Should Silversea be concerned about Crystal?

commodoredave

13 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Let’s see……limited itineraries, dated ships, not all-inclusive……even port-to-port isn’t going to overcome all those obstacles to becoming a full out competitor to Silversea. 

Having sailed on the Crystal Symphony July 2008 and enjoyed the Baltics/Russia exploring with them, I did look at the detailed itinerary offerings that are now posted on their new website.  My initial impression was that it was a lots of the "same-old, same-old".  Nothing too much that unique, special or very interesting compared to many of the "same old thing" ports and stops we have done in the past with various cruise lines.  

But, I did find a MUMBAI-SINGAPORE, 13 night, Nov. 8-21, 2023, sailing on the Crystal Symphony that could be of serious interest to fit for a new area of the world where we want to explore.  Silversea does offer a Feb. 11-29, 2024 Mumbai to Singapore, 18 nights, Silver Moon, that is somewhat comparable. This SS India, etc., option is longer, has more port stops, higher price, etc. There are differences, various pro/con factors to consider, but I would seriously compare BOTH good options, if and if.  

My big question?  With nothing "perfect" after the Covid re-start, what will be more predictable and at a higher service level for food, staffing, etc., in comparing the new Crystal versus the more established Silversea??  Where am I more comfortable for the financial risks in putting down the required advance payments?  

Overall, with Crystal only having two ships to cover this very large and diverse world, it is harder to compete against Silversea's larger number of offerings, options and locations.  

Will be watching with interest.  I just tried to call Crystal for more info on the payment requirements/timing on their Mumbai to Singapore late 2023 sailing, but they are only open for calls Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm.  Will try to check back next week.  

What else should I consider in comparing Crystal vs. Silversea for this part of the world on our future, to-do listing?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,097 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

FYI - I was on the Muse for almost 3 weeks in December and there was nothing that equaled the old Crystal except the cabin, which was "better". Yes, that's one person's opinion. Now, will the new Crystal equal or exceed the old Crystal, time will tell.

Yes, everyone has an opinion. Our opinion is that SS has better cabins, more dining options and newer ships and Crystal had better entertainment and activities. Everything else was comparable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, everyone has an opinion. Our opinion is that SS has better cabins, more dining options and newer ships and Crystal had better entertainment and activities. Everything else was comparable. 

I agree with most of what you say.  I had terrific speakers (former Crystal speakers) and wonderful singers on both my SS cruises.  I have 3 more booked.  Crystal's demise was a blessing for us.  We got to experience Silversea (and Regent) and we love both lines.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

But, I did find a MUMBAI-SINGAPORE, 13 night, Nov. 8-21, 2023, sailing on the Crystal Symphony that could be of serious interest to fit for a new area of the world where we want to explore.  Silversea does offer a Feb. 11-29, 2024 Mumbai to Singapore, 18 nights, Silver Moon, that is somewhat comparable. This SS India, etc., option is longer, has more port stops, higher price, etc. There are differences, various pro/con factors to consider, but I would seriously compare BOTH good options, if and if.  

To give another example, we looked at 10 nights Med cruise. Crystal prices start at $6,900 CAD (excursions and flights extra). SS has few cruises around $6,500 CAD (P2P or D2D less air credit). SS price includes excursions and cabins over 300 sqft.

SB has similar cruises around $5,500-6,000 CAD (excursions not included), newer ships and larger cabins.

Also SS and SB have a lot of promotions - we booked a similar 10 nights cruise at $6,700 CAD D2D, including flights. SS and SB have unlimited black caviar.

For me the choice is pretty obvious at this point.

• Like 2

Having sailed on the Crystal Symphony July 2008 and enjoyed the Baltics/Russia exploring with them, I did look at the detailed itinerary offerings that are now posted on their new website.  My initial impression was that it was a lots of the "same-old, same-old".  Nothing too much that unique, special or very interesting compared to many of the "same old thing" ports and stops we have done in the past with various cruise lines.  

