Observations from first time Windstar cruise

markgray

8 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Recently off the Pride. Some have suggested a 6:00pm dinner start time, and those of us who prefer not to rush, we should wait until 7:00 or whenever. The problem is that Amphora is not large enough. In order to get a table-for-two, one needs to be near the front of the line. So if the line starts at 6:00pm, then we would either need to eat too early or wait too long, the early diners would not be leaving their tables by our preferred 7-7:30pm dining time. Cuadro 44 was not a good option, way too noisy. Candles was ok. 

Last night I counted more than 50 people in line at 6:50 waiting for Amphora to open...on an overnight port day.  Couples were seated at four-tops when two-tops were gone.

Also a Windstar first-timer.  I agree that Amphora is too small. We learned that if we wanted a table for two, we had to get in line before they opened at 6:30. I was not impressed with Candles at all.  Of course part of that might be that we were cruising in cold weather (Canada/New England) so there was no outside seating. So basically it was just like eating in Veranda, except that you were served and there was steak on the menu.

Veranda was very crowded for breakfast and lunch. Again, it was too cold to eat outside and the only other option was Yacht Club, which has very limited food choices. I don't know why they don't serve breakfast and lunch in Amphora, as they do on other cruise lines (breakfast and lunch in dining rooms) on the cold weather cruises.  We did order room service a couple of times but found it to be of a lesser quality than going to the restaurants.

Overall, the food was just ok.

We did find that the majority of the cruisers on board that we met were repeat Windstar customers, and I get the loyalty I see here, but I don't think we will cruise with them again. 

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

If you would read the thread, the point some were making is that they (and I) would like to see Amphora open before 7 pm.  So, when 50 people are waiting at 6:45 or 6:50, that's an indication that maybe 7 is too late.  

If AmphorA opened at 6:30 PM, who's to say there wouldn't be 50 people waiting in line at 6:15 or 6:20 PM?  When we sailed on the Pride, there were never more than a few people waiting at 7:00 PM.

43 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

If AmphorA opened at 6:30 PM, who's to say there wouldn't be 50 people waiting in line at 6:15 or 6:20 PM?  When we sailed on the Pride, there were never more than a few people waiting at 7:00 PM.

Yes, but. For me, the issue was that my wife and I would like to sit together and have a quiet dinner, at least a few nights. On the Pride, I recall they were opening at 6:45? We found that if we went at our preferred 7-7:15 time for dinner, the only options were sharing, and the alternative of waiting for somebody to finish and leave did not seem feasible. So, to get our preferred seating, we would join the lineup. Whether they opened at 6:30 or 7:00, same issue. If you want a First Seating, you go and line up for 15-20 minutes. I am not sure there even was a second seating. Dining area too small, a come-when-you-want policy not working well. 
A big deal? No, a minor annoyance, but definitely detracted. Our first time aboard, in August, there  were fewer passengers and it just wasn’t an issue. In October, quite different with a full load of passengers. We’ll be back aboard in January, and the dining/seating situation is not something I am looking forward to. I am hoping that being able to go outdoors will make a big difference.

Stan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

This is why it should open at 6.

8 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Yes, but. For me, the issue was that my wife and I would like to sit together and have a quiet dinner, at least a few nights. On the Pride, I recall they were opening at 6:45? We found that if we went at our preferred 7-7:15 time for dinner, the only options were sharing, and the alternative of waiting for somebody to finish and leave did not seem feasible. So, to get our preferred seating, we would join the lineup. Whether they opened at 6:30 or 7:00, same issue. If you want a First Seating, you go and line up for 15-20 minutes. I am not sure there even was a second seating. Dining area too small, a come-when-you-want policy not working well. 
A big deal? No, a minor annoyance, but definitely detracted. Our first time aboard, in August, there  were fewer passengers and it just wasn’t an issue. In October, quite different with a full load of passengers. We’ll be back aboard in January, and the dining/seating situation is not something I am looking forward to. I am hoping that being able to go outdoors will make a big difference.

Stan

There are no “seatings” on Windstar. 

There is no solution that will please everyone.  If they institute reservations, those who like to play it by ear will be upset.  If they open at 6 [which IMHO does make sense, both to satisfy the early bird diners and to ensure that each table can be turned], they will upset those who want to dine at 7.  If opening at 6 (or earlier) means shutting down earlier (because of staffing limitations), they will upset those who want to dine late.  Different cruise lines have adopted various policies to manage this conundrum, so if it is a big deal you should look for one that handles it your preferred way.  [Full disclosure:  from what I read in this thread, Windstar's policies would not work well for DW and me.]

