New behavior patterns on Viking Ocean since COVID?

CCWineLover

38 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

You know, I think I’m going to do this. Who knows, we might even make some new friends!

lol Been doing that for years, especially when you have a "notice me" type talking loudly on the phone. Just interject comments and amuse yourself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

Just to point out… if a person has luggage that has gone missing they might be finishing up laundry at breakfast so they have something clean to wear on the next excursion. And I do think this is perfectly acceptable in that situation. Yes she could have breakfast in her room. But maybe her traveling companion is still sleeping or maybe she just wants to be able to enjoy the beautiful ship. She did pay for full use of the ship as we all did. 

I think we can all put forth an effort at affording each other a bit of grace during these still challenging times. 

After all… when it comes to missing luggage… but for the grace of god and the airline’s luggage staff… it could be us on our next voyage!

I know you make a good point, and I should examine my conscience as to whether I was being mean spirited. However, thanks to all you good people here on Cruise Critic, I learned very early on that one should never travel without at least a few changes of clothes in their carry-on.  Personally, I cannot picture any scenario where I would find myself outside of my cabin in a bathrobe.  Except perhaps if the Abandon Ship alarm went off while I was in the shower! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

As an FYI, it is socially acceptable these days for teens to wear pj bottoms and a crop top to school, the movies, the mall…pretty much anywhere.  As a high school teacher, I’ve seen every fashion statement you can imagine and then some.  I’ve learned to focus on their behaviour and not their wardrobe.  Trying to be the Fashion Police is futile, frustrating and unrewarding. 

So maybe the pj-wearing buffet goers are simply copying their grandkids’ fashions…? 😉

In all seriousness, though, this thread is making DH and I a little nervous for our upcoming West Indies Explorer cruise.  I’m pretty sure our wardrobe choices won’t live up to others’ expectations.  Ah well…

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

In all seriousness, though, this thread is making DH and I a little nervous for our upcoming West Indies Explorer cruise.  I’m pretty sure our wardrobe choices won’t live up to others’ expectations.  Ah well…

Dress for the ship you want not the ship you have. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Dress for the ship you want not the ship you have. 😉

LOL.  That’s an inspiring thought.  I’ve got some pretty creative ideas about the perfect cruise ship…

Well here’s more fodder for the PJ bottom debate. 
I always make sure I have this kind of bottom in my carry on with a nice top to go with them. In a pinch they are nice enough for dinner in the dining room, and if you need pajamas they work too! 

I may regret posting this if any of ya’ll call me out in the dining room one evening! 

https://shop.pbs.org/HZ9337.html?p=1&OP1=TQ&OP2=L&websource=PBSGOOGLE7&source_code=PBSGOOGLE7&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&coupon_code=PBSGS21&websource=PBSGOOGLE76&source_code=PBSGOOGLE76&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk5ibBhDqARIsACzmgLR9dvy_7Z7xUa0KdM0c708oqu8FtjLDQyAtJS18RcgOVDqouM8Lfr0aAjLjEALw_wcB#gallery-1

D0285734-2DE6-4591-B664-82CB64BE17F1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Regarding sitting with feet up in public places on board ship.

My problem is that my dr has advised that I should always sit with my feet elevated as I suffer from very badly swollen ankles and legs.Not a look I would choose to go for if I could avoid it.

Any suggestions? eg put a cushion on any surface first?,sit sideways on a couch?

You know, as I read through this thread, and I have posted thoughts and opinions here as well, I find myself starting to take the position of "live and let live".

I personally have gone through a transformation of sorts over the past decade where I learned to lower my expectations with many things, because sometimes, or even often our "expectations" bring disappointment when they are not met.  We don't however have control over our expectations especially if it is other passenger behaviour that is failing our expectations.

Now, I don't mean to say that you should not have a level of expectation for what is in Viking's control, and we know for the most part Viking deliver on their promise of service and an outstanding experience.  Where Viking have not delivered for us in the past, a quick discussion with Guest Services and the situation has been remedied.  

We all have different upbringings and we all "expect" different things but these expectations are only as good as our experience and what we were taught as right and wrong or acceptable and not acceptable.

I live in an area where I am a minority to many different cultures, and each culture has different ways of doing things and different expectations of personal space, and how to conduct themselves.  If I was constantly looking for everyone to conform to my standards, then I would be a pretty unhappy person.

Most of the people doing the things we don't like will likely never read this thread, and the fact is that even if they did, it would probably make them laugh and take a high road and continue to do the same things over and over...

I am the first person to hold "standards" for behaviour.  I personally don't want to see some standards of behaviour fall away, but like most things, if there is no penalty for someone not behaving to a standard then human nature will always test the limits.  The fact is, and no offence to the discussion about feet on the table, there is no rule posted anywhere that tells someone that it is wrong to do...