My big question?  With nothing "perfect" after the Covid re-start, what will be more predictable and at a higher service level for food, staffing, etc., in comparing the new Crystal versus the more established Silversea??  Where am I more comfortable for the financial risks in putting down the required advance payments?  

Overall, with Crystal only having two ships to cover this very large and diverse world, it is harder to compete against Silversea's larger number of offerings, options and locations.  

Will be watching with interest.  I just tried to call Crystal for more info on the payment requirements/timing on their Mumbai to Singapore late 2023 sailing, but they are only open for calls Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm.  Will try to check back next week.  

What else should I consider in comparing Crystal vs. Silversea for this part of the world on our future, to-do listing?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,097 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

You were on Crystal just once, I believe, and before all inclusive and many other changes. The food got better after your cruise, the enrichment was about the same, the entertainment offerings got better. That being said, that's the old Crystal. We won't know about the new Crystal until they start sailing. I'm encouraged as new things are being announced. Just today I read that the Ambassador Hosts will be back. There's no question that the website and the reservation agents are a work in progress.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bitob said:

I agree with most of what you say.  I had terrific speakers (former Crystal speakers) and wonderful singers on both my SS cruises.  I have 3 more booked.  Crystal's demise was a blessing for us.  We got to experience Silversea (and Regent) and we love both lines.

You're the one that found life after Crystal.😀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Terry, 

The first thing to remember is when Crystal ended in 2022 it was very much different than the Crystal you sailed and I think mainly for the good.

It is inclusive.  Not as inclusive as SS (no included excursions and a few other differences) but it does include items which were not included in 2008.  There is open dining.  There is more dining choice than in 2008.  Some of the venues were updated.  So please keep that in mind.

Some seem to think it will be radically different and that you can't make a decision until it sails. I totally disagree.  As you look at the web site and look at  the date that is in place with a lot more to come I see lots of similarities to Crystal.  Name of restaurants are the same other than one.  Bringing back Tastes which you didn't experience but many of us did an loved to replace the Asian restaurant which got mixed reviews.  

The crew will be very much Crystal. They are not robots. They won't change.

The person running entertainment is not the person from 2008 but the person who has been there the past several years and is busy  working on enrichment and entertainment. Ambassador Hosts return as do a couple offering dance instruction.

The person who developed the shore excursion program has returned.  So has the President..

And many of the society members are returning too.

So while there is a minority of people saying I have to know exactly what it will be like most of us expect it to have a lot in common with the old Crystal. Will it be the same?  Of course not but as I am saying it was already different than 2008.  It evolved and will continue to do so.

I have asked some questions of Crystal that come up on tihis forum and another one and it's interesting that often the answer is we are doing this in the same manner as old Crystal.  As information is added to the website that will become very apparent.

Similarly there was the fear when Crystal came back after COVID that the experience would be a lot different.  Having been on six of those sailings it was not.

I can't compare it to SS as I've done two of their cruises.  I have my views and everyone has there own.

The other thing you do know is he size of the ships. For some they prefer smaller while others prefer larger so you need to figure that out. Larger means more options from my experience across all cruise lines.

Good luck with your decision but I do not believe you need to wait for the restart to decide.

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

You were on Crystal just once, I believe, and before all inclusive and many other changes. The food got better after your cruise, the enrichment was about the same, the entertainment offerings got better. That being said, that's the old Crystal. We won't know about the new Crystal until they start sailing. I'm encouraged as new things are being announced. Just today I read that the Ambassador Hosts will be back. There's no question that the website and the reservation agents are a work in progress.

Super appreciate the great additional information and follow-ups from Keith and Texas Tillie. Very helpful and gives much to consider.  From a timing standpoint, the Silversea option in February 2024 works better for our schedules and interests, but will await the call-back from Crystal to learn more and ask added questions.  

Will keep researching and digging deeper.  Also will look at and consider the pre-cruise options offered for Taj Mahal, Agra & Delhi, etc., by SS and Crystal.  While we have done the Middle East, Botswana/Southern Africa, SE Asia, Australia/NZ, etc., these options for India, Myanmar, etc., require serious considerations for how best to put together the whole "package".  It is not as simple as just going to the Caribbean or Med.

