New York hotel & shuttle to Princess ship recommendations 8/13

teacherplus

Flying into LGA on Sunday morning august 13, 2023 and looking for one night hotel and best way to get to ship. Itinerary says ship leaves from Brooklyn or Manhattan. Would love to see a show Sunday night. I know it’s expensive in New York but hoping not to have to take out a loan. Any advice much appreciated.

1 hour ago, teacherplus said:

Flying into LGA on Sunday morning august 13, 2023 and looking for one night hotel and best way to get to ship. Itinerary says ship leaves from Brooklyn or Manhattan. Would love to see a show Sunday night. I know it’s expensive in New York but hoping not to have to take out a loan. Any advice much appreciated.

Why Princess continues to say "Brooklyn or Manhattan" is beyond me. They know which cruise terminal will be used.

Is your cruise closed loop starting and ending in NY  such as a Canada/New England Cruise? if so it's virtually certain that your cruise will dock in Brooklyn. If the cruise starts in NY but ends elsewhere it might dock in either place but Princess knows which one and should specify the cruise terminal . 

In any event, assuming you will embark in Brooklyn I'd recommend you stay at a hotel in the Financial District in downtown Manhattan. It's a short subway, taxi or Uber ride from there to the Times Square area/Theater District and it's also easy to get to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on embarkation morning. There's a ferry that departs Pier 11 at Wall St. and the East River that is a short distance...either walking or by taxi...from many Financial District hotels and in Brooklyn docks literally a few feet from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

Hotel prices on weekends in the Financial District are often more modest than in midtown.

To get from LGA to Manhattan regardless of which neighborhood you're staying in you can take a taxi, Uber/Lyft or a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Why Princess continues to say "Brooklyn or Manhattan" is beyond me. They know which cruise terminal will be used.

Is your cruise closed loop starting and ending in NY  such as a Canada/New England Cruise? if so it's virtually certain that your cruise will dock in Brooklyn. If the cruise starts in NY but ends elsewhere it might dock in either place but Princess knows which one and should specify the cruise terminal . 

FWIW, as the cruise date approaches,, the OP's Princess Travel Summary document will clearly state the address of the departure.  It will still continue to state "New York (Manhattan or Brooklyn) but right underneath it will list, as the address, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, 72 Bowne St, Brooklyn, NY".  That's what ours read last month for a trip on the Enchanted Princess, out of Brooklyn.

Edited by lx200gps

36 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

FWIW, as the cruise date approaches,, the OP's Princess Travel Summary document will clearly state the address of the departure.  It will still continue to state "New York (Manhattan or Brooklyn) but right underneath it will list, as the address, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, 72 Bowne St, Brooklyn, NY".  That's what ours read last month for a trip on the Enchanted Princess, out of Brooklyn.

From what I've seen in years of trying to answer questions on this board is that when people are trying to plan their trip they often still  don't know which cruise terminal will be used because Princess hasn't as yet specified it even though Princess already knows where the ship will be docking.

Literally hundreds of options.  What neighborhood do you like?  Do you like Big hotels or smaller boutiques?  Do you collect points with any chains?

And then we get into budget.  Some great hotels over $1000/night all over the city.  Lots of choices at $300.  Not as many at $200.

I would say $200-300 for the one night and it would be great to be able to walk to a play that Sunday night. I have no points and usually stay in big hotels.  We get in about 10:30 am Sunday morning and get on ship Monday. The ship does come back to New York City. Thank you!

1 hour ago, teacherplus said:

I would say $200-300 for the one night and it would be great to be able to walk to a play that Sunday night. I have no points and usually stay in big hotels.  We get in about 10:30 am Sunday morning and get on ship Monday. The ship does come back to New York City. Thank you!

Although there are some Broadway shows with Sunday night performances the vast majority of shows only have matinees on Sunday, some at 1 pm, most typically at 2 or 3 pm . You may want to check the schedules for shows you're interested in seeing.

Here's this week's schedule:

https://playbill.com/article/weekly-schedule-of-current-broadway-shows

It's been too many years since I last stayed in a hotel in midtown Manhattan to make a recommendation. I'm sure others can name their favorites.

Edited by njhorseman

5 hours ago, teacherplus said:

I would say $200-300 for the one night and it would be great to be able to walk to a play that Sunday night. I have no points and usually stay in big hotels.

$200-300 will be in the 3 star range for Midtown but you'll still have options. Sweet spot would be about $300-400 where you would get most brand name 4 star full service hotels. 

Having lived in NYC for years I think of Times Square as the 10th circle of hell but it will certainly be convenient for what you are looking to do and then getting to the ship the next day. 

Some options to look at:

The Michelangelo , W Times Square, The Knickerbocker, The Casablanca Hotel, or The Edition. If any of those fit within your budget for the date you're looking at book it.

If those are more than you are looking to spend you'll have a pick of the usual Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, Hampton Inn etc 3 star places which are easy to find-- I just wanted to give you some ideas of more unique places in case it fit. 

If you wanted to get a little bit out of Times Square and a bit more of the "real" New York a few nearby places (still within a walk) would be Tudor City Hotel (sometimes there are deals there and its a straight shot down 42nd St to Times Square), The Library Hotel, Intercontinental The Barclay, or The Algonquin. Again, they might be at the top of or exceed your budget depending on the night but sometimes they sell in that range. 

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Having lived in NYC for years I think of Times Square as the 10th circle of hell but it will certainly be convenient for what you are looking to do and then getting to the ship the next day. 

Since the poster's ship is virtually certain to be departing from Brooklyn a hotel Times Square isn't as convenient for getting to the pier as a hotel in the Financial District. Obviously it does meet their desire to be able to walk to the theater. 

Edited by njhorseman

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Obviously it does meet their desire to be able to walk to the theater. 

I assumed they wanted something Midtown due to their wanting to walk to the theater. I usually stay in Midtown before a Brooklyn departure-- its really not that bad of a transfer. 

38 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I assumed they wanted something Midtown due to their wanting to walk to the theater. I usually stay in Midtown before a Brooklyn departure-- its really not that bad of a transfer. 

But I bet you don't stay in the "10th circle of hell" as you describe it if you're cruising from Brooklyn. 😉

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

But I bet you don't stay in the "10th circle of hell" as you describe it if you're cruising from Brooklyn. 😉

I certainly try not to at least for personal travel. Usually the move is to burn a bunch of Bonvoy points on an otherwise ridiculously priced room at the St Regis on 5th Ave. 

My company has an office in Times Square so I do stay there occasionally if its a quick in and out trip. When that happens The Algonquin is usually my go to-- adjacent to Times Square but slightly enough off of it you aren't walking right into the throngs and you still get Marriott points. Tiny rooms though but fine for a quick biz stay.