Get your name fully right when making reservation - or else.

JDBRANDT17042

I discovered recently that:

IF your name isn't matching your passport name;

AND NCL is providing your air travel

AND you call in to correct the name on the reservation

THEN you will be charged a FEE to do so.

So, lesson learned, ... get it right the first time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

Thankyou for warning others!  Sorry that YOU found-out the hard way.

48 minutes ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

Why didn't your NCL reservation name match your passport?  I'm assuming that we aren't talking middle names/initials, which have been a (non)issue for years.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why didn't your NCL reservation name match your passport?  I'm assuming that we aren't talking middle names/initials, which have been a (non)issue for years.

Where did you get that idea?

While your airline tickets don't have to have your middle name, the information given to the airline MUST match your travel documents - middle names/initials ARE definitely an issue, especially if traveling overseas.

Name changes or corrections
All guests must provide their complete legal name exactly as it appears on their required travel documentation. If your full legal name(s) does not reflect correctly on your cruise confirmation, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1800-327-7030 or your travel advisor immediately.

Failure to provide your correct complete legal name prior to final payment, will result in a nonrefundable change fee of $150. Flights booked without your complete legal name exactly as it appears on your required travel documentation may result in denial of boarding by the airline.

37 minutes ago, julig22 said:

While your airline tickets don't have to have your middle name, the information given to the airline MUST match your travel documents - middle names/initials ARE definitely an issue, especially if traveling overseas.

Southwest Airlines does NOT require a middle name on a ticket purchase.

3 hours ago, JDBRANDT17042 said:

On our very first cruise back in 1988, the TA put the fear of G*d into us about this issue.  We've never forgotten it and never fail to immediately check our confirmations to ensure that names match up.  

All TA's should make sure people understand this.

Edited by Robkat

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

No, they do not.  I just checked.

If you say so, good luck with that.

But I like my TSA pre-check/Global entry so TSA has my middle name, just as it appears on my passport.  And my real ID license.

18 minutes ago, julig22 said:

If you say so, good luck with that.

But I like my TSA pre-check/Global entry so TSA has my middle name, just as it appears on my passport.  And my real ID license.

It's been like that for years.  Many, many flights.  Never a problem.   I used to book my own travel at Megacorp, and our booking system only transferred a middle initial to the airlines.  That was never a problem.  That's why I posted about this.  I looked into it years ago, and actually found something on the TSA website confirming that it didn't matter.  No, I don't have a link but I imagine if somebody was really concerned that they could find it as well.

To your point, I also have my middle name properly documented on real ID license, passport, etc.  It's just that travel companies don't do a good/consistent job with middle names, so TSA, etc. doesn't seem to require them.  YMMV.

It’s the same people giving you the demonstrably bad advice that you don’t need to match your checkin name with exactly how it appears on your passport when booking into NCL’s Air and Sea program.   And they gleefully spray this bad advice all over every thread that brings this topic up like Rip Taylor with a bag of rainbow colored confetti. 

Ignore them.   They are babbling about something they’re just confused about.  

It doesn’t matter whether anyone knows someone at TSA or talked to someone at the airline or met some guy whose friends know people at homeland security.  

What matters is what NCL tells you their policy is:

“Name changes or corrections
All guests must provide their complete legal name exactly as it appears on their required travel documentation. If your full legal name(s) does not reflect correctly on your cruise confirmation, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1800-327-7030 or your travel advisor immediately.

Failure to provide your correct complete legal name prior to final payment, will result in a nonrefundable change fee of $150. Flights booked without your complete legal name exactly as it appears on your required travel documentation may result in denial of boarding by the airline.”

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/airsea

If you used your middle name, or you called yourself Richard instead of Rick, or you can never remember the correct spelling for Smith, look at your passport, then put what you see into your Norwegian checkin form.  

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 2

Our middle names are on our passports and my husband has a doozy of a middle name thanks to immigrant parents.  (It's part of his legal name but he never uses it in everyday life.) Been married for over 40 years and I still check the spelling very carefully when I submit any documents for international travel. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, julig22 said:

Name changes or corrections
All guests must provide their complete legal name exactly as it appears on their required travel documentation. If your full legal name(s) does not reflect correctly on your cruise confirmation, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1800-327-7030 or your travel advisor immediately.

Failure to provide your correct complete legal name prior to final payment, will result in a nonrefundable change fee of $150. Flights booked without your complete legal name exactly as it appears on your required travel documentation may result in denial of boarding by the airline.