For Keith or any others, we know the Silversea founder is deeply involved in the New Crystal.  But, how deep and solid is his financial commitment, backing and support?  Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidiohas has significant wealth, but he got there by being very smart and covering his "bets" with extreme care.  With Manfredi and Geoffrey Kent as Co-Chairman, is it reported publicly as to if any other major investors are supporting and backing up these borrowing required to buy and fix up these two older Crystal ships?  How long can the Crystal cash-flow support ALL of the major start-up costs and sustain the operational costs for the next two to three years?

If the New Crystal was listed on a major stock exchange with SEC, etc., disclosures required, it would make certain financial background more "transparent".  Right?  Is there any other way to know more for their longer-term financial support and depth? 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,772 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

But, I did find a MUMBAI-SINGAPORE, 13 night, Nov. 8-21, 2023, sailing on the Crystal Symphony that could be of serious interest to fit for a new area of the world where we want to explore.

That was the one that caught my eye too Terry but I think only 5 ports on a 13 nighter is a little sparse for my taste. That's the only thing stopping me from booking. Had they have thrown in a stop, for instance, at the Andaman Islands rather than just sailing by them then the itinerary would have been more enticing. 

For Keith or any others, we know the Silversea founder is deeply involved in the New Crystal.  But, how deep and solid is his financial commitment, backing and support?  Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidiohas has significant wealth, but he got there by being very smart and covering his "bets" with extreme care.  With Manfredi and Geoffrey Kent as Co-Chairman, is it reported publicly as to if any other major investors are supporting and backing up these borrowing required to buy and fix up these two older Crystal ships?  How long can the Crystal cash-flow support ALL of the major start-up costs and sustain the operational costs for the next two to three years?

If the New Crystal was listed on a major stock exchange with SEC, etc., disclosures required, it would make certain financial background more "transparent".  Right?  Is there any other way to know more for their longer-term financial support and depth? 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,772 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

The new Crystal has increased their fares substantially since the fares that had been posted for 2020 for similar itineraries. Since then we have had inflation and Crystal is reducing capacity on the ships. We don't know the principals commitment, for sure, but it seems that they are covering increased expenses with the new posted fares. I'm encouraged as there are any number of execs involved with the new Crystal with years of cruise knowledge. I certainly wouldn't let the financial situation with Crystal stop me from booking the cruises they have already announced. I think they have the start up covered. Now, where they will be in 5 years........

• Like 2

For Keith or any others, we know the Silversea founder is deeply involved in the New Crystal.  But, how deep and solid is his financial commitment, backing and support?  Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidiohas has significant wealth, but he got there by being very smart and covering his "bets" with extreme care.  

I agree with the first part of your last sentence.  After the comma, not so sure.  He is the person that changed the crew on Silversea to about 98% Filipino from one that very much resembled the visible Crystal crew.   And like many passengers today, he had a very bright and wealthy daddy.

The new Crystal has increased their fares substantially since the fares that had been posted for 2020 for similar itineraries. Since then we have had inflation and Crystal is reducing capacity on the ships. We don't know the principals commitment, for sure, but it seems that they are covering increased expenses with the new posted fares. I'm encouraged as there are any number of execs involved with the new Crystal with years of cruise knowledge. I certainly wouldn't let the financial situation with Crystal stop me from booking the cruises they have already announced. I think they have the start up covered. Now, where they will be in 5 years........

Well, inflation wasn't 60% from 2020.. and their customers don't really care that they need to "cover expenses". 

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, inflation wasn't 60% from 2020.. and their customers don't really care that they need to "cover expenses". 

