Ventura a worrying review

kalos

35 minutes ago, Dobbers said:

On Ventura, it’s pretty bad trying to get a meal in MDR.  Speciality dining has been fully booked since embarkation and I have honestly never had anything this bad regards waiting times and service in all the years cruising with P&O ☹️
We’re 11 nights away from Caribbean tier, not sure we’ll get there if they don’t sort things out and concentrate on all ships not just the new ones.

Thank you for your report back and lets hope things get better for you .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For balance, we were on Ventura in October and didn’t experience any of these staffing problems. The waits for MDR were about 20mins at 1930 but we did the app waiting and had a drink. Worked really well.

The buffet for breakfast was very busy at 9 mainly due to the ridiculous layout which funnels people to a point in the middle of the serving area. Also I don’t know why they have so many tables for 4 when most (on this cruise) were travelling in 2s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with your comments Wonky, but do not understand why so many insist on a table for 2. We too were on Ventura in October, and despite having booked a table in MDR on the app, when we arrived at reception we were often asked if we minded sharing a table. This for us was never a problem, and feel that with the staffing problems at the moment, if it helps we will always be flexible.

10 minutes ago, Kittyonions said:

but do not understand why so many insist on a table for 2

If you went into a restaurant other than on a ship and they asked if you minded sharing with some random strangers you would think the restaurant was bonkers, so why put up with it at sea.

Then you have the COVID issue that if you share a table and they come down with it then you will be locked in your cabin as ‘close contacts’ for a few days or more.

Then you have to eat at everyone else’s pace, and you get stuck with the starter and soup people.

Then if unfortunately something is wrong with your meal and you would like it replaced will you say anything as it will delay everyone else’s meal.

Then there is the risk that the random strangers will hold some view that you don’t and are gauche enough not to take the hint and so continue.

And some people actually enjoy their partner’s company so don’t feel the need to eat with random strangers.

Shared tables date back to the times when ships were small and cramped and there was no other option. Life has moved on - take a look at the new Virgin ships, they don’t even have any MDRs.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kittyonions said:

I agree with your comments Wonky, but do not understand why so many insist on a table for 2. We too were on Ventura in October, and despite having booked a table in MDR on the app, when we arrived at reception we were often asked if we minded sharing a table. This for us was never a problem, and feel that with the staffing problems at the moment, if it helps we will always be flexible.

I’ve outlined many times why we want a table for 2. Nothing to do with flexibility and frankly, the staffing situation is not our problem. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kittyonions said:

We always like a table for 2.  We are not being anti-social but we don't eat big meals and often just have two courses and prefer to eat at our own pace.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

If you went into a restaurant other than on a ship and they asked if you minded sharing with some random strangers you would think the restaurant was bonkers, so why put up with it at sea.

Then you have the COVID issue that if you share a table and they come down with it then you will be locked in your cabin as ‘close contacts’ for a few days or more.

Then you have to eat at everyone else’s pace, and you get stuck with the starter and soup people.

Then if unfortunately something is wrong with your meal and you would like it replaced will you say anything as it will delay everyone else’s meal.

Then there is the risk that the random strangers will hold some view that you don’t and are gauche enough not to take the hint and so continue.

And some people actually enjoy their partner’s company so don’t feel the need to eat with random strangers.

Shared tables date back to the times when ships were small and cramped and there was no other option. Life has moved on - take a look at the new Virgin ships, they don’t even have any MDRs.

I wouldn’t be too happy if I found we were isolated having had to share a table with others who then developed covid or vice versa for that matter.  

we like a bottle of wine with our meal. What if you’re with others who disapprove? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We prefer a table for 2 after two cruises with obnoxious table companions in MDR. 

