Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

22 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I get it.  That was exactly my point as well.  Whatever happened to essentially making a contractual agreement with someone and then honoring it?!  If you don't like the rules, book another type of vacation or another cruise line.  Don't just thumb your nose at the rules because you don't like them.  Low class.  Very low class.

Exactly

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I get it.  That was exactly my point as well.  Whatever happened to essentially making a contractual agreement with someone and then honoring it?!  If you don't like the rules, book another type of vacation or another cruise line.  Don't just thumb your nose at the rules because you don't like them.  Low class.  Very low class.

It is a vacation not an authoritarian regime. Your dress rules on Celebrity are in your own mind. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Hey, how are you feeling? Our ship is now away without us. I wore my cruise T-shirt today in mourning.

(Sorry everyone, we both had to cancel an Oct 6 Equinox.) 

Thanks for asking.  Not terrible but not good.  It's just like a normal cold that seems to keep hanging on and won't leave.  Today is day 8 after I tested positive.  My DW is a few days behind me and is still very fatigued. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is a vacation not an authoritarian regime. Your dress rules on Celebrity are in your own mind. 

You're suggesting the print/binary version of the dress code is imaginary?

Yes, it is a vacation.  One can also take a cruise vacation where, absent a jacket, one will be handed to you as you enter the dining room.  If they run out, your dining options become more limited.  It is possible to operate to that business model and be successful.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

You're suggesting the print/binary version of the dress code is imaginary?

Yes, it is a vacation.  One can also take a cruise vacation where, absent a jacket, one will be handed to you as you enter the dining room.  If they run out, your dining options become more limited.  It is possible to operate to that business model and be successful.

Celebrity does not operate on that model. They don't require jackets. They say dress comfortably. I suggest that those who want that model book the cruise line that has that model. It is not Celebrity's busness model. Stop saying that Celebrity is something it isn't.

How successful is that model if you only have a fleet of four ships? Most people who cruise don't want that model. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Celebrity does not operate on that model. They don't require jackets. They say dress comfortably. I suggest that those who want that model book the cruise line that has that model. It is not Celebrity's busness model. Stop saying that Celebrity is something it isn't.

How successful is that model if you only have a fleet of four ships? Most people who cruise don't want that model. 

I'd say 10 with 3 more in the works isn't bad.  Our next cruise will likely be on Silversea after many years with X.

No, Celebrity's business model isn't quite that, but neither is it yet a complete free for all.  Let's just say it  has evolved since they decided to decline to inforce their own printed protocols - which aren't imaginary - and once were largely followed willingly.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

I'd say 10 with 3 more in the works isn't bad.  Our next cruise will likely be on Silversea after many years with X.

I don't know anything about Silversea. I have pretty much switched to Oceania. I will look into Silversea. I don't mind wearing a jacket. Got a closet full of them. Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line for the masses and it is ludicrous to complain about dress enforcement on Celebrity or expect it. That ship has sailed with mega ship builds. Silversea has tiny ships. Pin should go on Silversea instead of complaining about imaginary dress codes on Celebrity.

Edited by Charles4515

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't know anything about Silversea. I have pretty much switched to Oceania. I will look into Silversea. I don't mind wearing a jacket. Got a closet full of them. Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line for the masses and it is ludicrous to complain about dress enforcement on Celebrity or expect it. That ship has sailed with mega ship builds.

Yes, a mass market line that is rapidly losing their differentiation, though fortunately, not all of it.  When they start announcing the putting contest at the Martini Bar over the PA, we're definitely out.

If you are accustomed to SS or above on Celebrity, it would indeed be worth investigating Silversea as an alternative.  I'm sure RCG will be happy that we're not jumping ship altogether - it's all part of the 'family'.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yes, a mass market line that is rapidly losing their differentiation, though fortunately, not all of it.  When they start announcing the putting contest at the Martini Bar over the PA, we're definitely out.

Any cruise line is going to lose differentation if it builds large capacity mega ships that have to be filled. They are  selling a commodity.

29 minutes ago, gholsten said:

So you don’t believe in following rules, laws, or mores?   Exactly where do you draw the line? 

Celebrity is not a government and it's dress rules are elastic. Celebrity says dress comfortably multiple times. My last Celebrity cruise someone wore a t-shirt (a nice clean oe, no graphics)  on one of the evening chic nights and certainly the hostess would have seen that he was wearing it when he came to the hostess stand. It was not assigned time seaing. Personally I follow the Celebrity dress recomendations as their recomndations are how I normally dress but it does not bother me if others dress in a manner they see as dressing comfortably when that is Celebrity policy. If they go out of bounds to Celebrity suggestions like they wear t shirt of shorts no harm comes to me. That is Celebity's problem or not problem. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Celebrity is not a government and it's dress rules are elastic. Celebrity says dress comfortably multiple times. My last Celebrity cruise someone wore a t-shirt (a nice clean oe, no graphics)  on one of the evening chic nights and certainly the hostess would have seen that he was wearing it when he came to the hostess stand. It was not assigned time seaing. Personally I follow the Celebrity dress recomendations as their recomndations are how I normally dress but it does not bother me if others dress in a manner they see as dressing comfortably when that is Celebrity policy. If they go out of bounds to Celebrity suggestions like they wear t shirt of shorts no harm comes to me. That is Celebity's problem or not problem. 