Not at all true as far as airlines go.  All of our passports have our middle names yet we never use middle names on our flight reservations.  It has never been an issue is over three decades of flying.  NCL can state whatever they want but their posting of info on their web site in no way controls an airline's policy.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Not at all true as far as airlines go.  All of our passports have our middle names yet we never use middle names on our flight reservations.  It has never been an issue is over three decades of flying.  NCL can state whatever they want but their posting of info on their web site in no way controls an airline's policy.

First of all, quite a bit has changed in 3 decades.  Per what I have read, TSA requires information from the airline (circa 2009) that matches your official id. You may not have to "use" your middle name to make a reservation and it doesn't have to appear on your ticket but that doesn't mean that the airline doesn't have the information available to provide to TSA. 

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Southwest Airlines does NOT require a middle name on a ticket purchase.

On the other hand, I just made a round trip on Southwest this past weekend. 

I correctly put my name in the system (double first name, no middle name).  My boarding passes were incorrect as they split my name into first and middle names.

Sigh. I didn't make an issue of it at the Southwest counter.

It didn't cause a problem this trip. I have had TSA officers catch the error in the past when they would check the boarding passes and ID when going into security.

As my ID (driver's license, passport)  correctly lists my name  (double first name , NMI) and I match the picture, they acknowledge it as an incompetent   IT programmer error, and pass me on through.

For my upcoming cruise in November we are using the air through NCL.  My son is traveling with someone who has never cruised before - so no latitudes number.  Once we got a copy of the reservation  we noticed that there was no JR. at the end of the name (which we told them when we were booking).  So I called NCL back to add the jr.  She said she added it, and was resending.  Once we got the updated version - still no jr.  I called back again, and the person told me that they were seeing the jr on the reservation and I had nothing to worry about.  Still I wanted to actually see the reservation with the correct name.  So I once again called (now mind you, with each of these calls I was on hold for at least an hour.  Once I had to hang up after waiting over an hour because a call was coming in I had to take).  The person I spoke to assured me that the air tickets would have Jr on them.  Told me the only thing I could do was to set up a latitudes account for this person to verify.   Looked into how to do that, but couldn't figure it out - all I found was that after sailing you would automatically be enrolled.

Fast forward to a month ago - got air reservations.  Guess what - no Jr.  aaauuugggghhh.  Another phone call.  that phone call transferred me to the air department.  This person told me - "we reserve with the name on your reservation, let me look into it." was on hold a bunch of minutes, and the person came back and told me that it was incorrect but they corrected it.  Of course she informs me that its only updated with TSA which is what is important.  Asked her how do I verify this, and she told me I can't.  

So making sure names are correct maybe only half the battle.  I looked up on the TSA website, and found that "jr" is an acceptable deviation in name & ID - so hopefully no problems.  We will find out in 28 days.  Wish me luck all!  

5 minutes ago, workingmom200112 said:

For my upcoming cruise in November we are using the air through NCL.  My son is traveling with someone who has never cruised before - so no latitudes number.  Once we got a copy of the reservation  we noticed that there was no JR. at the end of the name (which we told them when we were booking).  So I called NCL back to add the jr.  She said she added it, and was resending.  Once we got the updated version - still no jr.  I called back again, and the person told me that they were seeing the jr on the reservation and I had nothing to worry about.  Still I wanted to actually see the reservation with the correct name.  So I once again called (now mind you, with each of these calls I was on hold for at least an hour.  Once I had to hang up after waiting over an hour because a call was coming in I had to take).  The person I spoke to assured me that the air tickets would have Jr on them.  Told me the only thing I could do was to set up a latitudes account for this person to verify.   Looked into how to do that, but couldn't figure it out - all I found was that after sailing you would automatically be enrolled.

Fast forward to a month ago - got air reservations.  Guess what - no Jr.  aaauuugggghhh.  Another phone call.  that phone call transferred me to the air department.  This person told me - "we reserve with the name on your reservation, let me look into it." was on hold a bunch of minutes, and the person came back and told me that it was incorrect but they corrected it.  Of course she informs me that its only updated with TSA which is what is important.  Asked her how do I verify this, and she told me I can't.  

So making sure names are correct maybe only half the battle.  I looked up on the TSA website, and found that "jr" is an acceptable deviation in name & ID - so hopefully no problems.  We will find out in 28 days.  Wish me luck all!  

Good Luck!

• Haha 1