Currency needed in Australia & New Zealand

2 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Further to that above, all our notes are plastic, different colours, and all different sizes, and all of them larger the the US green back..

Just to make it difficult for our American friends.🤣

No it is to make it easy.  All one size US is to make it difficult.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I don't know about the US, but in Australia you can use your credit card for just about everything, even small purchases, and ATM's abound.

Regards

And to add to this, quite a few shops don't accept cash now and only accept card payment. 

22 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

And to add to this, quite a few shops don't accept cash now and only accept card payment. 

Actually I do wonder sometimes, if the younger generation even know what cash is.......😁

Thank you so much to everyone who shared their thoughts. Four of us are traveling together and looking forward to our time in both countries. My sister lived in Australia for two years (I think it was in Corrimal) in the 1970's and she taught elementary school. During breaks from school, she traveled extensively throughout Australia, New Zealand, and many places in the region. She is very excited that I will get a glimpse of the beauty of Australia and New Zealand, and, of course, experience the hospitality of people we meet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Why you need cash in Australia.  Today's shopping experemce.  Visited Harris Park, Parramatta.  First shop minimum with card was $10 (coffee and baklava cost $5).  Indian vegetable curry cost $6 cash only no card.  Very popular Indian street food. 

Wow! That's value!

On the rare occasion we go to "markets", there maybe a conversation as to whether either of us has cash. Otherwise our lives are totally cashless......and we live in a small country town.....and don't buy newspapers!

4 minutes ago, Galesa said:

Wow! That's value!

On the rare occasion we go to "markets", there maybe a conversation as to whether either of us has cash. Otherwise our lives are totally cashless......and we live in a small country town.....and don't buy newspapers!

One market stall I shop at has a sign "We prefer cash, otherwise soon there will be no cash".  I haven't seen a sign "credit cards only" at markets I attend.  I just attended a two day Dwali Festival, where cash was accepted at all food stalls.  However, I know younger people use credit cards for everything.  

2 hours ago, Galesa said:

Wow! That's value!

I usually buy a newspaper if I have a doctor appointment. I arrive on time but can often wait an hour. There is a newsagent next door to the surgery so I buy a paper and do the crosswords and puzzles. Before COVID the surgery had a stack of old National Geographics available, which I love reading. A few times I'd be reading an interesting article when I got called in and finish reading it after consultation. I wonder when the NGs will be back. Oops, gone a bit OT.

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2022 at 12:30 AM, Aussieflyer said:

Is there usually a credit card surcharge to use credit cards at markets, taxi, restaurants, convenience stores?  In my hotel booking, there is fine print indicating there is a 2% surcharge for paying with credit card.  I am also trying to decide how much cash I should get at ATM at the Sydney airport.  Will be staying in Sydney for one day pre-cruise. 

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Is there usually a credit card surcharge to use credit cards at markets, taxi, restaurants, convenience stores?  In my hotel booking, there is fine print indicating there is a 2% surcharge for paying with credit card.  I am also trying to decide how much cash I should get at ATM at the Sydney airport.  Will be staying in Sydney for one day pre-cruise. 

Small Credit card surcharges are not common but becoming more common.  I get a small amount of cash for all countries I visit.  Depends on what you plan to do during your one day in Sydney.  You can usually use your credit card for most purchases.  

10 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Hotels are notorious for that 🙄 CC surcharge. Some upmarket restaurants may charge that as well, but it's not something you'd often find in shops.

Not sure about taxis. I use debit cards or cash.

In the end, it's a minimal amount. 

As for taking out cash at the airport, make sure it is from a BANK ATM,  and not some other trader.

And remember that always paying credit card bills in LOCAL currency and not your home currency "for your convenience ".

As in 'do you want to pay in Australian or US $'? When you are in Australia, you want to pay in AUD in that case. 

Edited by buchhalm
Added information

Went into a dollar store the other day wanted some stakes for tomatoe plants, $2 looked good till we saw a 50c surcharge on purchases under $5, neither of us had any cash, so it will have to wait, and when I do get them it will be somewhere else.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Went into a dollar store the other day wanted some stakes for tomatoe plants, $2 looked good till we saw a 50c surcharge on purchases under $5, neither of us had any cash, so it will have to wait, and when I do get them it will be somewhere else.

Seriously?! Tell them to get stuffed. Eftpos cost is next to nothing. 

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Cash is King mate. I always have a couple of hundred 💵 on me plus my debit card.

• Thanks 1

I have been home in NZ for a month - I still have no cash in my wallet - there is no need for any.  I stopped using A$ cash  some years back - literally outside of a local stall selling at a farmer's market you don't need cash 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Do you know if there is a BANK ATM at the Sydney Int'l airport, arrival level?   TIA.

There wasn't when I checked pre-Covid - and/or  even the bank ATMS wanted like $8 for an ATM withdraw - that's when  I discovered I didn't need any A$ cash on me. 

On 10/21/2022 at 2:54 AM, Hogbay said:

Tipping is not customary as Australian are payed a wage and on weekends / public holidays a 15 % fee will be included in price as are taxes . Nearly all merchants have " tap and go " either visa or mastercard and pay by phone also . American Express , Diners card are not widely accepted and if they are have highest fees . How much Au or NZ dollars you need depends on tap water or champagne taste . ATM will only have the local currency . Spend away and enjoy .

Actually Diners is readily accepted at the largest retailers in Australia without any surcharges (Coles, Woolworths, Target, Kmart, Bunnings, Myers, David Jones etc) and big chain / international hotels.

I use mine everyday (especially with unlimited frequent flyer points, lounge access and other perks.

However, most smaller retailers won't accept Diners as with their turnover, they can't negotiate a good deal with the provider.

15 minutes ago, lissie said:

I have been home in NZ for a month - I still have no cash in my wallet - there is no need for any.  I stopped using A$ cash  some years back - literally outside of a local stall selling at a farmer's market you don't need cash 

Wouldn't you use NZ dollars?

Just found a reason I need cash.

Staying in a cabin in a caravan park and the clothes dryer needs coins.

Not the washing machine mind you. That had a qr code which linked to google pay. Still with me everyone? Lol. 

So clothes went on the  line....whatever that means 🙂

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, MMDown Under said:

Why you need cash in Australia.  Today's shopping experemce.  Visited Harris Park, Parramatta.  First shop minimum with card was $10 (coffee and baklava cost $5).  Indian vegetable curry cost $6 cash only no card.  Very popular Indian street food. 

That's interesting as I have seen a lot of shops with 'card only' signs and they don't accept cash payments (even things like sushi etc). 

5 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Do you know if there is a BANK ATM at the Sydney Int'l airport, arrival level?   TIA.

I called A friend who works at the international airport. He confirms that there are currently NO bank owned ATM at the international airport. 

However, all modes of transport to the city accept credit cards.

In the city there are plenty of ATM if you need some cash AUD