Strangely over 30 plus cruises we have never had any obnoxious table companions. We have had some who were too talkative, and other who were too quiet, but we always try to be as inclusive as is possible, even when we miss some of the conversation because of noise or if the person speaks quietly. As for those who hold differing views to mine, that's perfectly OK, I am polite and tolerant enough to understand that not everyone is a right wing Tory.😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Before covid my wife and I were happy to share at breakfast and lunchtime, but we always asked for a table for 2 at dinner, the main reason being, as others have mentioned, that we like to eat at our own pace. However, now covid is here (and seemingly here to stay), it's a table for two at all  times for us.

• Like 5

On 11/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, 9265359 said:

A cruise used to be a very different type of holiday to staying in a hotel and table-sharing was one of those differences. Not all older, smaller ships were cramped. Today's modern ships are sadly (purely imho) now just a floating hotel...

• Like 5

Maybe we're in a minority, but we both actually enjoy sharing a table with others.  Always chose Freedom Dining for the variety of the company, and only on very, very rare occasions did we feel that we'd been better off on another table - and that was usually because of arrogant and rude behaviour towards the staff.

Yes, we do get on very well together (50+ years), and yes we'd be horrified at the idea of sharing a table in a restaurant or hotel, but somehow it was one of those things about cruising that made it different - and we made some very good long-term friends that way.

Covid however has changed that, and I fully appreciate that there are a lot of issues around that which make table sharing potentially very risky.  It's a great shame.  You could say the same about Norovirus, but sufferers were usually nowhere near a dining table!

• Like 9

As one of the previous posters has said, it's not our problem regarding staff shortages.

Cruise lines are not offering discounts to us due to delays or shortages etc.

I am convinced this is a cost cutting exercise throughout the industry and nothing to do with staff shortages, they may have to train new staff, but there are enough people out there to fill the requirement.

We need to stop taking the British attitude to things and start complaining (to the companies, not staff)

Also, has to be a table for two for us, the day we returned home from our cruise in September, I came down with Covid, I haven't a clue where i caught it, but we shared a table a couple of nights before and who knows if someone passed it on, or caught it from me?

1 hour ago, Tony1878 said:

As one of the previous posters has said, it's not our problem regarding staff shortages.

Cruise lines are not offering discounts to us due to delays or shortages etc.

I am convinced this is a cost cutting exercise throughout the industry and nothing to do with staff shortages, they may have to train new staff, but there are enough people out there to fill the requirement.

We need to stop taking the British attitude to things and start complaining (to the companies, not staff)

Also, has to be a table for two for us, the day we returned home from our cruise in September, I came down with Covid, I haven't a clue where i caught it, but we shared a table a couple of nights before and who knows if someone passed it on, or caught it from me?

Check out the latest Feefo ratings for P&O..! Not exactly overwhelmingly good 😳

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

A cruise used to be a very different type of holiday to staying in a hotel and table-sharing was one of those differences. Not all older, smaller ships were cramped. 

Those ships did not have the space to set aside for dining rooms large enough to avoid table sharing. Short of space = cramped.

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

Today's modern ships are sadly (purely imho) now just a floating hotel...

Well yes! And that's why the head of the non-sailing bits of all cruise ships has the title 'Hotel General Manager'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Those ships did not have the space to set aside for dining rooms large enough to avoid table sharing. Short of space = cramped.

Well yes! And that's why the head of the non-sailing bits of all cruise ships has the title 'Hotel General Manager'.

The main dining rooms of today's modern ships still require table-sharing, even if they have more tables for 2...

7 hours ago, Britboys said:

The main dining rooms of today's modern ships still require table-sharing, even if they have more tables for 2...

No, the only reason they are still included on new ships is that some people still want them. 

It would be perfectly easy to fit out any of the new ships with no sharing tables, and it takes no more staff time as the individual tables tend to served in groups.

14 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Hotel General Manager is a relatively recent title. They used to be Executive Pursers.

Most likely because as ships have simply become floating 'hotels' then whether the hotel is on land or doing it's regular weekly circular trip from A to A is irrelevant, and the skills needed for the role are the same.

• Like 1