New behavior patterns on Viking Ocean since COVID?

CCWineLover

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I'm guilty...GUILTY!  I have so wanted to throw on my robe and go to the LR bar at 6 am to get coffee to bring back to my room.  But I never did - only guilty in thought.

have wore my robe to go down the hall to throw a load of laundry in at 4:30 am.  And I did get caught by the author of this thread at 5:30 am when I was retrieving my clothes and they were dropping off theirs.  Its just so annoying to meet early birds like me.

I have also worn the spa robe back to my room as I prefer to shower and dress in my own stateroom rather then the locker room.  One time I was so wiped out from a deep tissue massage that I had to text my DH to come help me get back to the room.  But then the forward elevators are right there and we like our stateroom near the forward lifts.

These are furtive robe wearing events whereas wearing ones robe to sit down for breakfast is rather blatent.

But I NEVER ever would put my feet on a table, sit in a dining chair with a wet suit or wear jeans to a restaurant.  I stopped packing jeans because for some reason i cannot zip them up after 5 days on a cruise!?

However all you people who stand outside on the Explorers Lounge bow blocking my view when I finally get one of those comfy forward facing chairs inside...  🙂

Too funny Lorna !  I do remember that early morning in the laundry!!

Seriously though, we have seen recently too many in the WC with swimsuits (wet) and/or pajamas grabbing food and sitting down to eat.   The one comment might be appropriate - people got used to dressing down while working at home and it is now just part of their mode of operation 🙂

Kent,  remember HER?

I most appreciated the lady who was loudly facing timing with her husband because he was in quarantine, while eating dinner in Manfredi's and she was annoyed with us for asking her to be quieter!

On our Panama Canal Cruise last year...I had gotten up VERY early so that I could stand at the rail outside the Explorer's Lounge.......a woman indigently told me I should move since it was her turn to be in the front....I explained that if she had gotten up earlier she too could have had a front row view!  My nice husband let her stand in his place....THEN she proceeded to take out her cell phone and make a video as she loudly narrated what was happening and we could NOT hear the historian a few feet away!  

One sixty to ONE you are SO Right!!!!

Edited by deec
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deec said:

I most appreciated the lady who was loudly facing timing with her husband because he was in quarantine, while eating dinner in Manfredi's and she was annoyed with us for asking her to be quieter!

This is happening everywhere, it seems. We’ve been in numerous restaurants where somebody pulls out a phone or tablet and has a long FaceTime session. At one expensive restaurant, we spent our entire dinner listening to a couple FaceTiming with their kids and grandkids on an iPad. The restaurant was attached to a hotel, so we figured they were hotel guests who treated the restaurant like an extension of the lobby. Maybe they couldn’t get a signal in their room, who knows. In any case, we haven’t been back. 

I returned for another B2B Bermuda cruise at the end of Orions Bermuda session. That last week carried a noticeably louder group than any I've seen on my other Viking cruises. Will be sailing the TA Neptune in December, fingers crossed & expecting a Classy Crowd.

This as others have said isn't just Viking & cruise lines. I work aboard Amtrak as a train attendant & witness each trip the surge in "passengers behaving badly". The demanding, entitled, & messy passengers test my spiritual connection before I remind myself to focus on the lovely, kind, & appreciative. Here's what happens on the train.....

20221009_072956.jpg

20211123_185316.jpg

On 11/3/2022 at 4:35 PM, CDNPolar said:

We saw this twice, and two different people with bare feet on tables in the Explorers Lounge.  The same as the picture you have posted.

We have too seen two or three times people in their PJ's and a robe in the WC for breakfast.  Unacceptable.  Once was just PJ's with no robe.

And... may I just say, that there is a time and a place for sleeveless tank tops for men.  They should not be worn in dining venues, not even the WC.  

WE choose Viking because there is an understated elegance about Viking ships.  Viking delivers superior customer service, food, and experiences.  We felt a higher level of guest pre-pandemic too.

I would agree that there are more people since the pandemic with a very low level of decorum. 

And... if someone came and inferred that I was interfering with their view of the sunset, I would tell them to move.  The ship is for everyone, and if they want a front row seat then they can stand at the railing outside.

And the person in this picture whose feet are on that table, they look like they belong to a man.

12 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I returned for another B2B Bermuda cruise at the end of Orions Bermuda session. That last week carried a noticeably louder group than any I've seen on my other Viking cruises. Will be sailing the TA Neptune in December, fingers crossed & expecting a Classy Crowd.

This as others have said isn't just Viking & cruise lines. I work aboard Amtrak as a train attendant & witness each trip the surge in "passengers behaving badly". The demanding, entitled, & messy passengers test my spiritual connection before I remind myself to focus on the lovely, kind, & appreciative. Here's what happens on the train.....

20221009_072956.jpg

20211123_185316.jpg

I have no pictures, but we have all seen the absolute disgusting mess that some airline passengers leave behind.  Not dissimilar to the train pictures.

Yes, air travel is cramped, but one of the first things we do is locate in our seatback pocket the trash bag (sick bag) and we start to use that for the bits and pieces.  We leave the seats we sat in as clean as we found them.  I just don't know who they think wants to clean up after them.  No decorum at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

How big a problem is this apparent increase in selfish behaviour on board Viking? Should I brace myself before our cruise next March? 

We've just returned from an Azamara cruise and found everyone to be pretty civilised. 

