Iona- beautiful ship, just one very wet design flaw! 😱

JG&Lcruisingnewbies

18 hours ago, Kagan_rc said:

We just got off Iona yesterday and had Cabin 12740... in the 2 weeks we never had any water on our Balcony ... had a wet balcony the first night due to rain lol and enjoyed our first Aft Balcony experience...we were next to the Suite cabin and maybe was lucky not being directly under the Pool...

Kevin

Makes sense- the suites at the ends and the ones next to the suites, the deluxe balconies, were fine.
It was the four middle ones that got a drenching. The two right in the middle are the worst as there was absolutely no escape from the water. My cabin, half the balcony was safer than the other half, but still couldn’t escape it 😞

Just my opinion, if anyone wants to book an aft, & weather is likely to be good enough for pool use, I’d book only a suite or a deluxe balcony at the ends if money allows

Otherwise I truely don’t think you’ll get the enjoyment out of a balcony that you should given the extra you pay moving from a window cabin to balcony

£290 price difference for one week, if we were to book exactly the same cruise next year, oct half term, with exactly the same cabin 10740. A not insubstantial 15% extra

given that they have had a while to sort this known issue, and they still haven’t fixed it, despite trying pool water level reduction and pump adjustments, I’m not sure I trust them to get it fixed properly before weather improves next year & its pool weather again. I’m not sure anything short of major work to made sides higher will be enough. My opinion  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Makes sense- the suites at the ends and the ones next to the suites, the deluxe balconies, were fine.
It was the four middle ones that got a drenching. The two right in the middle are the worst as there was absolutely no escape from the water. My cabin, half the balcony was safer than the other half, but still couldn’t escape it 😞

Just my opinion, if anyone wants to book an aft, & weather is likely to be good enough for pool use, I’d book only a suite or a deluxe balcony at the ends if money allows

Otherwise I truely don’t think you’ll get the enjoyment out of a balcony that you should given the extra you pay moving from a window cabin to balcony

£290 price difference for one week, if we were to book exactly the same cruise next year, oct half term, with exactly the same cabin 10740. A not insubstantial 15% extra

given that they have had a while to sort this known issue, and they still haven’t fixed it, despite trying pool water level reduction and pump adjustments, I’m not sure I trust them to get it fixed properly before weather improves next year & its pool weather again. I’m not sure anything short of major work to made sides higher will be enough. My opinion  

Increasing the sides height would mean it would no longer be an infinity pool though, would it not?

43 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Increasing the sides height would mean it would no longer be an infinity pool though, would it not?

Guess which will win, the comfort of passengers in a few cabins or the advertising dream of an infinity pool

• Like 2

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

Guess which will win, the comfort of passengers in a few cabins or the advertising dream of an infinity pool

Maybe the affected cabins could be reduced in price and come with a water warning. And the pigs are fed and ready for flying!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree with you. However they call the hot tubs on the side ‘infinity hot tubs’ and get away with it, so I’m sure they can do it

they need to do something because otherwise they’ll have to tell you aft balconies come with downpours when the suns out 😂 😂 

D54C5E5F-8C57-4089-A64F-61EA85B1BC6B.jpeg

15 hours ago, davecttr said:

Maybe they could advertise the affected cabins as having "a balcony complete with refreshing outdoor shower"...🤔. They could maybe even charge a premium extra for them too then...😂

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

Maybe they could advertise the affected cabins as having "a balcony complete with refreshing outdoor shower"...🤔. They could maybe even charge a premium extra for them too then...😂

Add in a ‘free’ umbrella for the times you don’t want to have a shower, on to a winner 🤔 😂 

Maybe they’ll go with the

‘look, your balcony is bigger for the same price, so you’ll just have to take your chances’ route

1 hour ago, BouncingWheel said:

Wonder if P&O will move into introducing water slides? If the Iona infinity pool and Geiranger port docking design flaws are anything to go by then they could be very interesting🤣

They’re already working on the water slide, but the early designs for the steps up are creating a few temporary difficulties:

image.png.182c495a26393a29e6b9ed03fdee68b9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

• 1 year later...

Hi

Ive just seen this post reference the water affecting certain cabins from the pools on IONA. 

I'm due to cruise next on IONA to Fiords, and in Cabin 12470, has anyone here ever stayed in this cabin and was all ok? 

Regards

I see my post has been resurrected. I wish I could answer your question 💯 Denim but looking at the deck plans I think you will be fine. You are next to the suites on the corner. It was the middle 4 that got wet on deck ten

hopefully someone on can here can confirm

Fwiw I looked at booking an Aft facing cabin for our trip on Arvia that we have departing Sunday. Thought ‘surely they have fixed this issue for the newer ship’

silly me. No. Has exactly the same issue 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

We received a ‘goodwill gesture’ of £150 FCC from P&O regarding our wet balcony

2 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

I see my post has been resurrected. I wish I could answer your question 💯 Denim but looking at the deck plans I think you will be fine. You are next to the suites on the corner. It was the middle 4 that got wet on deck ten

hopefully someone on can here can confirm

Fwiw I looked at booking an Aft facing cabin for our trip on Arvia that we have departing Sunday. Thought ‘surely they have fixed this issue for the newer ship’

silly me. No. Has exactly the same issue 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

We received a ‘goodwill gesture’ of £150 FCC from P&O regarding our wet balcony

We are on Iona at present and the aft infinity pool has been well used, but no sign of any splashing issues. Kids do try to splash the water over the spillage tray, but never succeeded while I was watching.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We are on Iona at present and the aft infinity pool has been well used, but no sign of any splashing issues. Kids do try to splash the water over the spillage tray, but never succeeded while I was watching.

