Past Amazon river cruisers

Crusin-Suzan

We have done the Amazon Explorer twice, the last being Nov. 2019.  The ship had implored passengers NOT to bring candy to give to the children, citing the dental health concerns.   Bring lots of dollar bills to give the children for posing and sharing their "pets"  lizards, toucans, sloths and alligators!

I wish we were going back again....it is an amazing experience. 

P1030274.JPG

P1030269.JPG

• Like 1

Lots of folks bring school supplies for the village school and there has never been an evident shortage of such items during prior visits.

We usually bring a bag of balloons, deflated plastic beach balls and, of course, our signature item, plastic Groucho glasses.

Have fun!

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I once had a very popular sack of apples, something that is an exotic treat in the upper Amazon.  I also bring pencils, pens, crayons and coloring books. 

I just bought a bunch of 24 crayola crayon boxes at Wal-Mart for $1 and another bunch for 50 cents.  We are bringing those in January.   

Have done Amazon river twice. As a retired teacher, I found best gifts for us to give were small box of crayons with blank notebook, pencils with sharpener and writing paper, blow up soccer balls. We visited a small village on the river. Took some extra supplies to the teacher. She was very grateful Enjoy your adventure.

• Like 2

We took a bunch of school supplies with us, but handed then in and officers from the ship took everything to the school.  I also took "scrunchies" for the little girls and other hair ornaments, and for the boys I had bought sheets of stickers and cut them up into just 3 or 4 stickers.  I was absolutely besieged by the children!  The other thing we were told was that we were allowed to give them dollar bills, so we took a lot of newer singles ashore with us.  In many cases, if you had your picture taken with an animal, bird or child, you were expected to give a dollar or so.  

• Like 1

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I have searched CC and can't find any information on the Aria Amazon River Ship?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Cruisan-Suzan what ship are you going to be on?  Others on this thread, I would love to hear more about your experiences.  

3 hours ago, Diveloonie said:

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I have searched CC and can't find any information on the Aria Amazon River Ship?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Cruisan-Suzan what ship are you going to be on?  Others on this thread, I would love to hear more about your experiences.  

Volendam on Nov 19 out of Ft Lauderdale!     And thanks everyone for all the suggestions 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:47 PM, Crusin-Suzan said:

We are doing the Amazon river next month!  I heard the children in these towns really love when they are brought treats!   Any suggestions?   I was going to bring my left over Halloween candy!   But will go to dollar store to pick up other things!

dollars but no candy You will have a wonderful time. You can also bring colored pencils and journals/ notebooks  for them. 

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I was absolutely besieged by the children!  

Yes!  As well as adults.  One is left alone until the good people realize that you have some gifts to distribute.  Have lots of dollar bills because a dollar is expected if you take their photo--particularly if they are holding an animal.  I took a few items, mostly school supplies.  It is an interesting travel experience is this situation.  The people--whatever their motivation/need may be, however--were welcoming and kind.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes!  As well as adults.  One is left alone until the good people realize that you have some gifts to distribute.  Have lots of dollar bills because a dollar is expected if you take their photo--particularly if they are holding an animal.  I took a few items, mostly school supplies.  It is an interesting travel experience is this situation.  The people--whatever their motivation/need may be, however--were welcoming and kind.  

My BIL found the solution in Cusco.  He looked over the group of clamoring children and picked out one nice looking young man of about 11 and we “hired” him for the day.   The rest of the day we were “his Americans” and he kept our path cleared.  He led us about and gave us a great tour, hired the local guides in the temples, offered his advice on restaurants and at our insistence, met his family. His mother assured is it was ok for him to earn a few dollars like this on school breaks.   It was a wonderful experience.  So the next time you are besieged just reach out and hire an industrious young person.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It was a wonderful experience.  So the next time you are besieged just reach out and hire an industrious young person.  

I do remember, thanks to your post, of a young person who wanted to be my guide.  I declined.  Not a bad idea, I think, for those who visit Boca Da Valeria.  

In 2000 we visited  Boca de Valeria on the old Royal Princess.  At the time I owned a dollar-type store in my small town so had ready access to small toys and cosmetics.  I took several packs of plastic animals and separated them to give to more kids.  I also took lipstick and nail pollish for the ladies who invited me to see the inside of their houses.  That was a hit with the ladies. I think I also donated some school supplies to the school.  It all went really well until the part where I was handing out the toys and some of the kids got a little over excited and started pushing me.   

Edited by Red Haired Lady

22 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

It all went really well until the part where I was handing out the toys and some of the kids got a little over excited and started pushing me.   

I understand what you experienced.  I wasn't "pushed", but, I was mobbed.  And, when my goody bag was empty, I had a bit of a time before the folks understood that "Santa"s bag" was empty.  I never felt threatened.  All that I felt was appreciation.  Mine was a very good experience.