For those who are considering other cruise lines.

Wishing on a star

I know that there has been a lot of talk here about the issues with Princess.

And, some have looked at cruising with Virgin.  Maybe because they like the thought of a more kid-free adult experience.

I too have looked into Virgin Voyages a bit.    And here, I think, is one video that shows more of what it can be like on onboard than some others so far.

When I first heard about Virgin, I loved the thought of an all adult cruise and one with a different 'vibe'.

This video shows some good Ideas that Princess could maybe use, like in The Dome on the new ship.  And, on 80's cruises. etc...

But, there is too much there that I, personally, am hoping to avoid.

One, yes ONE, tiny pool for the entire ship.

The entertainment choices..

And, this video doesn't hit on the dining options.  the lack of the usual options onboard.   Etc.

All are very different than what many Princess cruisers are used to, or might be looking for.

I think I might go to South Beach Miami, or LA for that kind of thing.

Not a cruise to see Europe.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rks1Y4ZpIVs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

And, some have looked at cruising with Virgin.  Maybe because they like the thought of a more kid-free adult experience.

I too have looked into Virgin Voyages a bit.    And here, I think, is one video that shows more of what it can be like on onboard than some others so far.

When I first heard about Virgin, I loved the thought of an all adult cruise and one with a different 'vibe'.

This video shows some good Ideas that Princess could maybe use, like in The Dome on the new ship.  And, on 80's cruises. etc...

And, this video doesn't hit on the dining options.  the lack of the usual options onboard.   Etc.

All are very different than what many Princess cruisers are used to, or might be looking for.

Thank you.  Definitely not my cup of tea!

• Like 2

We have cruised with a few other companies. For us Princess has the needed balance of all the things we enjoy on a cruise. Unless some amazing offer falls in our laps from another company, I don't think we'll look elsewhere again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The nearest other line to Princess is P&O UK, many similar design ships e.g. newest built Grand Class ship but they do have a range of Adult-only ships as well as family friendly ships.  There is now a website for North American people and I am not sure if that works in US$ but on board it is the pound.

Regards John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Looks like an adults only version of Carnival. Interesting that many of the activities seems like they are for adults to act like children.

I guess I am too much of an adult for Virgin! 🤪

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 4

So why is it necessary to criticize Virgin on a Princess forum?  I have a couple of bookings on HAL.  Will I see an unflattering video of that on this board, too?  How about an unfavorable video of the Mouse line?  Since there are more than a dozen alternative cruise lines available, can we look forward to "anti" videos of those, too?  Is there perhaps some personal grudge hidden under all this Virgin hate?  It's not a crime to dislike Princess.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Kay S said:

So why is it necessary to criticize Virgin on a Princess forum? 

Given the negative Princess posts regarding their (often real) issues and frequent comparison to other lines on these boards, it's reasonable to pot a positive comparison, no?  There's a multi-page post putting Virgin in a positive light over Princess, it is OK with you if someone posts an opposite opinion?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, txjim09 said:

Given the negative Princess posts regarding their (often real) issues and frequent comparison to other lines on these boards, it's reasonable to pot a positive comparison, no?  There's a multi-page post putting Virgin in a positive light over Princess, it is OK with you if someone posts an opposite opinion?

I guess to make it truly balanced, someone needs to do a thread on the Virgin board praising Princess.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

I guess to make it truly balanced, someone needs to do a thread on the Virgin board praising Princess.  

Let's see, 1 positive Virgin thread on the princess board and one negative Virgin thread on the princess board.  It appears we have equilibrium!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, txjim09 said:

Let's see, 1 positive Virgin thread on the princess board and one negative Virgin thread on the princess board.  It appears we have equilibrium!

I haven't checked the Virgin board.  Anyone over there promising to switch to Princess?  This really is a silly conversation, isn't it?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

I haven't checked the Virgin board.  Anyone over there promising to switch to Princess?  This really is a silly conversation, isn't it?

It's not my day to monitor the Virgin board, thought you had Sundays🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, john watson said:

The nearest other line to Princess is P&O UK, many similar design ships e.g. newest built Grand Class ship but they do have a range of Adult-only ships as well as family friendly ships.  There is now a website for North American people and I am not sure if that works in US$ but on board it is the pound.

Regards John

John - what is an "Adult-only ship"?  Thought children were allowed on all ships.  Except for Alaska and hidays have found few children on most cruises.

4 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

John - what is an "Adult-only ship"?  Thought children were allowed on all ships.  Except for Alaska and hidays have found few children on most cruises.

I agree. I didn't know Princess had adult only ships. That's a new one on me. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The UK (where John is from) has different laws about this.

No...  No honest and open conversation is silly.   No 'questions' are silly.

Yes, there are some opinions thrown in here.

As mentioned, there are posters here who are putting Princess down while proclaiming their switch to this other cruise line.

In light of that, I posted this to share information.

It can be helpful to shed some light and put this kind of info and video out there.

Do I want to try Virgin...  No.

That is my personal thing.

Not why I would spend the $$$$$ and fly halfway around the world to visit Europe.

I could go looking for that experience here in the US, or Cancun.

If others do want that kind of vibe and very different  cruise experience, then, hey, whatever floats your boat!

An informed decision is always best.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

John - what is an "Adult-only ship"?  Thought children were allowed on all ships.  Except for Alaska and holidays have found few children on most cruises.

The original poster was suggesting that where people had become dissatisfied with Princess what other lines could they consider.  My suggestion was P&O UK Cruises, they have not been marketed in North America until recently but cover the Caribbean as well as Europe and also run an annual world cruise.  They have approximately seven ships some of the Grand Class design similar to Ruby Princess 2008 Azura was built in 2010.  They mainly offer family friendly cruises but two of their ships Aurora and Arcadia are designated "Adult Only" which means everyone is 18 years or older. I think the entertainment is not X rated or anything they simply offer a child free environment. Recently they started a North American website with cruises priced in US Dollars to expand their customer base.

Regards John

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

I agree. I didn't know Princess had adult only ships. That's a new one on me. 

The "Adult Only" ships I was referring to are from the fleet of P&O UK cruise line;  Aurora and Arcadia.  Arcadia is of a design similar to Holland America Line's "Vista Class" and typically does the world cruise.  The term adult only means they will only accept bookings from passengers aged 18 years or older.  The alcohol drinking age is also 18 years but being British people tend to be used to drinking and able to drink more but remain fairly sober.  They are not a party cruise whoop it up environment.

Regards John

• Haha 2

Glad to read about so many "ex" Princess cruisers experiences on other lines.  It will be quite interesting.  Would also be happy if they stopped posting negatively about Princess now that they are converting to greener pastures.  I can read their positive comments on their new line's boards, right?

We tried Virgin.  It was.....interesting!

Maybe Viking or another alternative?

But they seem to keep posting on the Princess boards???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

We tried Virgin.  It was.....interesting!

Maybe Viking or another alternative?

But they seem to keep posting on the Princess boards???

The one poster you seem to have in mind hasn't been here in awhile.  I think he's too busy having fun elsewhere.

Is Cruise Critic a place for open discussion or is it only for singing the praises of a given line?