To be fair 2020 fares were never sustainable and reflected a post pandemic world where cruising was recovering 

However there’s no doubt Crystals fares have risen from pre pandemic pricing - and it’s still no clear just what their package will include 

They needed to raise prices and to be honest guests had it very good for a long time - but those times are generally over I’m afraid 

I note Crystals talking about Junior Butlers in entry level rooms - not sure what that will be but have to say we’re living our Silversea Butler for sure 

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

To be fair 2020 fares were never sustainable and reflected a post pandemic world where cruising was recovering 

However there’s no doubt Crystals fares have risen from pre pandemic pricing - and it’s still no clear just what their package will include 

They needed to raise prices and to be honest guests had it very good for a long time - but those times are generally over I’m afraid 

I note Crystals talking about Junior Butlers in entry level rooms - not sure what that will be but have to say we’re living our Silversea Butler for sure 

You are absolutely right about 2020 fares. But I was referring to pre Covid fares. I just checked few bookings we had that we booked in 2019 and the fares now ar around 60% higher for comparable itineraries.

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Maybe a few don't care about covering expenses, but if they want Crystal to be around in 3 years, they'd better. 

I would love Crystal to stay around. I just cannot justify their current prices. 

Per Covid they were 20-25% cheaper than SS and SB. Not because they wanted to be, but because they needed to compensate for older ships and smaller cabins. Now they are 20% more expensive. Even if the new Crystal is as good as the old one, I still don’t see justification for those prices from the customer point of view.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

You are absolutely right about 2020 fares. But I was referring to pre Covid fares. I just checked few bookings we had that we booked in 2019 and the fares now ar around 60% higher for comparable itineraries.

I would love Crystal to stay around. I just cannot justify their current prices. 

Per Covid they were 20-25% cheaper than SS and SB. Not because they wanted to be, but because they needed to compensate for older ships and smaller cabins. Now they are 20% more expensive. Even if the new Crystal is as good as the old one, I still don’t see justification for those prices from the customer point of view.

No, not because they needed to compensate for older ships and smaller cabins – because they were an ego project and their owner didn't care if they made a profit.  So the market will decide if the experience on the New Crystal is justification for the new prices.  You may be right, but you are only one vote – and they will need many hundreds of votes before 'all counties have been heard from.'

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No, not because they needed to compensate for older ships and smaller cabins – because they were an ego project and their owner didn't care if they made a profit.  So the market will decide if the experience on the New Crystal is justification for the new prices.  You may be right, but you are only one vote – and they will need many hundreds of votes before 'all counties have been heard from.'

You might be right about ego project, I don't really know all the details, but the truth is that the ships are still old and the cabins are still small. So the new Crystal has to be better than SS in all other areas to compensate. They need better entertainment, better food and better service. One area that we already know they will not be better is the unlimited black caviar (we know Crystal will be charging for it based on some posts on the Crystal board). Yes, this is just a small part of the equation, and many people couldn't care less, but still. This is considered one of the symbols of true luxury.

Every person is just one vote, and the future will tell. Personally I don't care much about the cabin size, so if the new Crystal proves that it can provide a better overall experience than SS (and/or SB), I will be on board. Right now still waiting.

15 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Terry but I think only 5 ports on a 13 nighter is a little sparse for my taste. That's the only thing stopping me from booking. Had they have thrown in a stop, for instance, at the Andaman Islands rather than just sailing by them then the itinerary would have been more enticing. 

YES, agree with Davey that the offering of five ports is limiting in my viewpoint.  The wider variety of stops is a plus for Silversea in comparing these two potentials.  

Interesting point by Host Jazzbeau about "No, not because they needed to compensate for older ships and smaller cabins – because they were an ego project and their owner didn't care if they made a profit."

From saminina, fascinating about Manfredi and the comments of: "He is the person that changed the crew on Silversea to about 98% Filipino from one that very much resembled the visible Crystal crew.   And like many passengers today, he had a very bright and wealthy daddy."

Comparing costs for pre-Crystal bankruptcy to now can be of value, but maybe not.  Lots of variables at work.  All of these inflation, pricing, etc., comparisons make the "little gray cells" in my brain spin a bit.  For us, the cabin size, caviar, etc., are not the major and dominate questions/considerations.  

Like in a Hollywood "soap opera", there are a wide variety of factors, questions, etc., floating around.  These discussions on this thread have been civil, wide-ranging and interesting.  

Keep it coming!!   Will continue researching and considering the many aspects of importance for us, including timing and longer-term financial backings/security aspects.  Looking forward to learning more.  

