current life boat drill procedure

goldmom

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

I always wondered but never asked those who checked you in which lifeboat station they would take us to, just to see if they knew.

That is part of the check in procedure, your name/cabin is on their list with the boat station.

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

I also wonder if they have any special instructions for those confined to a wheelchair on how to get to the lifeboats.

There are special instructions for getting mobility challenged not only into the boats, but from their cabins to the muster station and then to the boats.

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Agree - and many folks think it is cramped being used as a tender.  Now put on those 50 more people in the dark in a rolling sea with rain.  Not a pretty picture.

One of the most common comments that I got when we did passenger drills, was the amazement at how close the "butt dots" were in the boats.  LIfeboat capacity is based on an average weight of 215 lbs, up from 167 lbs a few years ago (so older boats are based on that smaller size).  There are no bathrooms, or places to vomit, and no AC in the boats.

Depending on the type of lifeboat, the ones on the NCL Epic have a capacity of 293 and 267 passengers.  I can’t imagine how crammed that would be.  I was surprised to see that emergency rations are stored on the lifeboats.

No bathrooms on lifeboats, all the more reason to pack a couple pair of adult diapers for the cruise.😆

IMG_3788_1.thumb.jpg.820a5958e6986b772917ec5e66652baa.jpg

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There are no bathrooms, or places to vomit, and no AC in the boats.

Actually, the whole lifeboat will probably pretty quickly turn into a bathroom and place to vomit. AC will depend on the weather.

Sorry, I know it’s a serious subject, but I couldn’t resist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ronrythm said:

Actually, the whole lifeboat will probably pretty quickly turn into a bathroom and place to vomit. AC will depend on the weather.

My opinion:  your post is perfectly appropriate!

People who think this topic is less than very serious need to read a book or two about the Prinsendam fire in the Gulf of Alaska.  A very detailed book written by a USCG Officer at the scene makes some "interesting" reading.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

When in an emergency,  people will panic. There will be many people panicking and being unable to process what the muster drill provided being it on the tv or at the drill on deck. Just try to recall your lifeboat number and vest. 

Watching it on TV is what concerns me the most!  There is NO assurance--none whatsoever that I can determine--that people are watching this information.  "Need to unpack, need to go to the bathroom, play the recording while we are on the veranda taking in the sights and having a drink, etc."  People will do what THEY darn want to do, when they want to do it.  And, watching a safety video may not be high on their priority list!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Watching it on TV is what concerns me the most!  There is NO assurance--none whatsoever that I can determine--that people are watching this information.  "Need to unpack, need to go to the bathroom, play the recording while we are on the veranda taking in the sights and having a drink, etc."  People will do what THEY darn want to do, when they want to do it.  And, watching a safety video may not be high on their priority list!  

Agreed. There is nothing that forces you to 'watch' the video, let alone pay attention to it. There is only a requirement that the video play through.
I don't even know if you have to be in your cabin while it plays! You could be in the Ocean Bar having a celebratory drink while the TV runs! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

Agreed. There is nothing that forces you to 'watch' the video, let alone pay attention to it. There is only a requirement that the video play through.
I don't even know if you have to be in your cabin while it plays! You could be in the Ocean Bar having a celebratory drink while the TV runs! 

Do you even have to have the sound on the tv when watching the video?

In a real emergency, does anyone think they will tell everyone to go back to their cabin and turn on the tv for announcements? After all you act in a real emergency as you practice in energency drills.

16 hours ago, ronrythm said:

The last ones in the boat will be luckier than those first in, as the later ones will be able to vomit down on those sitting below them.  The bilge pump (hand operated) is for waste and vomit.  Those who called for putting the Carnival Triumph passengers into boats have no idea how worse it would have been than staying on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Semi-serious question: 
Since I travel solo, yet have to pay as two people, does that mean I get the room of two seats on a lifeboat, should I ever have to board one? 

Just curious, but since I have paid for two seats, I think it a valid point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Semi-serious question: 
Since I travel solo, yet have to pay as two people, does that mean I get the room of two seats on a lifeboat, should I ever have to board one? 

Just curious, but since I have paid for two seats, I think it a valid point. 

And you know it will not happen! And hopefully, you will never need to find out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe with a glass or two of wine and playing trivia, I might have a better chance of actually winning the game?  🤣

Partner up with me, and your chances of winning will go up exponentially. 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe with a glass or two of wine and playing trivia, I might have a better chance of actually winning the game?  🤣

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Partner up with me, and your chances of winning will go up exponentially. 😉

Engine noise is going to make trivia a little difficult to accomplish, but you do know that the prize is an extra hour pumping the bilges?

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Engine noise is going to make trivia a little difficult to accomplish, but you do know that the prize is an extra hour pumping the bilges?

Damn, I forgot this was not Carnival; I was hoping to win a lifeboat on a stick. 🤣

• Haha 2

On 11/6/2022 at 3:55 PM, rkacruiser said:

My opinion:  your post is perfectly appropriate!

People who think this topic is less than very serious need to read a book or two about the Prinsendam fire in the Gulf of Alaska.  A very detailed book written by a USCG Officer at the scene makes some "interesting" reading.  

Do you recall the name of the book?

It is NOT a lifeboat drill; it is a MUSTER drill.

There are all kinds of reasons that there could be an actual call to muster without needing lifeboats. For instance, there was a call to muster on the Star Princess when they had their balcony fires. Or there have been calls to muster when there have been reports of possibly a passenger overboard as the muster procedure accounts for counting passengers.

A need to use the actual lifeboats is very rare.