FYI. Arriving at San Diego Cruise port important information

lais

13 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

If you are 4* let the staff know.  It’s a challenge for them to see the 4* designation on the boarding pass.  Most are aware of the 4* status, some may not be.  Arrive at your boarding time and you should have an easy boarding process.  After you check in and are told to sit in a particular area, ask if the ship has begun boarding.  If it has, you can proceed to board because you are 4* or above.  Priority boarding seems to mean nothing in my recent experience.  A lot of cruisers will probably be 4*.

This early boarding also applies to those traveling with a 4* or 5* Mariner member. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 4:48 PM, lais said:

Also, if your are 5 star, 4 star, Pinnacle suite or Orange club then you have front of the line privileges so you can show up anytime after the port opens at  10:30 or so. .  

Not true for San Diego.  Nobody gets privaledges.  I am 4 star and Orange and you don’t get early check in.  Even Accessibility does not get early privaleges.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, liketraveling said:

Not true for San Diego.  Nobody gets privaledges.  I am 4 star and Orange and you don’t get early check in.  Even Accessibility does not get early privaleges.

I boarded in SD two weeks ago and was allowed to come in earlier than my assigned time when they saw I was 5*, so it is allowed.

10 hours ago, liketraveling said:

You have to tell the staff that you are 4*. or above.  The PRIORITY boarding printed on your boarding pass doesn’t mean anything to them.  You shouldn’t expect early check in but you should expect to be admitted to the building if you arrive at your boarding time.  HAL has made an effort to have rooms available at embarkation to reduce crowding in the Lido.  Do not expect lunch in the dining room.  People on this board who talk about arriving early because they are higher priority star status mess up the boarding process for everybody.  

59 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I boarded in SD two weeks ago and was allowed to come in earlier than my assigned time when they saw I was 5*, so it is allowed.

It may depend on which staff member you meet at the entry point.  If everyone came at their assigned time it would make the process so much smoother!

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You do know thee person you quoted works at the port.  I would hope she would be correct.

I am aware the person I quoted works at the port.  On Thursday the port was one screwed up mess. I kept trying to show people my boarding pass and nobody wanted to see it.  My dad asked about assessibility accomations and he was told he had to go through the line.  What I saw on Thursday was criminal.  Many people with canes standing in line for hours.  There diffinately violations of the Americans with Disability Act.  There were no accomadations made when I was there.  Saw many people standing in line with canes.  

1 minute ago, liketraveling said:

I am aware the person I quoted works at the port.  On Thursday the port was one screwed up mess. I kept trying to show people my boarding pass and nobody wanted to see it.  My dad asked about assessibility accomations and he was told he had to go through the line.  What I saw on Thursday was criminal.  Many people with canes standing in line for hours.  There diffinately violations of the Americans with Disability Act.  There were no accomadations made when I was there.  Saw many people standing in line with canes.  

Not to excuse the  port because they seem to have problems with accepting responsibility but it seems like hal screwed up royalty on boarding times.  Seems like a lot of people are a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket lately. 

9 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Not to excuse the  port because they seem to have problems with accepting responsibility but it seems like hal screwed up royalty on boarding times.  Seems like a lot of people are a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket lately. 

Hal screwed up and the port screwed up. It was a complete disconnect between the two.  

On a positive night note.  The crew are great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Good morning,

I live here in San Diego

and am wondering isn’t 

there a section outside the port which has a line for Neptune/4 and 5 star

to proceed through? Has been in the past. I do agree it looks like a zoo.

Back early October heading to airport for us to go to Maui we drove by and it was a mess.

we never have had problems boarding as 5 star or in Neptune suites

in the past!

Have a great day

🌺Denise

4 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Good morning,

I live here in San Diego

and am wondering isn’t 

Back early October heading to airport for us to go to Maui we drove by and it was a mess.

in the past!

Have a great day

🌺Denise

I don't recall seeing that line but I wouldn't swear to it.

