Celebrity is allowing people to outbid your MoveUp offer

otownfins

7 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

So, if I read this correctly, according to you....If I bid on a cabin and I have no multiplier and a Zenith comes along and UNDER bids me, with their 5% they win the bid?

Like to know where this information came from please.

That's an over simplified explanation, but CC status does get an extra multiplier. 

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 8.44.05 AM.png

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

It may not. If there are high bids for the cabin you're currently in, your own bid to move up probably doesn't need to be has high.

Captain's Club % is simply a booster that would break ties.  MoveUp is about incrementail revenue.  Plain and simple.  It is not a conspiracy.

Agree totally on can upgrade on board if there are empty cabins.  That worked in April.  Won't today as ships are mostly 90%+ on my cruises.

Unhappy about submitting a losing bid?  Agree if one is notified of an overdid- all should be.  Highest offer gets the cabin then the shuffle begins.

There is also a psychological aspect to all this. We are booked in a Celebrity Suite on the Beyond. Received the upgrade notice and went on line to price out the other suites. Put the bids below $4000 /$14,000. After receiving this receipt below went back on line and saw that a Royal Suite was selling for $10,000 more than we paid for the Celebrity Suite. Though we had such a good deal on the Celebrity suite to begin with booking over a year ago, DW said if I was willing to shell out $14,000 for a shot at the Iconic Suite she would rather I shell out $10,000 on the Royal Suite and she would be happier. Who can argue with psychology ? So we booked the Royal Suite and cancelled the bids shown below.

IMG_2366.jpg

55 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Captain's Club % is simply a booster that would break ties.  MoveUp is about incrementail revenue.  Plain and simple.  It is not a conspiracy.

Agree totally on can upgrade on board if there are empty cabins.  That worked in April.  Won't today as ships are mostly 90%+ on my cruises.

Unhappy about submitting a losing bid?  Agree if one is notified of an overdid- all should be.  Highest offer gets the cabin then the shuffle begins.

I think you quoted the wrong person. My post mentions nothing about what you seemed to respond to.

Funny story. Today at 2:45 pm I got one of those “you have been outbid” emails, and suggesting that I up my bid. I did nothing. Thirty minutes later I got confirmation that I had won my bid for the edge villa. Just trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of me I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Congratulations! You’ll love the Edge Villa. 
Did you bid on other suites? If so did your bids go from pending to some showing as expired and only the Villa showing as pending without the ability to adjust or cancel the bid?

Here is a screenshot of what I noticed being sent to encourage others to increase their bids. I’m guessing if you adjusted your bid it would have taken you to a similar page. 

40FE902B-EE8B-437C-A5B6-D69DEF51D39D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, otownfins said:

Did you bid on other suites? If so did your bids go from pending to some showing as expired and only the Villa showing as pending without the ability to adjust or cancel the bid?

Here is a screenshot of what I noticed being sent to encourage others to increase their bids. I’m guessing if you adjusted your bid it would have taken you to a similar page. 

I didn’t actually see the first email about increasing my bid until after I received the second bid confirming that they accepted the move up offer. There was only about a 30 minutes gap between the first and second one. The edge villa is our favorite on the edge class. It’s funny that the bidding on both my upcoming cruises started higher for the villa than for the penthouse. Did you find that so on your move up offer?

1 hour ago, djh said:

Funny story. Today at 2:45 pm I got one of those “you have been outbid” emails, and suggesting that I up my bid. I did nothing. Thirty minutes later I got confirmation that I had won my bid for the edge villa. Just trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of me I guess.

What was your original cabin or suite?

2 hours ago, otownfins said:

Wow, it now shows a countdown timer!  My last bid was made in August for a late Oct sailing and I never saw any of that.  I bid from AQ to Skysuit and received an email that I didn't win a few days before the sailing.

