Princess vs. Virgin Voyages Round 1: Pre-Cruise Experience

CineGraphic

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thanks .... still not a deal breaker.  Can you let me know about music onboard??

The points guy , in link above, gives information on entertainment.

Edited by dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spookyfudge said:

I agree with you, our January cruise was not that great even though we were in a mini-with the special dinning option.  We just booked two back to back cruises with Virgin (6-day) for a total price of $1600 for two out of miami and $2100 for an 8-day [includes tips, internet, tax and port fees] out of Miami (B2B) same cabin center balcony.  I can not believe how much less this is over our princess bookings.  We see that the food is much better, and if this works out w may be sailing only on Virgin Voyages in the future.  Thanks for the heads up on the match that will come in great.

Talking price only, I have 2 b2b 7 days to Mexico with Princess Plus. Sailing 11/25 and 12/13.  Total cost for an inside for 14 days is 1100 + $871. This also includes taxes and insurance. I win! 😀 This appears to be much cheaper than Virgin. Please do enjoy your cruises!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, nini said:

"Conservative, upright and closed minded"... Hmmm...are we stereotyping? One may be surprised at what a "conservative" may enjoy...

5 hours ago, dog said:

The points guy , in link above, gives information on entertainment.

Ha!

After reading through the points guy summary ( link above) cruise on Virgin,  I see where OP got that impression you mention.

points guy mentions:

”Raunchy” entertainment,, dress requirements or lack of etc for Virgin.cruises.

good review that I learned a lot from.

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

The points guy had an interesting review of Virgin Voyages

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/virgin-voyages-scarlet-lady-cruise-first-look/

4 hours ago, toofewcruises said:

Talking price only, I have 2 b2b 7 days to Mexico with Princess Plus. Sailing 11/25 and 12/13.  Total cost for an inside for 14 days is 1100 + $871. This also includes taxes and insurance. I win! 😀 This appears to be much cheaper than Virgin. Please do enjoy your cruises!

That is a fantastic price!!! Congratulations. 

I’m leaning on booking lowest balcony & trying bidding to upgrade for my next Princess cruise.  With elite- wifi, shop discounts, minibar set up, free laundry & my OBC I am doing ok.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dog said:

trying bidding to upgrade for my next Princess cruise.  

And this will infuriate those in other countries who are alienated from the ‘bidding up’ system, and so do not have an opportunity to do this. Not targeting you, but I do think Princess is wrong to only allow this to be available to certain pax on the same cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villauk said:

And this will infuriate those in other countries who are alienated from the ‘bidding up’ system, and so do not have an opportunity to do this. Not targeting you, but I do think Princess is wrong to only allow this to be available to certain pax on the same cruise!

Absolutely  - I would like to put a bid in for our next cruise on Sky but can't.  Sheer discrimination by Princess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villauk said:

absolutely agree with your point / let’s see fairness all around.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely  - I would like to put a bid in for our next cruise on Sky but can't.  Sheer discrimination by Princess.

so true!

share with those excluding you from this opportunity!!!

Looking forward to your impressions once you board and sail.  Pricing isn't an issue regarding your review as far as I am concerned - each person can make that determination for themselves based on what their preferences and wants are.

I am more interested in the boarding experience, food, entertainment, clientele, atmosphere, and public spaces.  

Enjoy and hopefully report back.

• Like 3

On 10/15/2022 at 1:34 AM, dog said:

That is a fantastic price!!! Congratulations. 

I’m leaning on booking lowest balcony & trying bidding to upgrade for my next Princess cruise.  With elite- wifi, shop discounts, minibar set up, free laundry & my OBC I am doing ok.

There are quite a few deals to be had right now. On top of those fares, I have $500 OBC. Can't beat this! I also bid for a balcony on both cruises. We shall see! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougandEric said:

Could it be that the bidding process is not allowed for various reasons by other countries?  Sort of like gambling?  I can't see that they would 'discriminate' if it generates revenue - doesn't make sense fiscally.

Not a problem in the UK. It just seems that Princess want to alienate their European customers.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not a problem in the UK. It just seems that Princess want to alienate their European customers.

wait a minute 

52 Foghorn Leghorn ideas | foghorn leghorn, foghorn leghorn quotes, funny  cartoons

aren't there Union Jacks flying on the fantail of their ships ?

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Then my question is why do you continue to contribute to a forum about Princess when you obviously don't like them and feel they discriminate against you?  If a company treated me that way, there is no way I would continue to support them.  Maybe it's time to let go and move on with your life.

21 minutes ago, DougandEric said:

Then my question is why do you continue to contribute to a forum about Princess when you obviously don't like them and feel they discriminate against you?  If a company treated me that way, there is no way I would continue to support them.  Maybe it's time to let go and move on with your life.

I didn't say I dislike Princess. We have cruised with Princess twice in the last twelve months, and will be cruising again with them early next year.

But, they are discriminating against British and European cruisers by not allowing them to participate in the bidding process, which is clearly unfair.

But thank you for your input. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have checked out the Virgin website and didn't feel it was for us but could always change my mind. The Points Guy review doesn't lead me to believe that I will but never say never. I like the kids-free aspect but the pricing was higher than we are used to. I also don't particularly like the idea of "raunchy" entertainment. Sorry, I guess maybe as a 60 year old I am not their target market 🙂  I'll be following with interest.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RNRcruisers said:

I have checked out the Virgin website and didn't feel it was for us but could always change my mind. The Points Guy review doesn't lead me to believe that I will but never say never. I like the kids-free aspect but the pricing was higher than we are used to. I also don't particularly like the idea of "raunchy" entertainment. Sorry, I guess maybe as a 60 year old I am not their target market 🙂  I'll be following with interest.

Same impression here. I also saw that video of the couple’s cabin with only a pullout day bed. And tiny bathroom. Wonder about comfort and category?

• Like 2

I checked out YouTube videos of balcony rooms, & their bathrooms are about as small as ours on our first cruise on Celebrity Meridian which was built in the 60s. Talk about tiny! And now I see I was wrong about Princess being the only line without a loveseat, but at least they do have a small chair. I was also surprised that Virgin balconies are as small as Princess Royal class. The hammock doesn’t entice me. Looking forward to hearing about the on board experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richsea said:

I checked out YouTube videos of balcony rooms, & their bathrooms are about as small as ours on our first cruise on Celebrity Meridian which was built in the 60s. Talk about tiny! And now I see I was wrong about Princess being the only line without a loveseat, but at least they do have a small chair. I was also surprised that Virgin balconies are as small as Princess Royal class. The hammock doesn’t entice me. Looking forward to hearing about the on board experience.

The bathrooms are tiny enough they have a class of balcony rooms that are noted for their larger bathrooms!  I think its Balcony XL or something like that.  (Its what we sailed in.)

• Haha 2