Cruising Speed vs Efficiency

OysterD

While I'm sure there are many reasons for itinerary changes and I understand ports might change their 'opening hours' or docking slots, which might result in ships having to depart earlier than originally scheduled, I'm curious if Celebrity (and other lines) might change their scheduled hours in port to try and save on fuel? 

Booked on a cruise next year and just received an itinerary change which results in departing 3 ports an hour earlier than scheduled and arriving into 2 ports an hour later than originally scheduled. Interestingly even though departing 3 ports an hour earlier, we aren't arriving into port the next day an hour earlier so the net effect is 5 hours longer at sea. Presumably this means the ships can travel a little slower which would have the effect of saving fuel, which at the moment is obviously a huge cost to cruise lines. I read that a 10% reduction in speed can result in a 20% savings in fuel, which when you consider RCCL spent $275m on fuel in Q2 this year, can result in huge savings. 

The email from Celebrity states the changes are being made for "operational efficiencies" which makes me wonder if it is to save fuel (or port fees maybe), surely if it was because of individual port requirements they would have just said "operational reasons"? The changes aren't a deal breaker, but it's a shame one port has changed from 9am-6pm to 10am-5pm as 2 hours less on shore will make quite a difference there.

A question for seasoned cruisers, have you noticed ships taking longer to travel from one port to another recently, with less time spent in each port, or are they roughly the same as they always have been? Have many people noticed itinerary changes resulting in less time spent in ports and more hours at sea or is ours more of a one off?

• Like 1

You could be on to something.  I think I'd rather the ships slow their roll at sea than raise fare prices even more in order to cover the increased cost of fuel.  The down side I guess is a net loss of time in ports of call.  This could be a challenge for those visiting a port for the first time who may require longer to complete a tour.  Reduced port time in the Caribbean would not impact me much as we have been there, done that many times.  But the Mediterranean would be much different for us as we have only cruised in that part of the world one time and still have much to see and do.

We received a similar notice that our times at 4 of our ports have been changed (reduced) for operational efficiency reasons.  This is for a Dec 2023 sailing on Solstice.

image.png.c2414047d89d727af109dab5be9f6b69.png

It could also be to the availability of a pilot and dock hands.  It could also be saving some on the docking fees.  

Also leaving at 5 instead of 6 could be for the dining hours and ships nightly activities 

There could be many reasons 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

As others have said it is not uncommon.   I"m sure it's a combination of Port Fees and fuel efficiencies.   With the fuel prices being one of their major cost components and the current prices of fuel they will do what they can to maximize profitability.