Just my rambling opinion and thoughts.  I find this thread very interesting and the opinion of each and every person valuable to the discussion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bookbabe said:

As an FYI, it is socially acceptable these days for teens to wear pj bottoms and a crop top to school, the movies, the mall…pretty much anywhere.  As a high school teacher, I’ve seen every fashion statement you can imagine and then some.  I’ve learned to focus on their behaviour and not their wardrobe.  Trying to be the Fashion Police is futile, frustrating and unrewarding. 

So maybe the pj-wearing buffet goers are simply copying their grandkids’ fashions…? 😉

If they are trying to copy their grandkids fashion trends; then they are too old to do this.

Also have seen people fully sprawled  out on the seats in the lounge on the river cruises (with shoes on or shoeless) on the furniture while sleeping instead of using their rooms.

Edited by hutch1994
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I always make sure I have this kind of bottom in my carry on with a nice top to go with them. In a pinch they are nice enough for dinner in the dining room, and if you need pajamas they work too! 

I may regret posting this if any of ya’ll call me out in the dining room one evening! 

https://shop.pbs.org/HZ9337.html?p=1&OP1=TQ&OP2=L&websource=PBSGOOGLE7&source_code=PBSGOOGLE7&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&coupon_code=PBSGS21&websource=PBSGOOGLE76&source_code=PBSGOOGLE76&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk5ibBhDqARIsACzmgLR9dvy_7Z7xUa0KdM0c708oqu8FtjLDQyAtJS18RcgOVDqouM8Lfr0aAjLjEALw_wcB#gallery-1

I had a neru jacket with that pattern in the 70's....:-)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sugarside said:

My problem is that my dr has advised that I should always sit with my feet elevated as I suffer from very badly swollen ankles and legs.Not a look I would choose to go for if I could avoid it.

Any suggestions? eg put a cushion on any surface first?,sit sideways on a couch?

Or use another chair for your feet.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Just an FYI, it’s not just teens. I volunteer at our airport and lots of people fly in outfits such as this and if I had a nickel for the number of people I’ve seen flying in their bedroom slippers! 

If I was you and your hubby, I wouldn’t worry about your clothes.  I suspect you will be fine as long as you only wear  pj bottoms and your crop tops in your stateroom and don’t wear your bathrobe to  the Worls Cafe. 

Speaking of which if you do decide to wear your robe, please don’t be like the lady we saw years ago on NCL. We were having breakfast in the restaurant set aside for suite passengers (we weren’t but had been given the privilege as I had organized our CC Meet and Greet) when the couple who were staying alone in the three bedroom, 2,600 Sf Garden Villa strolled downstairs and into the restaurant in her bathrobe. Interesting choice we thought, rather than have the butler bring up breakfast to come eat with the peons but can’t bother to get dressed. But then she sat down and Mike realized she really hadn’t bothered at all. As he put it, “I can see Christmas”😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The fact is, and no offence to the discussion about feet on the table, there is no rule posted anywhere that tells someone that it is wrong to do...

Actually, there are usually health & hygiene regulations in eating venues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I love them.  Gorgeous!  There is really no difference in these pants then the black gauze or silk ones that are considered dressy.  So whimsical or colorful makes them pj's?  When the teacher said students wore pj bottoms to school, i thought no, not pj's just comfy lounging type pants. 

There was a controversy about if or what type of leggins were appropriate.  There are short length, capri length and ankle length.  Ankle length can be very dressy with a tunic top.

Being a child of the rebellious 60's, I hold the belief that you are the same person no mattter what clothes you wear.  But we learn that there are often different ways to dress and act in certain situations whether social, religious or simply a stated dress code.

Viking has a dress code for the different restaurants and areas of the ship.  One can learn what it is on MVJ and it is even listed in every Viking Daily when on the ship.

We can argue whether or not these lovely pants meet the restaurant dress code or are they pj's.  However if someone wears them under a robe to breakfast, they are pj's.  Its the robe worn to breakfast in the WC that is inappropriate.  Robes are bedroom, bathroom, pool, locker room and spa wear not dining wear.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, duquephart said:

Room service? Laundry Service?

We had a missed connection, an unexpected overnight and then our luggage was delayed on our very first Viking cruise.  We had some extra clothes in carry on but my DH did not have a collared shirt.  We had a reservation in the Chefs Table our first night on board so we went to Guest Services to see if it was okay for my DH to wear a nice long sleeved T-shirt.  No was the answer but they lent him 2 collared shirts and gave us free expedited laundry service.  Without this service we would have gone to the WC for dinner and had room service breakfast while washing our clothes in the self service launderette.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, sugarside said:

There are numerous areas to sit where the chair has an ottoman, is a chaise lounge or a pool lounger - all are meant to put hold legs and feet. The tables in front of the 2 Explorer lounge front window chairs, in the middle of a 4 chair seating arrangement or between two sofas are for food and drink, not feet.  I don't have your issue but am more comfortable with my legs elevated.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I'm usually in agonies of embarrassment when trying to put out our breakfast order card after I've changed into my nightie just in case anyone might catch sight of me!

LOL.  I am uncomfortable when the food arrives and i am in my robe.  But hey, that's the reason i get room service breakfast.

• Like 3