Taxi from Syndey Airport to Cruise Port - How Much

24 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Full moon on Tuesday, actually it’s a blood moon.

Princess cruisers are getting into a fever about the medallion and just about anything else including taxi fares.

😂

The OP did ask about taxi prices, so I wonder what the debate is all about. 

With not much luggage on hand, I would take Supershuttle from the airport to Holiday Inn, then a short walk to catch a train from Mascot to CQ minus the gate charges ($12.65pp off-peak, $13.79pp peak) - but that wasn't the question.

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

The OP did ask about taxi prices, so I wonder what the debate is all about. 

With not much luggage on hand, I would take Supershuttle from the airport to Holiday Inn, then a short walk to catch a train from Mascot to CQ minus the gate charges ($12.65pp off-peak, $13.79pp peak) - but that wasn't the question.

THAT is sneaky! I like it.

Or so I thought until I read the barrage of 1- Star reviews of this company.

And it's $10 per person anyway. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_20221106-065258_Drive.jpg

4 hours ago, buchhalm said:

THAT is sneaky! I like it.

Or so I thought until I read the barrage of 1- Star reviews of this company.

And it's $10 per person anyway. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_20221106-065258_Drive.jpg

I have used them between the airport hotels and both domestic & international terminals close to 20 times, and never an issue. It is usually in the opposite direction for a hotel stay before flying overseas, and Holiday Inn being so close to Mascot station. I have done the sneaky a couple of times of times too, as I think the gate charges at the airport are obscene.

I don't know if something has changed recently, as I know shuttle companies were having trouble finding staff post-covid. Their timetable used to also be every 20 minutes back then, times have changed. I haven't used them since 2019.

And yes, the $10pp was included in my numbers when combining with the train. It was even nicer back when it was $7.

36 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I have used them between the airport hotels and both domestic & international terminals close to 20 times, and never an issue. It is usually in the opposite direction for a hotel stay before flying overseas, and Holiday Inn being so close to Mascot station. I have done the sneaky a couple of times of times too, as I think the gate charges at the airport are obscene.

I don't know if something has changed recently, as I know shuttle companies were having trouble finding staff post-covid. Their timetable used to also be every 20 minutes back then, times have changed. I haven't used them since 2019.

And yes, the $10pp was included in my numbers when combining with the train. It was even nicer back when it was $7.

I have never had to stay near the airport but the way traffic is in Sydney,I would definitely stay the night if I had a flight before 9:am. 
But the airport surcharge is only $16 and you blokes are saying the airport hotel shuttle is $10.

I think for a extra $8. ,I would rather stay near central, have good night in Chinatown and catch the train to the airport .

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I have never had to stay near the airport but the way traffic is in Sydney,I would definitely stay the night if I had a flight before 9:am. 
But the airport surcharge is only $16 and you blokes are saying the airport hotel shuttle is $10.

I think for a extra $8. ,I would rather stay near central, have good night in Chinatown and catch the train to the airport .

Even more so from country NSW following over 3hrs of trains. We have even done it for late PM flights and paid for a late check-out to match. We aren't interested in anything more than the lobby bar, a local cafe or room service, and just chilling to hopefully get enough rest so that we feel semi-normal when we line up for customs at the other end of the flight. It isn't just about the $6 each, but maximum ease on flight day - roll bags to the kerb at the hotel, short ride in mini-bus, collect bags from kerb at airport.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Even more so from country NSW following over 3hrs of trains. We have even done it for late PM flights and paid for a late check-out to match. We aren't interested in anything more than the lobby bar, a local cafe or room service, and just chilling to hopefully get enough rest so that we feel semi-normal when we line up for customs at the other end of the flight. It isn't just about the $6 each, but maximum ease on flight day - roll bags to the kerb at the hotel, short ride in mini-bus, collect bags from kerb at airport.

We sometimes stay at an airport hotel when we do an evening flight from Port Mac to Sydney after work for a cruise the next day, usually Ibis (not the budget one) or Pullman is next door but usually too expensive.

Great shopping centre nearby for alcohol/dinner and we walk to Mascot train station in the morning for the ride to Circ Quay.

We can't justify the Sydney prices for a night, if we don't have a full day before to enjoy Sydney.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, possum52 said:

We used to take the train from /to the airport and to/from Circular Quay but it is getting harder as we age to pull/wheel our luggage and lift it onto the train. I think it depends on your age and health and fitness whether it is better to get a taxi or take the train. We now will take a taxi.

For those who don't know, the Train provides station hands to put a ramp for you to pull luggage on to train, over the gap.  They phone ahead to Central Station to have a ramp waiting there, then, in my case, they had a ramp at Parramatta Railway Station. Makes travelling with luggage easy, even for a senior woman like me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

For those who don't know, the Train provides station hands to put a ramp for you to pull luggage on to train, over the gap.  They phone ahead to Central Station to have a ramp waiting there, then, in my case, they had a ramp at Parramatta Railway Station. Makes travelling with luggage easy, even for a senior woman like me. 

This is available at Circular Quay too, but only on one platform. I can't remember which side, but I think you need to come via St James. Check with transport NSW to make sure.

14 hours ago, arxcards said:

This is available at Circular Quay too, but only on one platform. I can't remember which side, but I think you need to come via St James. Check with transport NSW to make sure.

