Should Silversea be concerned about Crystal?

commodoredave

11 hours ago, HPfoodie said:

Just been looking at the Crystal website, which is pretty poor to be honest. And wondered what the difference is between an ‘attentive’ butler as opposed to a ‘junior’ butler. And still not all categories are eligible for butler service. I know we didn’t use our butler too much at all - but it was a luxury we enjoyed. 

The difference may be “Attentive butler service” vs “inattentive butler service.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2023 at 1:03 PM, ak1004 said:

The call the ship "home away from home" and the crew "the extended family"..

Wow!  I must say that had I never sailed with Silversea, I would be hesitant to do so after reading some of these posts about Crystal.  These comments are a little surprising to me since the folks that I have met on Silversea cruises are great, not petty!  Again I say, Wow!  

I love Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal.  They are my favorites.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 1:03 PM, drron29 said:

. Rojaan had to pull out our list of cruises and found he was right.

S.A.L.T bar?   That guy was totally amazing.   Pulling in everyone he knew from Crystal into his working space.   We're walking out of Atlantide, our backs to the bar and he comes running out.

On 2/4/2023 at 2:03 PM, bohaiboy said:

Unfortunately we met many former Crystal employees onboard the Moon.  Many had five + years with Crystal.  If the loyalty of Crystal employees is as strong as it seems, I personally believe many of these folks will head back, creating even more staffing issues.

The ships have been downsized, the Symphony has 606 PAX and the Serenity has 740.  The new itins are mundane nothing special or exotic.  I believe the PAX count is about 20% less than previously.  The pricing previously on Crystal was VERY expensive in my opinion.  The new ones seem to run about $600-700 per person per night for a veranda suite.  The verandas suites are small at 265 SGF including veranda.  Rates do not include air or excursions.

We found the previous food much better than SS has been post covid.  We sailed about 3 months prior to bankruptcy in Dec 2021.  Entertainment and enrichment was far superior to SS, however it also was a much younger crowd.

So only time will tell.  With two ships, itineraries will be very restricted without much choices, so overall I don't see them hurting SS.  The question might arise that the new Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons ships might have a larger impact on SS.  Competition is always good to have.

Well, Russ (CD) will probably head back to Crystal. The CDs oversee entertainment and they are all about that so it makes sense. They have so much on Crystal so there is a lot to manage and a real entertainment job. Just wish SS would realize people want more to do than just sit around, eat and drink and have sandals made. We are big SS fans but the shopping is dismal and has been for years. You need more to do during the day than sit at the Arts Cafe or by the pool. 

Agree in regard to Crystal itineraries. I guess mainstream itineraries have the possibility of attracting more passengers which is what they need to do now. And I totally agree in regard to pricing — they were much more per cabin on a square foot basis…and the veranda cabins were tiny with tiny bathrooms.

I am not sure what is going on with SS with the food. It has been mixed at best. We were on the Dawn last month and it was certainly better than it was last June when it was dismal. But the thruster noise on the Dawn when pulling away from port is shocking or when they anchor. Did they cut corners on insulation in the anchor pocket, ship infrastructure etc.? It sounds like jackhammers if you are on deck 5, 6 or 7, forward of La Dolce Vita! I can only imagine what it sounds like in those suites in front.

Re: competition. Not too concerned about Ritz Carlton because it’s really Marriott and they are not “yachts” despite their marketing. And it would certainly annoy me if I was paying and others were using points. Explora is larger and we’ll see what they do. Atlas—more premium than luxury? Four Seasons might be the real luxury competition.

Has anyone been on Atlas?

6 hours ago, FLRI said:

And it would certainly annoy me if I was paying and others were using points.

As someone with 10+MM Bonvoy (i.e. Marriott Rewards) points, I’m curious why this would bother you?  There are plenty of people sailing for free on SS at any given time using their loyalty rewards.  So, why would it bother you on Ritz, but not SS?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FLRI said:

But the thruster noise on the Dawn when pulling away from port is shocking or when they anchor. Did they cut corners on insulation in the anchor pocket, ship infrastructure etc.? It sounds like jackhammers if you are on deck 5, 6 or 7, forward of La Dolce Vita! I can only imagine what it sounds like in those suites in front.

