Retreat on Nieuw Statendam

rickcherryb

My Wife and I were booked on a Princess Cruise in  December of this year. Due to work changes, we had to cancel this cruise, and decided to try Holland America which we have not sailed on before. We are wondering if the Retreat area of the Nieuw Statendam is free. I know the cabanas will cost extra, but just not sure if the Retreat area itself is free. We are excited about trying Holland America, we have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival and NCL cruise lines.

Thanks 

I’m not sure why that area would be free.  It defeats the purpose for those that pay a good chunk of cash for them.  Can you go into the area on the Princess ships for free?  I’m curious because I’ve never heard of such a thing.  I know that you can’t go into the sanctuary for free.  

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m not sure why that area would be free.  It defeats the purpose for those that pay a good chunk of cash for them.  Can you go into the area on the Princess ships for free?  I’m curious because I’ve never heard of such a thing.  I know that you can’t go into the sanctuary for free.  

Princess has on some ships a retreat area with a pool and loungers.  It is free but the cabanas are for a charge.  And they are not worth it as they are right next to the pool  and not private at all.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rickcherryb said:

I know the cabanas will cost extra, but just not sure if the Retreat area itself is free.

Do not tell anyone but the deck above the pool (Nieuw Statendam/K'dam/R'dam) has great lounge sofas and lounge chairs.  It does not come with a butler but it is close to the pizza and one short stairwell to the Dive In Burgers and the lido Marketplace (lido buffet).......And it comes with no surcharge.

The pool and no surcharge hot tubs are also one level down......

(please keep this a secret....I'd hate for other passengers to figure this area out...LOL)

Welcome onboard Holland America Line!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Do not tell anyone but the deck above the pool (Nieuw Statendam/K'dam/R'dam) has great lounge sofas and lounge chairs.  It does not come with a butler but it is close to the pizza and one short stairwell to the Dive In Burgers and the lido Marketplace (lido buffet).......And it comes with no surcharge.

The pool and no surcharge hot tubs are also one level down......

(please keep this a secret....I'd hate for other passengers to figure this area out...LOL)

Welcome onboard Holland America Line!

I was going to mention it myself but I couldn’t remember what floor they were on and I didn’t want to guess because people love to tell you you are wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

We are on N Statendam in Nov for a B2B, good tip.  I am unfamiliar with this ship, would that be deck 10?

Any chance you are on 11/19 and 11/26 NS?

If so, we will be the folks reading Grisholm novels in those lounges after we toss the chair hogs stuff in the ocean....LOL. 

See y'all onboard!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

If so, we will be the folks reading Grisholm novels in those lounges after we toss the chair hogs stuff in the ocean....LOL. 

See y'all onboard!

We are on 11/26 & Dec 3-10.  We will be watching you keep those chair hogs in line-LOL  looking forward to seeing you on board.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Retreat cabanas are FAR better.

Agree!

I think everybody should go pay the surcharge and use the those nice, quiet, comfortable surcharge retreat cabanas. They are far nicer.

(That increases our chances of getting a no surcharge deck 10 lounger......glad we all have choices!)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree!

I think everybody should go pay the surcharge and use the those nice, quiet, comfortable surcharge retreat cabanas. They are far nicer.

(That increases our chances of getting a no surcharge deck 10 lounger......glad we all have choices!)

Now don’t encourage that behaviour 😛.  I think everyone should soak up those freebies 😉.

16 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

See y'all onboard!

Thank goodness I'll be off by Nov 12 - as I'll be hogging them until then! (Course, I'll be there with my stuff, and I might be somewhat difficult to toss over board!)

4 hours ago, pengu1n said:

Thank goodness I'll be off by Nov 12 - as I'll be hogging them until then! (Course, I'll be there with my stuff, and I might be somewhat difficult to toss over board!)

Gotcha!

But if you are there with your stuff, you do not meet the definition of a chair hog......Chair hogs typically come out at first light and mark their spot with a book, towel and suntan lotion and then depart until after lunch......leaving that valuable real estate as their personal storage area while others are unable to enjoy....

You are not a chair hog......but you will know one when you experience one....sometimes you can spot them in the embarkation area.....they tend to pile up their carry on luggage at the end of the waiting chair aisles so that folks cannot sit or pass by them....Be on the lookout!  LOL.

....and if you get the chance, come on here and tell me about the Billboard Onboard performers...I'm hoping for a good dual for the two weeks after you get off...and we get on!

Enjoy the Nieuw Statendam.......Have fun...smooth sailing!

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1