The station hands make sure you are on the right train.  I was fortunate that my train from Parramatta arrived at the same platform as the Circle train which goes to all city stops, including circular quay, then continues to Domestic and International Airports.  Wheeled luggage has made all the difference.  I couldn't carry luggage.  I have a small backpack for hand luggage and a purse which goes over my neck to keep my hands free.  I hope for more independent travel.

On the wider subject of connections from home to the cruise terminal, we are Canberrans cruising with Cunard in January (Sydney-Sydney).  After looking at every scenario:  train/bus the day before with a hotel in Sydney then a taxi to terminal, flying to Sydney the day before, hotel and taxi again necessary, and train/bus on embarkation day.  Latter is out, because years ago we vowed to never arrive in any city the day of embarkation relying on others to get us there, after a hold-up left us with the very real possibility of "missing the boat".  We eventually decided this time, after doing some research, to drive our own car to Sydney on embarkation day (3 hr drive from Canberra and QE departs at 6-8pm, can't remember which).  A company we found on the internet, and investigated, will meet us at the cruise terminal, take and deliver our luggage to the relevant Cunard personnel, then take our keys and store our car at their nearby depot for the 3-week duration of the cruise.  They will meet us at the terminal at a pre-arranged time (and confirmed with a phone call from us) on disembarkation day, and deliver our car.  For an extra charge, they will also wash and vacuum the car before delivery.  We don't need that option, as it will require cleaning when we return home after the drive from Sydney.  They quote a daily rate on the internet, but we negotiated a flat rate for the three weeks.  When compared to all other scenarios, it works out to be the most economical, and we are using our own car there and back.  I'm aware I can't name them on CC, but an internet search should reveal the particular company if anyone is interested.

14 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

On the wider subject of connections from home to the cruise terminal, we are Canberrans cruising with Cunard in January (Sydney-Sydney).  After looking at every scenario:  train/bus the day before with a hotel in Sydney then a taxi to terminal, flying to Sydney the day before, hotel and taxi again necessary, and train/bus on embarkation day.  Latter is out, because years ago we vowed to never arrive in any city the day of embarkation relying on others to get us there, after a hold-up left us with the very real possibility of "missing the boat".  We eventually decided this time, after doing some research, to drive our own car to Sydney on embarkation day (3 hr drive from Canberra and QE departs at 6-8pm, can't remember which).  A company we found on the internet, and investigated, will meet us at the cruise terminal, take and deliver our luggage to the relevant Cunard personnel, then take our keys and store our car at their nearby depot for the 3-week duration of the cruise.  They will meet us at the terminal at a pre-arranged time (and confirmed with a phone call from us) on disembarkation day, and deliver our car.  For an extra charge, they will also wash and vacuum the car before delivery.  We don't need that option, as it will require cleaning when we return home after the drive from Sydney.  They quote a daily rate on the internet, but we negotiated a flat rate for the three weeks.  When compared to all other scenarios, it works out to be the most economical, and we are using our own car there and back.  I'm aware I can't name them on CC, but an internet search should reveal the particular company if anyone is interested.

Wow well done.  Can't beat your own car, then storage!  If there are traffic delays, you can always leave extra early as it is not a long drive  

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Wow well done.  Can't beat your own car, then storage!  If there are traffic delays, you can always leave extra early as it is not a long drive  

I say that because we had to detour off the main highway from Brisbane to Sydney three times, due to bad car accidents on the highway, but we still were able to drive from GC to Sydney in one day!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Unless they sell travel, it is fine to mention them here.

Where is the drop-off point at the terminal? It seems to be very restricted for private car drop-off.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, Cbtours said:

Yes that’s his name! Yes he’s hilarious. 

BTW did you get your FCD sorted out in June?

Yes Irene, thank again - I get the FCDs over the phone and applied to the cruise that is sailing in three days. Hooray!

I'll have to admit this is the first time I successfully *used* a FCD - last ones were on the cancelled cruises during the pandemic

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eamondzhang said:

Yes Irene, thank again - I get the FCDs over the phone and applied to the cruise that is sailing in three days. Hooray!

I'll have to admit this is the first time I successfully *used* a FCD - last ones were on the cancelled cruises during the pandemic

Cheers

Michael

Enjoy your cruise 🥳

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

Where is the drop-off point at the terminal? It seems to be very restricted for private car drop-off.

Drop   off for private cars is right out front of the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

Thanks, I remember now it only relates to travel agents.  The company is Cruise Control Australia, and we won't be parking, simply dropping off the luggage and car to Cruise Control's staff.  It is indeed, as gbenjo writes above, right at the terminal.

14 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks, I remember now it only relates to travel agents.  The company is Cruise Control Australia, and we won't be parking, simply dropping off the luggage and car to Cruise Control's staff.  It is indeed, as gbenjo writes above, right at the terminal.

Well done! I would NEVER have thought of looking for such an option.

It looks around $28 per day for this?

15 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Well done! I would NEVER have thought of looking for such an option.

It looks around $28 per day for this?

Yes, but we negotiated (or DH did) a flat rate of $450 for the 3 weeks.  I forgot to mention that they also turn your car engine over for 15 mins once a week for the duration.

48 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, but we negotiated (or DH did) a flat rate of $450 for the 3 weeks.  I forgot to mention that they also turn your car engine over for 15 mins once a week for the duration.

Cool. 

I'd note down my mileage before the handover. Not that they use the car as an uber for 3 weeks 

😉

• Haha 1