• Thanks 1

Hi,sorry I asked this on another post but this seems the proper one. We are flying to San Diego in January on flight ease then have a Hal shuttle to the port. I have a mobility issue and need to sit until our turn. I am getting more concerned that there won’t be seating anywhere. Don’t mind waiting but do need seating…thank you

4 hours ago, Chickadee910 said:

Hi,sorry I asked this on another post but this seems the proper one. We are flying to San Diego in January on flight ease then have a Hal shuttle to the port. I have a mobility issue and need to sit until our turn. I am getting more concerned that there won’t be seating anywhere. Don’t mind waiting but do need seating…thank you

Here is my video of a check in from a year ago - some changes - but there is seating outside along the building.   Not sure if you can get to this place if you are early for your check-in.   @DAllenTCY probably has more insight as to what's available for your situation.  There are several nice restaurants close to the terminal. but if you are arriving on the HAL shuttle, I suspect you will get sent into the terminal right away.   

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

We arrived via HAL shuttle and we’re able to go into the terminal.  Hubby told staff that we didn’t have a red ticket (we were about 2 hours early) but we were told to go on in.  

We were so early that they didn’t even have a sign for our boarding group!  I spoke to a number of staff but was told to board with an earlier group (Group C).

5 hours ago, Chickadee910 said:

There is some seating inside the terminal building near the entry point and just in front of the bathrooms.  Sometimes you just have to ask the right person so if somebody is trying to hurry you along, just ask another port rep who seems more open to assist you.  

Seems like a mess in getting people on the ship. Sad as it sets the tone for the cruise and one would think they would get it fixed. Not sure if it is a port or cruise line issue, just fix it  Agree that everyone needs to show up at specific boarding times, following directions is a early grade lesson.

20 minutes ago, seekatz said:

Seems like a mess in getting people on the ship. Sad as it sets the tone for the cruise and one would think they would get it fixed. Not sure if it is a port or cruise line issue, just fix it  Agree that everyone needs to show up at specific boarding times, following directions is a early grade lesson.

I think it's a bit of both.  When I mentioned to  the person on here that works at the port about the escalator issues and how concerned I was she told me she doesn't work near the escalators.  That's not an appropriate response to something that could have caused serious injuries.

7 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think it's a bit of both.  When I mentioned to  the person on here that works at the port about the escalator issues and how concerned I was she told me she doesn't work near the escalators.  That's not an appropriate response to something that could have caused serious injuries.

There is an elevator.  We walked up the stairs.

7 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Good morning,

I live here in San Diego

and am wondering isn’t 

in the past!

Have a great day

🌺Denise

No. The line for Neptune/4 and 5 star is only after you go through security inside.

16 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

No. The line for Neptune/4 and 5 star is only after you go through security inside.

If the ship is ready for boarding the 4* and above just proceed to go onboard after going through the boarding process and security.  There was no line for 4 and 5 star that I saw.  I arrived at my boarding time and after telling them I was 4* I walked into the terminal and went through the boarding/security process.  

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

So do you walk past all the people standing in line out front waiting for their time and ask at the entrance to go inside with Neptune boarding with 4 or 5 star for security and processing

showing them your boarding pass?

Thanks, 

Last time was 3/2019 

boarding Rotterdam in San Diego doing Panama Canal and there was a sign outside the Pier for Neptune/4and 5

and it was easy. Club Orange wasn’t around yet! Never finished cruise since Covid forced us home on 3/17/2019.

Denise

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

So do you walk past all the people standing in line out front waiting for their time and ask at the entrance to go inside with Neptune boarding with 4 or 5 star for security and processing

showing them your boarding pass?

Thanks, 

Last time was 3/2019 

boarding Rotterdam in San Diego doing Panama Canal and there was a sign outside the Pier for Neptune/4and 5

and it was easy. Club Orange wasn’t around yet! Never finished cruise since Covid forced us home on 3/17/2019.

Denise

Denise my sweet sister.  Wasn't it March of 2020 when we were both kicked off our cruises? You were Panama Canal and we were going to Hawaii and Tahiti? 

You and David are taking the Hawaii cruise before Allen and me. I wish we coordinated it so we could be together.

Would love to see your latest painting! When do you leave your Maui home? 

We are thinking about selling our Westin timeshare.. not as easy now with Allen in his wheelchair 24/7. Easier cruising!!

Love you sweet sis! Aloha!

Edited by Seasick Sailor