Step by Step at the Airport (CDG)

BenDover

Ok, I have my first river cruise next year which is also my 1st overseas trip.

I booked my air with the cruise line (Viking) along with the pre-cruise extension, which means transfers are included.

So please walk me through what exactly I am suppose to do once my flight arrives at the gate (CDG).

I will have at least one checked bag.

Thanks for your help - I don’t want to just follow the crowd and hope they’re doing what I doing.

35 minutes ago, BenDover said:

Ok, I have my first river cruise next year which is also my 1st overseas trip.

I booked my air with the cruise line (Viking) along with the pre-cruise extension, which means transfers are included.

So please walk me through what exactly I am suppose to do once my flight arrives at the gate (CDG).

I will have at least one checked bag.

Thanks for your help - I don’t want to just follow the crowd and hope they’re doing what I doing.

Pick up your checked bag and look for Viking staff. In most airports, they will be in the baggage claim area or just outside the baggage room. Your luggage will be collected, and you’ll see it next in or just outside your hotel room. 

1 hour ago, BenDover said:

Is it customs first and then pickup bags or the other way around?

I believe you go passport control, then bags, then to the exit hall, where all the limo drivers are holding signs with people's names on them (like in the movies!)--Viking will probably be out there.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I believe you go passport control, then bags, then to the exit hall, where all the limo drivers are holding signs with people's names on them (like in the movies!)--Viking will probably be out there.

That's it!

Are you flying directly to CDG? If so, then yes, you will follow the signs to passport control.  Go to the line that says "non EU" passports.  Then get your bags, then customs.  Customs will quite likely be empty or without any real activity.  The days of dogs or security people going thru your bags are mostly over.  Once you exit customs, you will see people standing around holding signs.  One will surely be "Viking."

If you are connecting thru another airport in Europe, you may go thru passport control there instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Customs it typically if you have nothing to declare, just keep on walking, if you do, here's the line to do so.

With connecting flights passport control can be different.  This year we flew BOS--MTL--CAL.  We expected to go thru PP control in Calgary, but did it in Montreal instead, with MTL--CAL becoming a domestic flight.

Last month we flew BOS--DUB--GLA.  We did passport control in Dublin, not Glasgow.  We figured Dublin would be a pass-through as we never left the secure area of the airport, but no.

Edited by sharkster77

When you get off the plane you will have to follow everyone to passport control. There is only one path to follow so just tromp along with everyone else. At passport control lines can be long.  At CDG there are 2 sets of lines, one (usually much shorter line) for people with EU passports and the other for All Other Passports. That’s your line. If you fly business class or have Higher frequent flyer status with a Sky Team airline (Delta, Air France, etc) there is a SkyTeam Elite Plus line you can get in that moves you to the front of the line. 

After you get your passport stamped you just follow the signs to baggage claim and get your suitcase/s. From there, there are 2 exits into the arrivals hall. The green door that is “Nothing to Declare” and a red door that is only if you need to declare something at Customs (you do not unless you are bringing more than $10,000 or some weird contraband into the country, which seems unlikely for a Viking cruise 😂). As soon as you exit the green door with your luggage you will be in the arrivals hall. Just look around and you will see one or more people in red Viking jackets with a little lollipop sign with the Viking emblem on it.  Give them your name and they will take care of you from there. It’s quite simple really. 

I always feel like my vacation has begun when I see the Viking guy in the red jacket!  
You can use those giant red stickers they give you if you want, but they kind of scream “crazy tourist” to me. You don’t really need them. And since you are doing a pre cruise extension with Viking you don’t need to put the paper luggage tags that they send you on your suitcase until you are ready to leave the hotel to board the ship a few days later. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Step by Step at the Airport (CDG)