NCL Air - are basic economy seats the norm?

Ken the cruiser

Without going into a variety of examples, is it normal to have to wait until you check in to an international flight booked through NCL Air before you’re able to get seat assignments? If this is the default norm, is there some optional way using NCL Air service to book at least Main Cabin seats rather the Basic Economy? Not being able to get seat assignments prior to checking into a 16-hour flight where NCL Air booked you in Basic Economy seats is not something we want to ever experience again.

We’re not in search of business class seats, just main cabin seats where we can book the seats once they’re ticketed. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

• Ken the cruiser changed the title to NCL Air - are basic economy seats the norm?

The fare class and what you're allowed depends on the carrier.  NCL is negotiating the fares in bulk and trying to get the best rate they can.  When I flew on domestic flights booked through the air promo at the time (Fall of 2019) I was able to select my seat with Delta and American.

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If this is the default norm, is there some optional way using NCL Air service to book at least Main Cabin seats rather the Basic Economy?

If booking on the promo - no, you get what they book.  There's also NCL Premium Air, an option that allows you a little more control over your flight bookings as NCL is acting as your TA and using their size to get better rates (but not BOGO) for your flights.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, hallux said:

The fare class and what you're allowed depends on the carrier.  NCL is negotiating the fares in bulk and trying to get the best rate they can.  When I flew on domestic flights booked through the air promo at the time (Fall of 2019) I was able to select my seat with Delta and American.

If booking on the promo - no, you get what they book.  There's also NCL Premium Air, an option that allows you a little more control over your flight bookings as NCL is acting as your TA and using their size to get better rates (but not BOGO) for your flights.

Thank you! We will definitely have to do more research regarding NCL Premium Air. 

https://www.ncl.com/in/en/freestyle-cruise/premium-air

1 hour ago, hallux said:

If I might ask a follow-on question, being new to NCL booking practices. If there is a BOGO air promotion on a potential itinerary we’re looking at, is there a way to remove the air promotion during the booking process to get an applicable credit applied to the cruise price prior to contacting the NCL Premium Air folks? Is it as easy as asking our TA to remove it, or is it somewhat more complicated? 

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask a follow-on question, being new to NCL booking practices. If there is a BOGO air promotion on a potential itinerary we’re looking at, is there a way to remove the air promotion during the booking process to get an applicable credit applied to the cruise price prior to contacting the NCL Premium Air folks? Is it as easy as asking our TA to remove it, or is it somewhat more complicated? 

When booking you have to add the air, without it you don't get a discount.  

Just to complete the information exchange on this thread for those interested who like us are new to the regular NCL Air Sea program, which I believe the BOGO promotion is associated with, here’s the link to the details of that program.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/airsea

In addition, here is a link to the US-based NCL Premium Air program. 

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/premium-air

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

It's abaout he least costly way to get you from point "A" to point "B". 

True, and that may work for many folks. However, not for us. If nothing else, we should at least be allowed to request seat assignments when an applicable flight has been ticketed. But that’s OK. We asked NCL to book our international flights with the BOGO promotion and made some ill-fated assumptions. Next time, we’ll know better. 

54 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

True, and that may work for many folks. However, not for us. If nothing else, we should at least be allowed to request seat assignments when an applicable flight has been ticketed. But that’s OK. We asked NCL to book our international flights with the BOGO promotion and made some ill-fated assumptions. Next time, we’ll know better. 

The ability to choose seats is based on the airline. I've usually been able to choose seats (sometimes for a fee) for international flights.

Just now, julig22 said:

The ability to choose seats is based on the airline. I've usually been able to choose seats (sometimes for a fee) for international flights.

I agree, unless you’ve been booked in a Delta “basic economy” or a similar United or American category which doesn’t allow you to get seats assigned until check-in. For example, my BIL and his DW just got their flight schedule from Orlando to Athens. First leg is an overnight flight from Orlando to Frankfurt. Then from Frankfurt to Munich. Then another overnight flight from Munich to Dubai. Each leg has been ticketed, but they called Lufthansa (partnered on their flights with United) and they can’t get their seats assigned until check-in. Did I mention there are two overnight flights with no guarantee they will be able to sit together on any of the flights. I’m sure it’s probably a rare case. 

In our case our return 16-hour flight from Cape Town to Atlanta next month was booked in a Delta "Basic Economy" category where according to Delta you get the following:

- No seat(s) assigned until after check-in, not together 

- No changes allowed*

- Cancelable for partial eCredit (cancellation charge applies)**

- Last to board & not eligible for upgrades 

- No miles earned; no credit toward SkyMiles Medallion Status***

Again, I’m sure it’s just another rare case. But at the same time, one we never want to repeat again.

36 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I agree, unless you’ve been booked in a Delta “basic economy” or a similar United or American category which doesn’t allow you to get seats assigned until check-in. For example, my BIL and his DW just got their flight schedule from Orlando to Athens. First leg is an overnight flight from Orlando to Frankfurt. Then from Frankfurt to Munich. Then another overnight flight from Munich to Dubai. Each leg has been ticketed, but they called Lufthansa (partnered on their flights with United) and they can’t get their seats assigned until check-in. Did I mention there are two overnight flights with no guarantee they will be able to sit together on any of the flights. I’m sure it’s probably a rare case.

Interesting. I just flew Lufthansa Rome to Munich to SFO, got my seat assignments when I registered online. But for the United flight from SFO to Oregon, seat was assigned at the gate - but for a 1hr puddle jumper I can live with it.

Never flown Delta overseas. Flying United to Capetown in December, also have my seat assignments.