Interesting we can have different experiences on the same ship.  We were just on the Dawn January 16-30.  It was one of  the smoothest and quietest cruise ships we’ve ever been on in 400+ days of cruising on probably 25+ different ships including three in the Silversea fleet.  Our cabin was on Deck 8 and we never hear the thrushers or the anchor the one time we anchored.  There was one night when the captain warned there might be rough seas. The crew went around and lashed down deck furniture, plants, etc., but if it happened we were never aware of it.  Even our cabin didn’t have the typical squeaking and rattles you frequently hear in a cabin even on relatively calm seas.  

13 hours ago, FLRI said:

Re: competition. Not too concerned about Ritz Carlton because it’s really Marriott and they are not “yachts” despite their marketing. And it would certainly annoy me if I was paying and others were using points. Explora is larger and we’ll see what they do. Atlas—more premium than luxury? Four Seasons might be the real luxury competition.

Yes, you should be concerned about rubbing elbows with people using Marriott points redemption to snag a seven day cruise.  2 million points could cover entry level suite on select itineraries.    It is a very poor choice based upon redemption rate.   Of course, if you have 10MM points, why not?  But you better hurry up and book it because it will soon be 3MM to get a minimal  booking.  Marriott points devalue faster than USD.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

As someone with 10+MM Bonvoy (i.e. Marriott Rewards) points, I’m curious why this would bother you?  There are plenty of people sailing for free on SS at any given time using their loyalty rewards.  So, why would it bother you on Ritz, but not SS?

Isn't it the same with airlines? I never paid for any of my business class flights with Air Canada or Star Alliance, all flights booked with points. I must annoy a lot of people who paid a full price for those flights..

• Like 1

I don't think Silversea has any reason whatsoever to be concerned about Crystal.  I have sailed with Crystal for about 10 years and 17 cruises.  It took me thru Asia, Africa, South Pacific and the MId-East.  along with less far cruises.   I just loved it- with 25 to 30 percent solo supplements and found it affordable with excellent service.  Other than the solo discount nothing was done for solo travelers - I don't care for dance hosts and don't eat at 6pm to be at a "solo group table".  There were few gatherings for solo cruisers.  They only have 2 ships.

I will be on my second Silversea later this year.  The solo activities, spacious staterooms and variety of dining were outstanding.  It was a bit more expensive than the old Crystal.   

The new Crystal has designated forward, window cabins on deck 7 for solo occupancy.  The bathtubs  have been removed.   Those rooms are reasonably priced in some instances but actually high for the limited space.   I just checked what a balcony room (215 sp ft +) would cost me for a Caribbean holiday and it was a ridiculous $11,999.00.   Also, the itineraries released thus far are not interesting and have very few ports.  

At present Crystal has nothing to entice me to sign on.  There are newer ships with more amenities and great food, service and itineraries to experience!!  That said there are those who cannot wait to get on-which are but a small number in the scheme of things!

• Like 5

On 2/13/2023 at 10:14 PM, MsCrystalina said:

I don't think Silversea has any reason whatsoever to be concerned about Crystal.  I have sailed with Crystal for about 10 years and 17 cruises.  It took me thru Asia, Africa, South Pacific and the MId-East.  along with less far cruises.   I just loved it- with 25 to 30 percent solo supplements and found it affordable with excellent service.  Other than the solo discount nothing was done for solo travelers - I don't care for dance hosts and don't eat at 6pm to be at a "solo group table".  There were few gatherings for solo cruisers.  They only have 2 ships.

I will be on my second Silversea later this year.  The solo activities, spacious staterooms and variety of dining were outstanding.  It was a bit more expensive than the old Crystal.   

The new Crystal has designated forward, window cabins on deck 7 for solo occupancy.  The bathtubs  have been removed.   Those rooms are reasonably priced in some instances but actually high for the limited space.   I just checked what a balcony room (215 sp ft +) would cost me for a Caribbean holiday and it was a ridiculous $11,999.00.   Also, the itineraries released thus far are not interesting and have very few ports.  

At present Crystal has nothing to entice me to sign on.  There are newer ships with more amenities and great food, service and itineraries to experience!!  That said there are those who cannot wait to get on-which are but a small number in the scheme of things!

