Will I make a 2pm flight departure if I disembark in San Diego the morning of?

boomie

What day of the week? Yes car rental is an option and maybe the best one. Which airline and what is your final destination? You are driving past three major airports to get to LAX, which is an awful airport.

I assume there is a reason you are not using SAN, but what about SNA and LGB?

• Like 1

Wow...this will be a fun day. 

First, taking a train from San Diego station to the LA Union Station, then getting from there to LAX is one option. Take a look at the Surfliner (the train line that runs San Diego to LA...the station is about 4 or 5 blocks from the pier)schedules...that might work. I don't know the current best way to get from the train station to LAX.

The other way would be renting a car. So getting over to San Diego airport car rental facility, and driving up 5 and 405. 405 can be a problem any day of the week, any time. 

Yes, I think you can make it. But what a complex hassle. I would rent the car.

The train north is disrupted due to some cliffs collapsing recently - they have a bus service completing that portion of the route, but will cause delays. https://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train 

I got off the wonder in San Diego last month and it was a nightmare - low communication, long lines and mass lines. We were hours later than we expected, but the ship arrived basically on time. I wouldn't hold much hope for getting to LAX by noon, unless you have a hired car waiting for you at the port. I live in San Diego, FYSA. 

2 hours ago, boomie said:

Hi. Thanks for all the replies. YYZ is home. And LAX is about 1/3 of the price. Flight is a Thursday. 

One-way car rentals are considerably more expensive than single pickup/drop-off ones. Just saying.

ETA: also this is an international flight "Passengers should arrive at LAX two hours before a domestic flight departure and three hours before an international flight departure." So that would be 11am Pacific. 

Can you change your flight?

Edited by crystalspin

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

At a quick glance I am seeing roughly $350 LAX - YYZ, $560 SAN - YYZ.

So, just off the top of my head, the car rental idea is probably going to add $100 or more to this plan. Not sure that is enough savings to go through this hassle.

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with CruiserBruce although if there are two or more travellers,  it may need a wee bit more thinking if the car can be rented for 125 CAD or less.

I note the travel is on a Thursday.  I looked at Air Canada flights for March 23 (the date does matter) and SAN to YYZ is about 500 CAD, LAX to YYZ is 250 CAD.  Also, you can get a flight out of LAX later in the afternoon to allow time for the drive.

I wouldn't take the train.

On 10/28/2022 at 4:44 AM, d9704011 said:

I note the travel is on a Thursday.  I looked at Air Canada flights for March 23 (the date does matter) and SAN to YYZ is about 500 CAD, LAX to YYZ is 250 CAD.  

We have, as you have, flying out of SAN is expensive and fewer options.  If the one way rental is $50 then I would do that.  One way rentals between those two places are usually cheap as they have a lot of cars to get back and forth.  Plus, I like being in control.  That being said, driving between San Diego and LAX can always be a crap shoot.  I hate taking I-5 as there's a "no mans land" between Oceanside and San Clemente where if something happens you have no alternate route.  We have taken four hours on that part to go less than 20 miles.  Make sure to have a good GPS route app.  When we leave San Diego to head north we take I-15 as there's plenty of alternate routes if something happens.  That might be out of your way, but good to keep in mind.    

• Like 1

Hi.  I'm looking at a SAN flight at 11:10am (on a Tuesday morning), debarking the Diamond Princess.  Can I reasonably make that flight?  It's a non-stop to SLC, but I'm worried about getting off the ship (rolling off our own luggage), then Ubering to the airport in time.  Scheduled ship arrival is 7am.  What kind of delays are typical?

I haven't sailed out of San Diego in 3-4 years (thanks Covid...).  So thanks, cruisers, if you can share some recent experiences.

3 hours ago, Mary Ellen1 said:

Hi.  I'm looking at a SAN flight at 11:10am (on a Tuesday morning), debarking the Diamond Princess.  Can I reasonably make that flight?  It's a non-stop to SLC, but I'm worried about getting off the ship (rolling off our own luggage), then Ubering to the airport in time.  Scheduled ship arrival is 7am.  What kind of delays are typical?

I haven't sailed out of San Diego in 3-4 years (thanks Covid...).  So thanks, cruisers, if you can share some recent experiences.

Yes, you can make that flight.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mary Ellen1 said:

worried about getting off the ship (rolling off our own luggage), then Ubering to the airport in time.  Scheduled ship arrival is 7am. 

You could get off the ship and WALK to the airport and still make an 11:00AM flight.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, vjblk said:

If I have an 11 am flight out of SAN would I have to take my own luggage off?  Thanks,

The answer to your question is in the posts above. No, you won't need to carry off your luggage, but you should get off the ship as soon as possible.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The answer to your question is in the posts above. No, you won't need to carry off your luggage, but you should get off the ship as soon as possible.

Well the post above talked about a 11 am flight and rolling off their own luggage.  They were told they could make it. I wasn't sure if that meant that in order to make it that you had to take your own luggage off. Thanks anyway for your answer.

OP:  Think outside the box.  Forget driving to LAX to save money. Take a flight from SAN to any major connector (think Denver or SLC or MSP or Chicago).  Any layover in these airports will be less time and effort than driving to LAX.

• Like 4