Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is no dress code only dress request. Things have changed in 60 years. but the dress you observed on Royal has been like that about for ten years maybe more. Dress has changed on Celebrity too as formal night has morphed into a more casual Evening Chic night. 

The Celebrity FAQ’s section which addresses this issues is titled:

Onboard Dress Code

Just thought you’d like to know what is actually is, which is a Dress Code, but so what:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/onboard-dress-code

Den

den

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Just thought you’d like to know what is actually is, which is a Dress Code, but so what:

Yes, it tells you what you would be comfortable wearing and Royal has formal nights. But as we know they are requests. Times change and what the cruising public wants  to wear and does wear has changed. Culture does not stand still. Perhaps someday in the furure people will want to dress up again. A busness has to adapt to keep busness and the cruise lines have done so. 

26 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Onboard Dress Code

Den

den

I find most people follow Celebrity dress code

Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

40 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Dress code again?

The same comments from the same people (ok, ok, me tooo ) every time!!

Can't everyone just follow the guidelines and make it easy for the Staff----and leave your " Me-Me-- I got MY rights " BS at home. Yea, I know-- You are Mr/Mrs/Ms " Big " where you come from, but, on a cruise nobody cares. 

Yup-- I got a problem--- it does bother me when I see the crap some people wear into the dining room.

Usually, a loudmouth slob comes with the outfit.

Glad to see you once again joined in on the "dress code again", thread. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Onboard Dress Code

Den

den

It also says it will be enforced in all restaurants.  And we all know that's not true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I find most people follow Celebrity dress code

Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

• A cocktail dress
  • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • Optional sport coat or blazer

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Further down it also says"shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants".

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

Further down it also says"shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants".

Like I wrote I find most people follow these recommendations but we usually only cruise on TAs and these cruise have a different clientele than Caribbean cruises

i have heard that clientele aunt Caribbean cruises can be really out there 😱😁

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Like I wrote I find most people follow these recommendations but we usually only cruise on TAs and these cruise have a different clientele than Caribbean cruises

i have heard that clientele aunt Caribbean cruises can be really out there 😱😁

On our last TA (Silhouette) there were passengers wearing shorts in the dining room. 

5 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Correct-- But there are those who feel " Entitled " and just ignore the Host/Hostess and strut on by.

It's really too bad that the Staff are too intimidated and do nothing--- including Officers (who always seem to be on their phone). 

What they should do in that case is not serve them---that might-- er, will work .

(This comment should be good for a few laughs from-- oops, mentioning names is against the Guidelines)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Correct-- But there are those who feel " Entitled " and just ignore the Host/Hostess and strut on by.

It's really too bad that the Staff are too intimidated and do nothing--- including Officers (who always seem to be on their phone). 

What they should do in that case is not serve them---that might-- er, will work .

(This comment should be good for a few laughs from-- oops, mentioning names is against the Guidelines)

Not against the CC guidelines to mention another posters name. 😏 Aren't your ears burning? 😉

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

Loads of “rules” get broken on cruises we’ve been on. None of which changed our experience at all. Enjoyed every single one of the four. When we start worrying about what other people are wearing we will retire from cruising. 

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

The last time I wore my tux on a cruise people kept giving me their drink orders.  I cleaned up on tips!!!!

Elvis

Now, there’s an incentive!

We have a Cunard cruise planned and are excited about dressing in tuxes. We haven’t had reason to do that in decades. However, on ships with more relaxed dress codes, we are very happy to go more relaxed. We’ll always follow the dress code, but we may do the bare minimum.

I’m still not convinced we’ll go for actually tux vs. dark suit on Cunard. I like to dress up but I don’t like to pack and travel with things I might use once. Cunard makes it worth while, I’m not sure other ships do. 

Edited by carolina_yankee
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Now, there’s an incentive!

We have a Cunard cruise planned and are excited about dressing in tuxes. We haven’t had reason to do that in decades. However, on ships with more relaxed dress codes, we are very happy to go more relaxed. We’ll always follow the dress code, but we may do the bare minimum.

I’m still not convinced we’ll go for actually tux vs. dark suit on Cunard. I like to dress up but I don’t like to pack and travel with things I might use once. Cunard makes it worth while, I’m not sure other ships do. 

Oh, go for the tux! Lots of folks on Cunard will be wearing them. We think it's just plain fun...besides, my DW thinks I still look good in one. And boy I get tons of looks...I wonder if it's the lime green color...

All kidding aside, it was refreshing to get gussied up...not to mention that the tux will probably outlive me...so I gotta get my moneys worth, right? 

We have been cruising for over 15 years and have been on many different lines…my hubby has always worn dress shorts in the MDR’s for dinner (except formal nights) and has never been asked to change.

I will never understand why people let what others wear bother them?  As long as I’m not watching “naked and afraid”, while I’m eating, I don’t care what others are wearing. 😜

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

How does one find out how many evening chic nights there are on the cruise, and which nights? I don’t see it in the app for our 11/12 cruise. I’m assuming they are designated on all cruises?