I agree with respect to the recently announced Crystal itineraries. After seeing how boring and pedestrian they are, I put off trying them again in favour of another SS cruise to Japan.

34 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

I agree with respect to the recently announced Crystal itineraries. After seeing how boring and pedestrian they are, I put off trying them again in favour of another SS cruise to Japan.

I suspect the new Crystal is starting out small and easy.  Takes time to contract the whole support infrastructure needed for more complex itineraries.  Also they only have two ships so that limits choices as it is.  

• Like 3

On 1/28/2023 at 11:56 PM, cruiseej said:

They would not be smart business people if they weren't concerned.....    but you better believe SS executives are keeping a close eye on how things go with Crystal's reincarnation. 

I agree 100% on this.  They will pay close attention, just as I am sure they pay close attention to all competitors.

And ultimately, it is probably better to us, the consumer.  If the new Crystal suddenly figures out some new magic touch that no one else has, I am sure that will trickle over to the other lines.

For example: If Crystal starts offering private jet air travel for the same price as business class on the other lines, the other luxury cruise lines would probably start looking into how they are able to do so, and would duplicate it.  Passengers would win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

For example: If Crystal starts offering private jet air travel for the same price as business class on the other lines, the other luxury cruise lines would probably start looking into how they are able to do so, and would duplicate it.  Passengers would win.

Oh, dream on.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

This will cause some issues for Crystal and Mr Lira

Surely these people are bright enough to know that computers are monitored and activity logged - stealing material and IP from your employer is never going to end well

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/court-temporarily-blocks-crystalak-employing-lira-using-silversea-info

Mr Lira’s situation notwithstanding, and it doesn’t sound good for him or Crystal, what is interesting is the little mention that Crystal is not going to offer all-inclusive fares.   If true, or if they’ll offer an add-on package like some other lines, that takes them at least one notch or more lower than the all-inclusive luxury lines like Silversea.  

22 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Mr Lira’s situation notwithstanding, and it doesn’t sound good for him or Crystal, what is interesting is the little mention that Crystal is not going to offer all-inclusive fares.   If true, or if they’ll offer an add-on package like some other lines, that takes them at least one notch or more lower than the all-inclusive luxury lines like Silversea.  

No, Crystal isn't offering the door to door like Silversea, but what do you think they aren't offering that would align with Silversea's port to port? 

25 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

No, Crystal isn't offering the door to door like Silversea, but what do you think they aren't offering that would align with Silversea's port to port? 

Let’s see……limited itineraries, dated ships, not all-inclusive……even port-to-port isn’t going to overcome all those obstacles to becoming a full out competitor to Silversea.  As an aside we booked our first door-to-door cruise while on the Dawn a couple of weeks ago.  For us it worked out great.  We live well within the radius for the limo service and the business airfare was right on what we had just paid for very similar distance flights.  It was kind of a a la carte pick and chose as our friends and cruise partners dropped the limo….for a $200 discount….but left the flights in place.   Several months….like 313 days until our next cruise….so we’ll see how it really works out for us.  

8 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Let’s see……limited itineraries, dated ships, not all-inclusive……even port-to-port isn’t going to overcome all those obstacles to becoming a full out competitor to Silversea.  As an aside we booked our first door-to-door cruise while on the Dawn a couple of weeks ago.  For us it worked out great.  We live well within the radius for the limo service and the business airfare was right on what we had just paid for very similar distance flights.  It was kind of a a la carte pick and chose as our friends and cruise partners dropped the limo….for a $200 discount….but left the flights in place.   Several months….like 313 days until our next cruise….so we’ll see how it really works out for us.  

This is the second time you've posted that Crystal is not all inclusive. I'll ask again, what isn't Crystal offering that Silversea offers on the port to port. The size of cabins or the itineraries or the age of the ships have nothing to do with being all inclusive.

FYI - I was on the Muse for almost 3 weeks in December and there was nothing that equaled the old Crystal except the cabin, which was "better". Yes, that's one person's opinion. Now, will the new Crystal equal or exceed the old Crystal, time will tell.

• Like 2