Brilliant!

I hope that means whatever the problem was has been permanently fixed. Thanks for the update 

This is the Pool on Arvia, would think its the same as Iona's, must have been some splashing to get over the 2nd pane of glass or they have a bad leak from where the water falls into.

pool.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kevstir said:

This is the Pool on Arvia, would think its the same as Iona's, must have been some splashing to get over the 2nd pane of glass or they have a bad leak from where the water falls into.

pool.jpg

wow! I definitely don’t remember anything as substantial as this on the iona!

the pool wasn’t even full when the overspills happened. Just full of excitable kids. The water would hit the angled glass and shoot upwards. Acting like a waterfall that likely missed the balconies just below it. They would have had a nice ‘behind the waterfall’ effect 😂

it would happen when the ship was docked too 😳

it was like having a bucket of water dumped on you. The people to the left of us had their cabin attendant mop the balcony floor twice a day. It was a major slip hazard. 

The bit that caught the overspill on the iona aft pool was certainly nothing you could climb into.

when researching the aft of the Arvia quite a few were complaining about the overspill (this would have been her very early days of sailing). How it could happen with this design though, I do not know

1 hour ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

wow! I definitely don’t remember anything as substantial as this on the iona!

the pool wasn’t even full when the overspills happened. Just full of excitable kids. The water would hit the angled glass and shoot upwards. Acting like a waterfall that likely missed the balconies just below it. They would have had a nice ‘behind the waterfall’ effect 😂

it would happen when the ship was docked too 😳

it was like having a bucket of water dumped on you. The people to the left of us had their cabin attendant mop the balcony floor twice a day. It was a major slip hazard. 

The bit that caught the overspill on the iona aft pool was certainly nothing you could climb into.

when researching the aft of the Arvia quite a few were complaining about the overspill (this would have been her very early days of sailing). How it could happen with this design though, I do not know

That scoop is exactly the same on Iona, kids or adults, could force water over the scoop, but only in handfuls and certainly not bucketfuls, and if the sea was rough enough to cause enough water to cascade into the trough and over the scoop, then the pool would most assuredly be closed and the water level reduced to avoid any overspill.

We were on Arvia in Feb in aft cabin 11746 which is one of the outers on the central four beneath the pool.

On most days we'd get spots of water (not an issue as we're in the Caribbean). However on one day in heavy seas 11748 next to us got an absolute soaking, it sounded like a real 'smack' as it landed, fortunately no one was on the balcony.

Having looked at the 'overspill thingy' I'm struggling to see what caused it, perhaps a combination of movement and a large guest jumping in.

We'd have the same cabin again in a heartbeat but not one of the inner two beneath the pool. 

20 hours ago, doog442 said:

Having looked at the 'overspill thingy' I'm struggling to see what caused it, perhaps a combination of movement and a large guest jumping in.

Based on our experiences of Iona last year, the two weaknesses in the design seem to be that at times the "overspill thingy" filled up faster than it could drain, so if there was much movement in the ship then the water rolled up the nice conveniently-angled glass ramp and onto the balconies with a big splosh (especially from the corners if the ship rolled side to side) and that if someone was happily splashing water over the glass pool wall and managed to hit the right diagonal angle, there's not enough distance between the corner of the pool (on the right hand side of photo above) and the side of of the overflow to stop the water overshooting the overspill tray. We saw one little monkey who discovered this loophole and was making the most of it until a staff member caught up with him!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, HappyGiraffe said:

Based on our experiences of Iona last year, the two weaknesses in the design seem to be that at times the "overspill thingy" filled up faster than it could drain, so if there was much movement in the ship then the water rolled up the nice conveniently-angled glass ramp and onto the balconies with a big splosh (especially from the corners if the ship rolled side to side) and that if someone was happily splashing water over the glass pool wall and managed to hit the right diagonal angle, there's not enough distance between the corner of the pool (on the right hand side of photo above) and the side of of the overflow to stop the water overshooting the overspill tray. We saw one little monkey who discovered this loophole and was making the most of it until a staff member caught up with him!

It really is a dreadful flaw - and each time we’ve been on Iona we’ve seen from that deck the deliberate splashing by folk on the pool - and have been with friends on their balconies below as water cascades down. And normal swimming etc in there doesn’t cause this waterfall onto the balconies below. Personally I’d throw the offending splashers and family off the ship at the next port 🤣

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Ok, I loved the Iona. So spacious, fresh, open, tons of windows. She’s beautiful!

but for anyone booking cabins DO NOT BOOK AT THE AFT, facing the wake, in the middle cabins

there is a infinity pool above you. Deck 16 I think.
When people are in the pool water sloshes over the side onto the balconies below & if unlucky, straight onto your head! I’m not talking rain drops, I’m talking a bucket chucked over you sometimes!

next to us on out left their balcony was totally unusable getting a regular drenching. Only half our balcony was safe (balcony was HUGE). To our right, they were fine

we were cabin 10740

its such a daft design flaw. One more people need to be aware of

pic shows aft cabins with infinity pool in the top middle 

F2063721-C7DA-40F9-ADC0-1CCF25F0DA17.jpeg

Sorry for this. But obviously "To infinity and beyond"

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 2:03 PM, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Sorry for this. But obviously "To infinity and beyond"

I appreciate Pixar Jokes. Thanks for the giggle 😂 

also yes I think some  adults would be just as bad in the pool. Especially after they’d had a few. Or 10 

tbh I don’t think kids were doing anything deliberately to see it splash over the edge. Just excitable in the pool