There are only supposed to be 2 even on longer cruises according to Celebrity but my experience has been that there were 3 on 10 to 14 day cruises.

It was the HS homecoming weekend in our city.   Our neighbors were outside taking pictures.  Both of the males are on the football team .  All of the females dates  were wearing long floor length gowns with slits up to their waist and you could see that they were wearing thongs as the band showed.  What I didn’t see was any of the girls  with purple, pink, green hair and etc.  

One male showed up and looked like a cross between Little Richard, Liberace, and Elton John.  He had a pink jacket, purple shirt, and a polka dot bow tie,  wearing oversized sunglasses.   Baby blue trousers that were 4 inches above his shoes, no socks and white patten leather shoes that had red sequins from the instep to the toes.  As a fan of our HS football team I know that he is  ranked in the top 10 players in the state for his position.  

The custom use to be that the male didn’t dress to show up the female.  Now it appears as if the male is becoming like the the animals where the male has the glitz.  

The new normal dress up. 

My wife and I then laughed about how bad it was when we were in school that the  girls wore those dresses with the petty coats.   How ridiculous was that.   I can’t image how hard it was for them to go the restroom.   My wife and I went to different schools and she said that she never wore one as they didn’t have a homecoming and the proms weren’t that formal as it was closed to outsiders and everyone went without really dressing up and most went without a date.  It was a small Catholic School.   45 in the class

Things keep changing.  Like it or not.  We adapt 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 minutes ago, miched said:

It was the HS homecoming weekend in our city.   Our neighbors were outside taking pictures.  Both of the males are on the football team .  All of the females dates  were wearing long floor length gowns with slits up to their waist and you could see that they were wearing thongs as the band showed.  What I didn’t see was any of the girls  with purple, pink, green hair and etc.  

One male showed up and looked like a cross between Little Richard, Liberace, and Elton John.  He had a pink jacket, purple shirt, and a polka dot bow tie,  wearing oversized sunglasses.   Baby blue trousers that were 4 inches above his shoes, no socks and white patten leather shoes that had red sequins from the instep to the toes.  As a fan of our HS football team I know that he is  ranked in the top 10 players in the state for his position.  

The custom use to be that the male didn’t dress to show up the female.  Now it appears as if the male is becoming like the the animals where the male has the glitz.  

The new normal dress up. 

My wife and I then laughed about how bad it was when we were in school that the  girls wore those dresses with the petty coats.   How ridiculous was that.   I can’t image how hard it was for them to go the restroom.   My wife and I went to different schools and she said that she never wore one as they didn’t have a homecoming and the proms weren’t that formal as it was closed to outsiders and everyone went without really dressing up and most went without a date.  It was a small Catholic School.   45 in the class

Things keep changing.  Like it or not.  We adapt 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You’ve lost me mate 🤪

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

On our last TA (Silhouette) there were passengers wearing shorts in the dining room. 

And were they struck by lightning?  Sent to the gallows for bad behaviour?  I thought not.  Life carried on as usual.

This is sort of moot point as even if the dress code is enforced for all "regular" passengers, they'll cave to who they deem VIPs such as high rollers, vendors, execs, guest entertainers, etc.  Been on 8 cruises since the restart, never in a suite, mostly in AQ.  I've seen shorts, flip flops, tshirts and every night in the MDR and Blu, sometimes I even see hats although it's possible they didn't put them on until after they sat down.

While there some creative solutions X could do but there's no chance it'll happen  In conjunction with enforcing the dress codes, they could offer free pressing of two items per chic night to everyone.  They could have an inventory of jackets and force men to wear one.  They could have a buffet station that only has MDR offerings so for those who want the MDR food but don't want to dress up have that option.

My best advice is dress up all you want but expect the dress code (and laxed enforcement) to continue in the path its always been going, more and more casual as the younger folks replace the older ones.

I'd be curious to know how this flies with our current audience:

What if Celebrity were to designate one venue where the dress code would actually be enforced?  Let's say that on S and E class, the designated restaurant is Murano.  This would assure one dining experience that met the expectations of those on that side of the attire aisle.

Would this be too onerous for those who prefer the 'free style' approach to the dress code?  Or is 'least common denominator' an absolute requirement?

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

I'd be curious to know how this flies with our current audience:

What if Celebrity were to designate one venue where the dress code would actually be enforced?  Let's say that on S and E class, the designated restaurant is Murano.  This would assure one dining experience that met the expectations of those on that side of the attire aisle.

Would this be too onerous for those who prefer the 'free style' approach to the dress code?  Or is 'least common denominator' an absolute requirement?

I would certainly like one venue where you could be sure that everyone would be following a dress code. And know that it would be enforced. I would prefer that it not be a specialty restaurant but I am sure I would make do.

ETA: This would be so that we could celebrate a birthday, anniversary, whatever, in that environment....or if we just felt like it...

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 1