can only speak with my wallet, and am not attracted by loyalty pins and trinkets to earn my business.  

If this becomes the norm we will also be out.  We have 3 cruises booked and near platinum but being “locked out “ of observation lounge for a group  would be upsetting….especially for hours …and then they got special pricing….slippery slope…

• Like 4

You could always, you know, pay attention to Cruise Connection deals and get that special pricing for yourself.  And then you wouldn't need to cry about not being invited to the super special meetings and save a bit of money.

10 minutes ago, desibee said:

You could always, you know, pay attention to Cruise Connection deals and get that special pricing for yourself.  And then you wouldn't need to cry about not being invited to the super special meetings and save a bit of money.

This comment is not worthy of reply. 

• Like 3