We have traveled several cruises on Viking post pandemic and found that for the most part, these people tend to be the exception than the rule.  Our last ocean, one woman was FaceTiming someone back home from the Explorers Lounge.  I could have gone on with my life without hearing her, but tuned her out.  
I never saw anyone in WC in a swimsuit, but I guess I’m guilty as I go dressed to work out after breakfast on sea days.  The only robes I have seen outside of cabins is people coming back from the spa.  
Pre pandemic these things happened too.  Maybe it has been so long that people have forgotten?  Personally, I remember rude people on those cruises too.  Some DH called out (like when they were mean to Viking staff.  But they DID exist.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Haworth said:

We will be back on Viking in January and have been following both this and the “chair hogs” thread, I am yet to see any of the behaviours eluded to in these threads and that’s based on 50 plus nights experience.

Out of curiosity, were these 50 plus nights, pre-covid or post- covid? Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Haworth said:

All pre covid, apart from May this year and that was the Chairman’s cruise or those of us on Viking Sky and it had a very special dynamic and would not be a fair comparison 

Gotcha. WE noticed a dramatic change in the dynamics as well, on two different Princess ships just this past May and September.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

On Octantis one evening we were going through a lock which everyone was excited to see. After dinner everyone began going outside and gathering along the railing to watch the process. It was a beautiful evening, people were chatting and having their after dinner coffee.  As I was standing there someone told me, if you stand in that spot the man in the Explorers Lounge is going to start pounding the window and yelling at you. That did not detour me, and sure enough he started the banging and yelling. I continued chatting and watching the event taking place. He finally quit. I wondered how many people had actually moved to accommodate this man who felt he owned that spot. Thinking back on it now, I wish I would have waved and smiled and yelled back, "Yes it is lovely isn't it!!" 

The funny thing is...from where he was sitting, he did not have a view of what was going on, even without anyone in his way.  You had to be standing outside along the railing to actually see what was happening. He's probably the same guy who puts his stuff on a chair by the pool at 6 AM and finally sits in it for 30 min. at 4 PM. 

A similarly robust approach from all would soon deter chair hogs and other similar life forms

• Like 2

I honestly think that the behavior of passengers is pretty much as it has always been.  We have seen boorish behavior on every Viking cruise we have been on since 2011.  There have always been an array of items "reserving" the loungers on sea days, there have always been people who think it is okay to put their feet up on the furniture (with or without shoes), loud groups in the dining venues and lounges, and individuals who seem to think that their "rights" supersede all others.   Fortunately, most of it is of little consequence to me other than a minor irritation or even amusement.

Perhaps we are just more sensitive to factors that we feel may lessen our enjoyment of the long awaited return to travel.  We have waited a long time, endured the dreaded "vouchers" gauntlet, and probably suffered at least one missed, rescheduled, late, oversold, and overcrowded flight, and maybe we've even arrived sans luggage.  When we walk onboard that lovely ship we expect things to be as we remember them ... darn near perfect.  But alas some jerk has his feet on a table in the Explorers Lounge!  😬  I'm guessing he was probably there before COVID ... it just didn't bother us so much.  On our summer BIE cruise I have to admit that we found the ship to be much more lively than we recalled from earlier cruises and it was the first time I recall having to wait in a line to be seated in the Restaurant.  Every performance was standing room only and even Torshavn was hopping in the evenings!  I honestly don't recall any incidents of misbehavior the entire time!  

Edited by molymoo
  • Like 3

On 11/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, lackcreativity said:

However, the morning I saw a woman in her bathrobe eating breakfast in the World Cafe I must admit to a disturbing distraction. It was worn over her visible pajamas, so not just someone on their way to the pool or spa, though I think that is over a line as well.

Just to point out… if a person has luggage that has gone missing they might be finishing up laundry at breakfast so they have something clean to wear on the next excursion. And I do think this is perfectly acceptable in that situation. Yes she could have breakfast in her room. But maybe her traveling companion is still sleeping or maybe she just wants to be able to enjoy the beautiful ship. She did pay for full use of the ship as we all did. 

I think we can all put forth an effort at affording each other a bit of grace during these still challenging times. 

After all… when it comes to missing luggage… but for the grace of god and the airline’s luggage staff… it could be us on our next voyage!

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Just to point out… if a person has luggage that has gone missing they might be finishing up laundry at breakfast so they have something clean to wear on the next excursion. And I do think this is perfectly acceptable in that situation. Yes she could have breakfast in her room. But maybe her traveling companion is still sleeping or maybe she just wants to be able to enjoy the beautiful ship. She did pay for full use of the ship as we all did. 

I think we can all put forth an effort at affording each other a bit of grace during these still challenging times. 

After all… when it comes to missing luggage… but for the grace of god and the airline’s luggage staff… it could be us on our next voyage!

I agree there should be a 'lost luggage dress code amnesty' perhaps a coloured lanyard (or something else) could be issued by Viking so the person can easily indicate to restaurant staff and others, avoiding embarassment, that the situation is not voluntary. Thinking also of those on delayed/late flights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/4/2022 at 8:41 PM, Twitchly said:

This is happening everywhere, it seems. We’ve been in numerous restaurants where somebody pulls out a phone or tablet and has a long FaceTime session. At one expensive restaurant, we spent our entire dinner listening to a couple FaceTiming with their kids and grandkids on an iPad. The restaurant was attached to a hotel, so we figured they were hotel guests who treated the restaurant like an extension of the lobby. Maybe they couldn’t get a signal in their room, who knows. In any case, we haven’t been back. 

The thing to do is join in the conversation. They soon shut up

• Like 1
  • Haha 6