• Like 1

WS dinner hours have been the same for years.  Either accept it, eat in your cabin earlier, or find another cruise.  When people complain about WS and compare it to other cruise lines, they aren’t happy.  Windstar is different.  Either accept or move on. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

WS dinner hours have been the same for years.  Either accept it, eat in your cabin earlier, or find another cruise.  When people complain about WS and compare it to other cruise lines, they aren’t happy.  Windstar is different.  Either accept or move on. 

Sorry, Red, but I don't buy what you're saying.  Someone can enjoy a cruise line and still prefer to see something about it changed.  The "if you don't like everything about cruise line A, just go somewhere else" attitude is just silly.  One can "accept" something and live with it, but still wish it would be changed.  I've cruised at least ten cruise lines and haven't found one where I haven't found something I'd like to see changed.  And I don't expect to ever find one.  But I have found a few that suit me best, and that's what matters..

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Personally, I'm really thankful for this thread. It's helped me understand exactly your point. Well this thread, and another. As much as I want to travel on Windstar, it's not right for me. Beginning dinner at almost bedtime is just not for me. Nor is dressing in fancy button ups, pants, and shoes.

I'm so grateful for you, and every one else on this board helping me tick Windstar off my list of cruises to go on.

13 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I haven’t seen any complaints on this thread. I have seen others, like myself, who are first or 2nd timers on Windstar, commenting on some aspects of the Windstar Experience. Several of the comments have been about the dining situation. My first time, it was pleasant. My second time, with a closer to capacity ship, it was not pleasant. Not complaining, just commenting. My third time will be in the Caribbean, warmer weather, maybe more  options. If dining is still not pleasant, there will be no fourth time. Not a complaint, just a comment. Not comparing to other cruise lines per se, but rather to our understanding that when we pay mega bucks for a floating resort that proclaims great food as part of the experience, we would hope to be able to enjoy that great food in relative quiet like in any fine restaurant.  Your expectations may be different. No need to criticize people who have different view points.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I haven’t seen any complaints on this thread. I have seen others, like myself, who are first or 2nd timers on Windstar, commenting on some aspects of the Windstar Experience. Several of the comments have been about the dining situation. My first time, it was pleasant. My second time, with a closer to capacity ship, it was not pleasant. Not complaining, just commenting. My third time will be in the Caribbean, warmer weather, maybe more  options. If dining is still not pleasant, there will be no fourth time. Not a complaint, just a comment. Not comparing to other cruise lines per se, but rather to our understanding that when we pay mega bucks for a floating resort that proclaims great food as part of the experience, we would hope to be able to enjoy that great food in relative quiet like in any fine restaurant.  Your expectations may be different. No need to criticize people who have different view points.

Sorry. I accept WS as it is.  It seems to work well and meet my expectations.  Having taken many cruises including 11 on WS, I have heard lots of people who love WS and many who don’t like it.  It’s different from most cruise lines.  It is very quiet and very relaxed.  If you like lots of ship activities, demonstrations, and shows, WS isn’t a good choice.  WS does have some activities.  It also has some live music or entertainment nightly.  It isn’t as active as mass market ships.  Even though at home I usually eat early, I don’t object to dinner at 7.  Cuadro 44 and Candles start at 6:30.  I have never had to wait to get a table at any venue.  My last cruise in September was on Breeze.  It was very nice. Ship had 130 guests.  I do wonder how the Star ships will be when they sail with 300 + guests.  Before the expansion, Star ships had max 212 guests which they accommodated well.  I am concerned with your comment about possible dining problems when the ship sails full.  I haven’t booked any future WS cruises. Waiting for reviews when the ships are full.  