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 100,814 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Assume you are aware that they are taking many of those "smaller cabins" and making larger cabins and therefore lowering the guest capacity substantially. Just one vote, but I was on Silversea in Dec. and the cabin was the ONLY place where Silversea was "better" than the old Crystal. Yes, we have to wait and see about the new Crystal.

• Like 1

From a passenger viewpoint, I do not understand the repeated fuss about Crystal ships being so old.  From experience, they appeared in much better condition than any of the older SS ships.  Certainly better maintained.    Looking forward to reading reviews and watching price adjustments.  

Almost too many options in today's market.   New ships coming online.  Old, refurbished ships with a new look returning.    Dated ships with great reputations being tarnished by poor management.   The luxury hotel brands will probably be the only rightful marketers of ultra luxury alongside the Europa ships.

Edited by saminina

Assume you are aware that they are taking many of those "smaller cabins" and making larger cabins and therefore lowering the guest capacity substantially. Just one vote, but I was on Silversea in Dec. and the cabin was the ONLY place where Silversea was "better" than the old Crystal. Yes, we have to wait and see about the new Crystal.

Yes, but those larger cabins (AQUAMARINE) are still almost the same size as SS entry level cabins. And while entry level 215 sqft OV on Crystal are priced around 20% more than 305 sqft OV on SS, the AQUAMARINE are almost 50% more expensive than veranda on SS.

As for who was better - yes, you are just another vote. But if this was really the case, that means that Crystal had a better product and charged 20% less for it. Doesn't really make sense. The market would decide very quickly that Crystal needs to adjust their prices upwards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

As for who was better - yes, you are just another vote. But if this was really the case, that means that Crystal had a better product and charged 20% less for it. Doesn't really make sense. The market would decide very quickly that Crystal needs to adjust their prices upwards.

But, they did have a much better product for less, my vote, you'll find others who agree and some who don't. Crystal's food was better. The service was better. The enrichment and entertainment was much, much better. My opinion - yours is different. I think this horse is sufficiently been beaten to death. Moving on..........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, but those larger cabins (AQUAMARINE) are still almost the same size as SS entry level cabins. And while entry level 215 sqft OV on Crystal are priced around 20% more than 305 sqft OV on SS, the AQUAMARINE are almost 50% more expensive than veranda on SS.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Thankfully all cruise lines are not the same.

Yes the luxury lines have similarities but at the same time many differences.

That's great because not all of us desire the same things.

Yes on average Silversea rooms are larger than Crystal's. That is not debatable. 

At the same time Crystal has several public areas which Silversea does not have.  This includes a wrap around promenade deck where you can take long walks and even runs and one or two Paddle Tennis /Pickle Ball Courts depending on ship and even taking account passenger count larger fitness centers and the ability to offer a far larger set of classes.  They have shuffleboard and table tennis.  

What I am saying is for some the size of the room is important while for others room size isn't so important and they prefer more diversity of public areas and areas outside.  

Because of size Crystal can offer more activities at once daytime and nighttime.

My experience is SS restaurants were more intimate as they were smaller.

My experience is service level on Crystal were better (subjective) and the wait staff in the main restaurant was more refined on Crystal.

My experience is SS's La Terrazia (sp) for breakfast and lunch was a more intimate and formal dining area.  My experience is the cuisine served was more appealing on Crystal.  Unless it changed it seemed like a lot of cold cut trays on SS for that lunch.

So I have given you some fact along with some subjective opinions.

Now some people make their decisions strictly on price. Others make them on other factors with price being there but not number one.

The good news is more than one cruise line can play in the luxury market.

And the good news is what one person thinks is best another person does not.

What's the best designer of clothes. Wha's the best auto maker?  Best city to visit?  Best computer? Best smart phone? Camera?

And the answer is it depends.

There is fact to all of them and their are all the human factors in deciding what is best or works better for someone.

We all come at this differently. Thank goodness because if we didn't there would be maybe one luxury line, one premium and one mass market line.

And why someone has to be right on this is always beyond me.  

Keith

• Like 2