Cabin Door Decorations

shipshape sam

3 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Thinking of decorating our cabin door and need to know if doors are metal (magnetic) or not.  Any help is appreciated.

Doors are metal - at least in my experience.   Sometimes they have banned door decorations- particularly ones that may burn easily.     My most recent cruise they were allowed.  YMMV.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Thinking of decorating our cabin door and need to know if doors are metal (magnetic) or not.  Any help is appreciated.

All HAL ships I have been on have had magnetic metal doors. (have not yet been on Pinnacle class)

A little something or other to identify you door is probably OK. When travelling with family, pretty constantly used the doors for messages. Be sure not to scratch the door! Any repairs will be charged to you.

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam right now in a 5th floor balcony.   The door is not magnetic.    I had a new 11” x 11” magnet made by Etsy and was so disappointed.    Until we realized that since the wall was magnetized we were able to hang it above our mailbox.    Others on our floor have door hangings.   Some look like they are hung using command hooks.   We always like seeing the different things people mark their rooms with.   
Maryell 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryandmarge said:

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam right now in a 5th floor balcony.   The door is not magnetic.    I had a new 11” x 11” magnet made by Etsy and was so disappointed.    Until we realized that since the wall was magnetized we were able to hang it above our mailbox.    Others on our floor have door hangings.   Some look like they are hung using command hooks.   We always like seeing the different things people mark their rooms with.   
Maryell 

You jogged my memory - we were just on the Nieuw Statendam and the outside of the door was not magnetic.  I had to stick a door magnet on the jamb above the door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Changing table linen?  is that a carnival thing?

No, it is a sarcasm thing. Somebody with taste (usually) and interior design knowledge created the decor of the ship with its hallways, yet people think it is ok to hang some junk on the door for "everyone to enjoy". Husband and wife - cruise partners for life...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Wow, tunafish, a pretty harsh put down to the OP, who was only asking for advice not a critique on something he likes to do. I hardly think a few door decorations ruins the ideas of those tasteful interior decorators. 

Well said. Why do people feel the need to be sarcastic and nasty. Just so unnecessary.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Beejay4016 said:

Well said. Why do people feel the need to be sarcastic and nasty. Just so unnecessary.

Well said. Why do people need to be so in your face with those decorations? Hang them inside your room, this is common space, respect it. For me it feels similar to people brining bluetooth speakers to the pool or loudspeakers to the beach and play their music. Just so unnecessary
Such actions seem innocent on the surface but they are extremely egocentric if you think about it. Fortunately, cruising is routine nowadays, so those decorations do not bother me more that a graffiti on a random façade.  

• Like 7

On 10/12/2022 at 11:17 AM, tunafish said:

At least people do not change table linens in MDR to their home decor or bring their mixed tape to the piano bar...yet

putting a bunch of crap on a hallway door reminds me of graffiti....believe it or not there are a lot of people who don't really care to see the hallways defaced with a lot of "decorations"....what's next, political slogans or pics of the grandkids?  how about just leave the doors as they are?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tunafish said:

Well said. Why do people need to be so in your face with those decorations? Hang them inside your room, this is common space, respect it. For me it feels similar to people brining bluetooth speakers to the pool or loudspeakers to the beach and play their music. Just so unnecessary
Such actions seem innocent on the surface but they are extremely egocentric if you think about it. Fortunately, cruising is routine nowadays, so those decorations do not bother me more that a graffiti on a random façade.  

I am not a fan of door decorations. But the ones that really bother me are the balloons and stuff that stick out so far that you bump into them every time you walk down the hall. I know that it is the breeze that causes them to reach out and boop you on the head but why do they need to be so far out? A picture or bow is one thing but ten balloons is another. Please be respectful.

• Like 8

Been on 35 cruises and never have put a door decoration on.  Was considering doing it and plan to still do something even without approval of some posters for our 45th anniversary.  As to why do people do it? They are having some fun. May not be your type of fun, but I rarely see one that does not have something nice/humorous on it.  I like the ones with a brief saying and their names.  I think if it bothered me so much, I might take another route.  I can't believe anyone it intending to target anyone to irritate them.

I did read where, I think it was MSC, stopped allowing door decorations.  

I do agree that some are over the top as to sticking out, but I bet we all could find something we do not like and wish it was not done by passengers, chair hogs, seat savers are two I have read a lot about here on CC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I use a credit card sized magnet to help DH spot our stateroom. Yes, he knows the number but somehow never recalls it or remembers how far down the hallway it is.

On my last cruise, I could not get into my cabin with my key card. Then I realized it was the wrong cabin! It was down the hall from my cabin. I'm glad no one saw me in the hallway.  It would have been embarrassing if someone had thought I was trying to break into their cabin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Been on 35 cruises and never have put a door decoration on.  Was considering doing it and plan to still do something even without approval of some posters for our 45th anniversary.  As to why do people do it? They are having some fun. May not be your type of fun, but I rarely see one that does not have something nice/humorous on it.  I like the ones with a brief saying and their names.  I think if it bothered me so much, I might take another route.  I can't believe anyone it intending to target anyone to irritate them.

I did read where, I think it was MSC, stopped allowing door decorations.  

I do agree that some are over the top as to sticking out, but I bet we all could find something we do not like and wish it was not done by passengers, chair hogs, seat savers are two I have read a lot about here on CC.

I too have been on multiple cruises and was going to say I didn’t use door decor, when I realized many years ago when it seemed as if all the halls, doors and carpets were monotonous and kinda scary to get lost in, I used a ribbon on a railing. I found out that door decor now is a big thing on Disney etc. This month Im hanging on Halloween day, two Day of the Dead flowered colorful skeletons. One day would be fun to see but then it does get a bit tacky. What the heck! Life is short! Enjoy a fun door. 

• Like 2