We are " go backers ", whether  it is the WS cruises up coming 26 th, more than that 25 under sail 1 motor pre stretch, hotels/inn that we love, we will often make detours, restaurants ( sadly we have not eaten inside since 3/13/20 in our home area and only when absolutely necessary on the road or inside on the Surf ) and in traveling and vacations. It is all individual. We adore the Surf, for us if something is off so be it, I sometimes will write WS privately and that goes for all the other places we frequent. Life for us is too short to moan. We appreciate what people try to do for us to make our trips lovely. We feel fortunate to be able to do what we do. Frankly rudeness, moaning over trivia saddens us. People simply need to do what they like: don't like WS don't go, go to a happy place so others can enjoy theirs. Happy Sailing

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Strenz said:

We are " go backers ", whether  it is the WS cruises up coming 26 th, more than that 25 under sail 1 motor pre stretch, hotels/inn that we love, we will often make detours, restaurants ( sadly we have not eaten inside since 3/13/20 in our home area and only when absolutely necessary on the road or inside on the Surf ) and in traveling and vacations. It is all individual. We adore the Surf, for us if something is off so be it, I sometimes will write WS privately and that goes for all the other places we frequent. Life for us is too short to moan. We appreciate what people try to do for us to make our trips lovely. We feel fortunate to be able to do what we do. Frankly rudeness, moaning over trivia saddens us. People simply need to do what they like: don't like WS don't go, go to a happy place so others can enjoy theirs. Happy Sailing

Excellent 

@markgray I'm interested in the logistics of your 4:45 am arrival at the airport:

"We arrived at airport 4:45am and paid about $65 for day pass (reserve ahead of time) at Intercontinental Tahiti (IHG) near airport."

I arrive at 10:30 pm on December 13th and will be staying at the Intercontinental Tahiti.  Did you take a taxi or something else? How much did it cost

Second question: you had a day pass at the hotel but then you must have transferred to the ship later in the day.  How did you do that? By taxi?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by OhItsU

2 hours ago, OhItsU said:

@markgray I'm interested in the logistics of your 4:45 am arrival at the airport:

"We arrived at airport 4:45am and paid about $65 for day pass (reserve ahead of time) at Intercontinental Tahiti (IHG) near airport."

I arrive at 10:30 pm on December 13th and will be staying at the Intercontinental Tahiti.  Did you take a taxi or something else? How much did it cost

Second question: you had a day pass at the hotel but then you must have transferred to the ship later in the day.  How did you do that? By taxi?

Thanks,

Brian

Just over a mile from Tahiti airport to the Intercontinental.

• Thanks 1

We will be making our first WS cruise in February(Panama Canal). WS' 7 PM dinner time is consistent with other cruises (both river and ocean) we have done, including one we just finished last weekend in Greece. It's a little later than we usually eat at home (6-6:30), but not unbearable. I do agree that finishing dinner as late as 9 PM (due to chatting with our dinner companions) isn't the best idea for one's system, as we often find ourselves tired after a busy day and therefore might want to turn in early. 

If dinner hours are important to you then I suggest you research what the times are BEFORE booking the cruise. It will make your cruise more enjoyable if you can eat at a time that works best for you.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, bebtwice said:

If dinner hours are important to you then I suggest you research what the times are BEFORE booking the cruise. It will make your cruise more enjoyable if you can eat at a time that works best for you.

This might be the best advice I've ever read on Cruise Critic! That's how I found this topic and the amazingly helpful (don't book) Windstar advice. I thank you, and so many others who gave a realistic idea of what it's like to be on Windstar. Maybe when I get older I'll be able to stay up past 8:30 or 9 PM, but I think I got about 37 years before that happens. 

33 minutes ago, Misty Morning said:

Cuadro 44 opened at 6PM on our recent cruise and Candles at 6h30.  We always went at 8PM and never had to wait except once because we wanted to be in specific section in Amphora.

Sounds like perfect timing to me.  The 'early bird' diners must rush through dinner!

11 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

Cuadro 44 opened at 6PM on our recent cruise and Candles at 6h30.  We always went at 8PM and never had to wait except once because we wanted to be in specific section in Amphora.

Oooo that gives me hope! 6 PM can be my 5:30 on a cruise ship! 🙂 I don't go to shows, so I could still have a relaxing meal. 

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oooo that gives me hope! 6 PM can be my 5:30 on a cruise ship! 🙂 I don't go to shows, so I could still have a relaxing meal. 

Opening times can vary by ship, perhaps by general manager and/or maitre d'.  Candles opened at 6:45 on Pride during the 36 days we cruised her this fall.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sounds like perfect timing to me.  The 'early bird' diners must rush through dinner!

I wouldn’t say two hours (6-8 pm) is rushing through dinner, some of us just prefer to digest our meal before bedtime, healthier for our bodies so slap early bird nomenclature on us but not having heartburn at midnight, priceless.

• Like 1