You didn’t answer my question.  You are also obfuscating Celebrity’s dress code.  It says “… should be comfortable wearing” and gives specific examples.  None of those examples include a T-shirt in the dining room on any night.  A couple of points you might want to think about.  

1) DW and I have spent many hours talking to staff.  Many come from third world countries and their jobs with Celebrity are incredibly important to them.  That makes them reluctant to confront passengers who refuse to follows rules because of the inevitable complaints from self entitled people.  Are you comfortable treating people that way?  

2) Civilization is skin deep and we are on a slippery slope.   If you aren’t looking around and being made uncomfortable with what’s going on you are unconscious.  You can argue that ignoring minor rules you don’t like isn’t the same as using drugs in public, sleeping on the street, or looting but there are plenty of people who seem to think that’s ok.  Once you are willing to say I’m only going to follow the rules I like you can’t be surprised when others do the same about rules you think should be followed.

Last point.  At some point in this thread you stated that those that don’t like others not following the rules shouldn’t cruise.  That’s backwards.  Those that don’t want to follow the rules have the option of finding a vacation without those rules.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I personally don't care what others wear as it has no direct impact on my cruise experience.  If Celebrity were going to suddenly start enforcing any rule I would much prefer it be the one that doesn't allow saving seats by the pool.  Was just on a cruise and its very frustrating to get to the pool at 8am, intending to actually use the pool right then, and have literally every seat already "saved" and just sitting there empty, sometimes for hours.  If Celebrity can't seem to manage something this blatant, that clearly impacts the cruising experience of other passengers, good luck getting them to hold anyone's feet to the fire over what they wear to dinner.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

I personally don't care what others wear as it has no direct impact on my cruise experience.  If Celebrity were going to suddenly start enforcing any rule I would much prefer it be the one that doesn't allow saving seats by the pool.  Was just on a cruise and its very frustrating to get to the pool at 8am, intending to actually use the pool right then, and have literally every seat already "saved" and just sitting there empty, sometimes for hours.  If Celebrity can't seem to manage something this blatant, that clearly impacts the cruising experience of other passengers, good luck getting them to hold anyone's feet to the fire over what they wear to dinner.  

You are still arguing for selective enforcement of the rules.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gholsten said:

That’s backwards.  Those that don’t want to follow the rules have the option of finding a vacation without those rules.  

But they are not going to take that option. There are always going to be  people who don't follow the rules on cruises. As you noted Celebrity is in the hospitality business so the crew is going to be reluctant to confront passengers. The crew should be reluctant to confront passengers. If you want to be "woke' about them being from the thirld world I got news for you. Crew from the first world is reluctant to confront guests too. Cruises are not the real world. They are fantasy. If you want to make political points about society blah, blah blah from what happens on cruise ships I am not interested. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

You are still arguing for selective enforcement of the rules.

No doubt, only trying to show that the dress code isn't going to be getting enforced any time soon based on their non enforcement of even more egregious rule breaking.  

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

If they are going to have the rules then enforce them.   If not then remove the rules and the confusion it causes.

For the xxx time--- You are absolutely correct.

What bothers me ( if you didn't already know ) is the " Entitled " XXXXX and all the friggin Officers strutting around --- always with their phone to their ear looking busy-- Who the hell are they talking to? Nobody--- they just don't want to be bothered. It's All BS. 

Therefore--- nobody does anything --- because nobody cares.

Time to move on to:  " What should I do with the $16 left on my OBC "?

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

If they are going to have the rules then enforce them.   If not then remove the rules and the confusion it causes.

Understand about either have rules and enforce them or dont have them, but not sure what the confusion is. The ‘rules’ are extremely simple and straightforward…..except when you are looking for a group of strangers on line to tell you its OK to do what you want to hear (or in this case, read!)

Pants and collared shirt, thats it…..heck with those rules, you can go Commando!!  

Personally, I bet the Great Great majority of even us men follow the dress code rule and those that don’t, so be it. Just wear the shorts, keep looking around the table trying to spot one person glaring at you so you can feel superior.  

I laugh at that laundry ad that shows the guy with a wrinkled t-shirt sitting across from his date who is dressed to the Nines……yeah, an unwrinkled T would be sooooo much more appropriate. Good way to go on many dates with a different woman each time. 

And notice it is All about us men…woman ask if their very stylish decorative, jeweled $200 jeans are OK -  I always thought ‘jeans’ are worn-out blue denim with a big leather patch on the back telling others the brand, ‘Levi’ if you are a classic - the decorative ‘jeans’ are real beauties and except for the name, have nothing to do with  ‘jeans’….except Maybe the material. And I dont think women want some Matre de rubbing their thighs and saying, ‘Sorry no denim jeans’!

And So It Is. 

Den