Some more datapoints...Ran a test on my upcoming sailing, no extra info like bidding metrics therefore its probably only for certain ships and since @otownfins bid we can see it is on the Beyond.  May only be for certain ships, perhaps only the Beyond or all the E-Class ships.  Here's my sailing Solstice, bid AQ to Sky and bid again form AQ to RS...In both cases I bid, waited 5mins and refreshed the page.  No extra bidding metrics nor any "outbid" email after bidding the minimum (I checked spam).

image.thumb.png.13d91774286e6596ddd76d6ab4ac5fd1.png 

RS:

image.thumb.png.d8207d7e931e4fc07c719835cdda4ac2.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

On 10/29/2022 at 5:24 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

The system, the real issue and a solution.

When you bid in move up there are an undetermined number of cabins available.  Nobody knows exactly how many because there are always last minute cancelations.  You bid an amout you are willing to pay for an upgraded cabin.  Celebrity and the marketing company look at the numbers and set minimum bids.  Celebrity then declares winners at a time it chooses to the highest bidders.

Of course people get outbid.   Of course the highest bids get upgraded.

The rub for some is the notifications some are getting (apparently immediately or very soon after bidding) that they have been outbid.

How was the OP harmed?  His bid was not high enough to be a winner.  Is it better to know sooner rather than later?

An action would be best, but moving someone from Aqua to a suite opens an Aqua cabin for another move up.  Without an exact number of cabins available a pure auction won't work.

The only issue seems to be notifications of under bids.  Are all under bidders notified and given an opportunitytoraise their bid?  If not there is a fairness issue that is easily solved.

If people are upset about this then they should contact Celebrity and if not then let it go.

100% agree.

Just got off the Beyond 9 day  repo cruise.

Bid high on multiple suite levels and got no notifications .

My upgrade tracker was frozen and was notified 2 days prior to sailing that my bids were unsuccessful.

My CC status is elite.

Seems like there should be one standard for all bidders.

Edited by jmdlv1

15 minutes ago, boopuff said:

This is very interesting. Just some fun info.  I'm sailing my first cruise ever in December. I just got the bid email today.  I think my move up odds (C1 to Aqua) would be slim to none.  I have no status. 😞  LOL

Are there Aqua rooms available?

I'd say if a few are or becomes available, and you bid with something in the 'strong' range, you'll probably get it. If there are many available, you will get it with even a low bid. If it's sold out, there's still a fair chance if you have a strong bid as there are always cancellations.

I just won a MoveUp from Porthole Verandah to Sky Suite S2, with only a couple sky suites left.

23 hours ago, djh said:

I didn’t actually see the first email about increasing my bid until after I received the second bid confirming that they accepted the move up offer. There was only about a 30 minutes gap between the first and second one. The edge villa is our favorite on the edge class. It’s funny that the bidding on both my upcoming cruises started higher for the villa than for the penthouse. Did you find that so on your move up offer?

Yes. The bid range for Edge Villa was $4K - $7k whereas the Penthouse $2K-$5K. I think when we originally were notified about MoveUp there were 2 Villas and 2 Penthouses available so it didn’t have to do with availability. 
Strange since the price to book the Penthouse through Celebrity was almost double the price of the Penthouse. 
We stayed in a Villa on Apex last year. We agree with you it’s the best suite we have stayed in (so far since we haven’t been in any other upper E class suites).

20 hours ago, Caligirl33 said:

Where are you going to see your bid and how many others are bidding? We just placed a bid for this coming Saturday 

If you go to the MoveUp website on your computer (not mobile website), you should be able to click on "Offer Received", then on the next page where you see your offer, click on "Modify".

If the new page is available, you should now see if you're the highest bidder, how many people are bidding, and when bidding closes.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, behtyas said:

If you go to the MoveUp website on your computer (not mobile website), you should be able to click on "Offer Received", then on the next page where you see your offer, click on "Modify".

If the new page is available, you should now see if you're the highest bidder, how many people are bidding, and when bidding closes.

I do not have any open bids, but I will have to check it out.  You are referencing Celebrity, correct?

8 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Plusgrade

I bet if you are from Quebec you will probably always win an upgrade 😉😁

8 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Plusgrade

I bet if you are from Quebec you will probably always win an upgrade 😉😁

So can you explain your comment to this ex-Ontarian/ex-Albertan?