Medication On Cruise?

CChamp

In the past I have carried prescription medication on a cruise in sandwich bags being as some of my bottles are rather large. A friend of mine pointed out that Carnival or the airport (could) say that they don't know exactly what is in the bags and not allow them, which would not be good. I have not had a problem in the past putting them in sandwich bags but my friends idea sounds like it could happen. Can someone share some insight as to how you bring your meds on a cruise? Thanks in advance.

I always bring the prescription bottles. First because it proves they are legitimate prescriptions and secondly in case there is delay in returning to the port. I fill the 7 day pill pack with the prescription pills. I also carry the medication list. You just never know I would rather have too many then not enough.

2 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

I have been on many cruises (& airplanes) and have NEVER brought my prescription bottles. 

My pills are in those daily pill boxes (yes I'm old) and in my carry on. 

Both my wife and I do exactly the same thing. And we've never had a problem.

• Like 1

DH puts a weeks worth (however many days we are traveling) into a meds carrying (Sun, Mon, Tues clear plastic holder) case with days of week on it.  He then takes a pix of each prescription bottle (with the corresponding pill next to it) with the RX stuff written on it.  Never takes the bottles.

The meds are in his carry on bag and clearly marked/transparent.  He also takes a pix of the prescribing doctors business card with phone, fax and address for reference.  He has been doing this for decades whenever we travel including cruising and travel abroad, no issues at all.    

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 4

While technically it could be an issue, realistically it's not and not something you need to concern yourself. Just carry your medications the way you always have and don't worry about. 99 cruises under my belt and never an issue,furthermore, in forty years of flying it's never been an issue at the airport.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

I have been on many cruises (& airplanes) and have NEVER brought my prescription bottles. 

Same here.  I do bring along a printout from the pharmacy of all the meds though, just in case. (it comes on the bag when we refill our prescriptions)  We use the 7 day pill box holder, and always pack an extra 2 weeks of meds in sandwich bags just in case.

• Like 1

We have been on 20 cruises and have never taken the bottles our pills came in.  We flew for two cruises this year and drove for another.  We take our meds in daily pillboxes.  My wife also brings a larger pillbox with lots of different over the count meds we might need.  We have never had any issues with these.  The only time we ever had an issue with any medication is when my wife had a bottle of liquid Pepto Bismol in her medicine bag.  TSA did do a separate check that one time.

1 hour ago, CChamp said:

In the past I have carried prescription medication on a cruise in sandwich bags being as some of my bottles are rather large. A friend of mine pointed out that Carnival or the airport (could) say that they don't know exactly what is in the bags and not allow them, which would not be good. I have not had a problem in the past putting them in sandwich bags but my friends idea sounds like it could happen. Can someone share some insight as to how you bring your meds on a cruise? Thanks in advance.

All our dail medication my wife puts in those weekly hoilders. One set for me and one set for her. Screw carrying around perscription bottes and then havin to bring them out every moring and evening.

• Like 4

Sailing in the Western Hemisphere I have not heard of any problems.  however some other areas are particular about what you bring in,  even prohibit some meds that are OTC for us.  The Arab countries come to mind, as well as Japan…. EM

Also, bring more prescrption meds than you expect to need.  I was just on a cruise that was extended for 1 day due to Hurricane Ian.  I was lucky to get a flight home within 2 days of my original planned return.  I met people at the airport who were "stuck" trying to get home for 3 or 4 days.  Although there is a pharmacy on land, don't count on drug refills aboard a ship.  (You might get lucky but don't count on it.)

Also, the earlier post about original packaging for any controlled substance seems like prudent advice. 

I also use "pill pouches" as an alternative to sandwich baggies.  The size works better for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose-Disposable-Pill-Pouches-50-count/10318648

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Sailing in the Western Hemisphere I have not heard of any problems.  however some other areas are particular about what you bring in,  even prohibit some meds that are OTC for us.  The Arab countries come to mind, as well as Japan…. EM

I was on a Suez Canal cruise in 2019 that ended in Dubai and there was all this pre-cruise worry about the UAE looking for drugs that were supposedly banned substances. Turns out the worry was all for naught. The luggage came off the ship, past through your typical airport/cruise port scanner, and that was it. No one cared one bit. 

3 hours ago, coldweather said:

Also, bring more prescrption meds than you expect to need.  I was just on a cruise that was extended for 1 day due to Hurricane Ian.  I was lucky to get a flight home within 2 days of my original planned return.  I met people at the airport who were "stuck" trying to get home for 3 or 4 days.  Although there is a pharmacy on land, don't count on drug refills aboard a ship.  (You might get lucky but don't count on it.)

Also, the earlier post about original packaging for any controlled substance seems like prudent advice. 

I also use "pill pouches" as an alternative to sandwich baggies.  The size works better for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose-Disposable-Pill-Pouches-50-count/10318648

These are cheaper. They are in the craft section. They have different sizes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/100-Baggies-W-3-X4-H-Small-Reclosable-Seal-Clear-Plastic-Poly-Bag/326515524

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CChamp said:

TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply. It is illegal to bring into Mexico some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited.

I wouldn’t be concerned about it. TSA has ways of telling what the drugs are by their markings if they were really concerned. If you’d like you can always obtain a copy of your prescription paperwork from your pharmacy to prove it’s yours. 

23 hours ago, hapytobehr said:

Same with us. Plus, a quick google search of the number and description (blue capsule, white round, etc.) of the pill will tell anyone what it is.

Edited by odis