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I was not aware of the 75 day rule.  ALL and I mean all deviations must be requested at least 75 days prior to departure.  In our case, we plan on staying several days after debarkation, but I did not contact NCL until after the 75 day limit.  I ended up having to pay for our own return flights and the NCL seats will be empty.  Fortunately, I had some airline credit so it was only moderately painful.  Lesson learned.

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It honestly depends on who they end up going with as the airline, and what your status is with such said airline. We haven't used NCL air for international travel yet, but will a year from now.

For our domestic flights, we were always able to use the airline record locator number once given to us by NCL about 30-60 days before flying. Using that number directly on the airline website we could pick whatever seat we wanted, and pay to upgrade to comfort plus or exit row if we chose to. Some airlines had no charge for picking seats (based on where the seat was located), others charged a minimum of $25 just to not sit twinkie.

20 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

I was not aware of the 75 day rule.  ALL and I mean all deviations must be requested at least 75 days prior to departure.  In our case, we plan on staying several days after debarkation, but I did not contact NCL until after the 75 day limit.  I ended up having to pay for our own return flights and the NCL seats will be empty.  Fortunately, I had some airline credit so it was only moderately painful.  Lesson learned.

It's been 75 days for quite some time, and has been clearly laid out in the terms.  If you didn't read the T&C's and were not aware of the deadline, that's on you.

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

In our case our return 16-hour flight from Cape Town to Atlanta next month was booked in a Delta "Basic Economy" category where according to Delta you get the following:

- No changes allowed*

Again, I’m sure it’s just another rare case. But at the same time, one we never want to repeat again.

I appreciate and respect your desire for certainty in advance, however as someone who flies very frequently, I have never had a problem getting seats together when check in is done rigidly 24 hours in advance.  

Everyone is also different.  I wouldn't care about not sitting together for a few hours (even transatlantic really normally at 7-8 hr flight depending on destination) but I know my partner or kids would think that is the worst lol.  

With opportunities to use the airline locator to select in advance in many cases, the fact that airlines often put ppl on the same locator together anyways, the ability to select for free at check in or pay at check in, it's unlikely two people wouldn't get seats together.  If someone is trying to get/use upgrades or otherwise I understand.

My biggest issue is that the free airfare isn't that cheap from my origin city so I've never used it.  Every time I look, I could purchase 2 tickets for often the same price and not need to deal with all the issues that have been noted here so many times.  Perhaps out of US cities it is cheaper, but from here in Canada it's quite expensive.  

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just to complete the information exchange on this thread for those interested who like us are new to the regular NCL Air Sea program, which I believe the BOGO promotion is associated with, here’s the link to the details of that program.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/airsea

In addition, here is a link to the US-based NCL Premium Air program. 

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/premium-air

It would be great if NCL had an air program like Princess where you can go in and look, pick your own flights and class of flight. No phone calls, it's all right there on the website, no phone calls, no miscommunication. 

• Like 2

The weird thing on our upcoming Jade pre-cruise Delta flight from Atlanta to Athens in a few days was that our seats were in the Main Cabin category, and we were able to get seat assignments for all 3 legs by simply logging onto our Delta account.

It was only when we received our return Delta flight schedule a few weeks later from Cape Town to Atlanta (as our B2B is 39 days long) that we were booked in the Delta bargain-basement Basic Economy category. Heck, we won't even get credit for the 8,000 mile flight on our Delta FF miles!

But, again, we can't really complain too much as we did ask NCL Air to book our flights using the BOGO promotion which worked out to be $1100 pp RT. Right now, our flight from Cape Town to Atlanta (one way) is around $1,900 pp.

36 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

Everyone is also different.  I wouldn't care about not sitting together for a few hours (even transatlantic really normally at 7-8 hr flight depending on destination) but I know my partner or kids would think that is the worst lol.  

And there you have it!! 🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, njkate said:

It would be great if NCL had an air program like Princess where you can go in and look, pick your own flights and class of flight. No phone calls, it's all right there on the website, no phone calls, no miscommunication. 

NCL has a premium air department and would be happy to book flights based on your specific requests, just not online. But not at BOGO prices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

NCL Air gives you the cheapest rate for them. Once your tickets are assigned, you can contact the airlines to make any upgrades available on the same exact flight that are available. Other than that, you are on that specific flight and no changes. 

As long as they don't book you in Delta Basic Economy or the equivalent on some other airline.

- No changes allowed*

But, if by chance they do and you call the airlines within 24 hours of the flight being ticketed, you "may" at least be able to get seat assignments like we ultimately did on our Cape Town to Atlanta Delta flight. Unfortunately, as other folks have noted on our Jade Roll Call who had waited a day or two, they couldn't, but were instead told by the Delta rep to try to get their seat assignments starting 7 days prior to actually checking into their flight. I don't know how valid that guidance is, but that's my understanding of what the Delta rep told them. 

As a side note, I have found over the years that cruising with different lines is all about "the game". The key is to learn the rules of each particular cruise line you like to cruise with, as they are all different, as soon as you can and make adjustments where needed just in case you want to cruise with them again. Heck, when we first started sailing with HAL back in 2012, it took us 5 cruises before we realized you could refare a cruise if the price had gone down and/or they had added some cool perks after we initially booked the cruise. I know, who knew!! 😂

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OMG!  Having done the Cape Town flight a few times, I couldn't imagine doing it in the back of the plane, let alone not being able to pick my seat ahead of time to be sure I got the best of the worst.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

It's been 75 days for quite some time, and has been clearly laid out in the terms.  If you didn't read the T&C's and were not aware of the deadline, that's on you.

This must be a preemptive "It's not NCL's fault, it's your fault" post.  No one to this point has laid blame anywhere (not even mentioned blame), but, just in case anyone wants to try to blame our beloved NCL, this post will nip that right in the bud.