Have you done Antarctica on O?

SophieM

Oceania cancelled the 2022 South America season including the Antarctica cruise I was booked on.  I don't think they had done that itinerary previously (if I'm wrong someone will correct me) so I suspect you'll need to wait until the end of January of 23 before you get first hand information.  I'm booked on one of the SA/Antarctica cruises in '24. 

I believe  they have done that route before 

You do not actually go to Antarctica  but  you know that

the ports  like the Falklands are hit or miss

Search  the forum  back before 2020 I am sure you will find  the comments

or the roll calls  for back  then

We will be there with you johnlcruise, looking forward to this trip with friends. Undoubtably we will see you at the January 18 Meet and Greet that Bruce is hosting. Sophie, I am sure you will be seeing many posts and pictures from this years trip. This is our 3rd attempt, barely 70 days to go as we have added a trip to Iguazu Falls.  The EXCITEMENT builds. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I believe  they have done that route before 

You do not actually go to Antarctica  but  you know that

the ports  like the Falklands are hit or miss

Search  the forum  back before 2020 I am sure you will find  the comments

or the roll calls  for back  then

You do go to Anarctica but only sail by the northernmost islands with no landing. 

• Like 2

Having done Antarctica on Seabourn, I would NEVER settle for just sailing by Antarctica.  Being on the ice is the closest thing to being on another planet.  In other words, out of this world.  Loved all the penguins and seals—and even a whole day of whales entertaining us, BUT the highlight was the daily time on the ice.  I think every person who has gotten to get off the ship, has taken the rubber rafts by the ice bergs, around the icebergs, and finally stepping onto the ice, would agree.  IMHO, it’s like a partial Panama Canal transit vs a complete one—only 100 times more impactful.  Hope this helps.

Edited by MomC
Rewording
  • Like 1

Just call it an incentive for a future Seabourn Antarctic cruise. We all need motivation of one kind or another so our January “cruise bye” trip might just wet our appetite. 
Whatever it is we see, it will be very special.

Enjoy, Mauibabes 

2 hours ago, MomC said:

Having done Antarctica on Seabourn, I would NEVER settle for just sailing by Antarctica.  Being on the ice is the closest thing to being on another planet.  In other words, out of this world.  Loved all the penguins and seals—and even a whole day of whales entertaining us, BUT the highlight was the daily time on the ice.  I think every person who has gotten to get off the ship, has taken the rubber rafts by the ice bergs, around the icebergs, and finally stepping onto the ice, would agree.  IMHO, it’s like a partial Panama Canal transit vs a complete one—only 100 times more impactful.  Hope this helps.

I really appreciate that description. I have also been trying to plan an Antarctic trip and deciding on whether to do a "drive by" or landing. I'm from SW Mo, and think that I would love either, but this is great info. 

2 hours ago, MomC said:

MomC - we can't agree more!  Also did Antarctica on Seabourne and the it was the most amazing experience.  A trip of a lifetime,,,

• Like 1

Good to hear your kudos for the Seabourn Quest Antarctica, since we have been booked on that for 3 years now, along with the Marina S. America sailings, figuring surely one or the other would go eventually.  So since both are sailing we have stayed with our Seabourn booking and will be sailing January 6th.

I see tradeoffs to both the Sb Quest and the Marina sailings.  Along with the obvious ones discussed above, the Marina has an excellent itinerary for S. America.  The Quest does not go to nearly as many places, so personally I like the Marina S. America itinerary better for seeing more of S. America. 

Also, you save money not actually going onto the continent.  While yes commonly a parka is provided (yours to keep), and you rent the special boots, still there are special, socks, gloves, hats/face guards, long underwear possibly ski goggles for the glare....to be purchased.  Naturally I finally parted with my nice ski clothes a few years ago.  So here I am buying the things, trying on my "arctic pants", feeling like the Michelin commercial.  Now I'm thinking maybe I should book an arctic cruise to get a few more wearings out of all this!

The penguins better be extra cute to make it all worth it.  Ah yes, another positive for the sail by - you don't keel over from the smell of the  oh so cute penguins.  Such a deal!

Whatever you do, you will have a wonderful trip.        

• Like 1

We did this cruise from BA to Santiago on Insignia.

We missed Falkland because the ship lost its anchor during its positioning.  Weather was great.  Captain blamed it on the weather, not the crews competance.

Drive by was literally a drive by -- some large ice flows.  Some smells from penguins on Deception Island. But it did wet our appetite for an expedition cruise, which we did on Silversea Explorer that was exceptional.

The Chilean fjords and coast was the better part of the cruise.

Opinion - expedition better, but certainly no complaints about a drive by.   Falkland is worth it if you can land (many do not for various reasons 🙂  )

We did Antartica on Hurtigruten's Fram making a dozen landings on islands and the continent itself, visited several research stations and were enthralled by the local wildlife, seals, whales, and of course penguins.  Hurtigruten provided the boots and jacket (got to keep the jacket) and we cruised the Antarctic Ocean from Ushuaia and back.  My spouse likens the difference to her experience as a teen driving through New York City: her father told her to look out the rear window to see the Empire State Building.  Stopping was not an option.  We have stepped on all 7 continents.  Africa safari with Tauck and Antarctica with Hurtigruten have been highlights of our travels.

Dear All, I am the original poster of this topic. I appreciate all the replies, but as an expedition cruise isn’t possible for us, I am really looking for input from those who have done the sail by. No snark intended. 

Thanks much!

• Like 3

Sophie.

We sailed with Princess, the last large ship allowed to visit.We did sail past/through.It was still excellent.We did anchor once or twice but never got off in Antartica.We could not afford the expedition cruises then.It was quite emotional seeing the beautiful huge icebergs float by...The albatross and the flying fish for hours and hours along side us.Stunning to go on deck on a clear moonlit night.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 12:23 PM, mauibabes said:

We will be there with you johnlcruise, looking forward to this trip with friends. Undoubtably we will see you at the January 18 Meet and Greet that Bruce is hosting. Sophie, I am sure you will be seeing many posts and pictures from this years trip. This is our 3rd attempt, barely 70 days to go as we have added a trip to Iguazu Falls.  The EXCITEMENT builds. 
Mauibabes

We’ll be getting on right after you arrive in Santiago on 2/7 !  Enjoy

I was on Celebrity Infinity and will be on Marina South America and Antartica. I chose these cruises because for the Antartica nature it is much better not to step on the ice. We saw the icebergs, Whales, Penguins… It was beautiful! So I believe in seeing the same with Marina in January.

• Like 2