Tell Me I'm Not Crazy

Fla Mike

Lovely and I just got off a fantastic cruise on Celebrity Edge and are thinking about next November 2023 already, as we have two RCCL cruises booked for Feb and May 2022.

We did both a Divina and an Meraviglia cruise within the last year, and, well the Divina cruise was one of the best cruises we ever had, but, the Meraviglia was  the exact opposite.

Service was so bad in the MDR with a server actually yelling at us, we vowed never, ever to cruise MSC again. (in fairness the Maître d', did try very had to correct the problem) 

Never say never...right?

I can do a aft facing Aurea Suite on the Seashore for less than a Sunset Veranda on Celebrity Silhouette. All in on both.

The Seashore looks drop dead gorgeous, just thinking I'll be sorry in the end.

I also know first hand the problems with MSC shoreside Customer Service.

I booked those Royal cruises as the prices were right and it has been a few years since we have been on Royal, but I'm also thinking after those two I'll have had my fill of kids for a while.

So, tell me I'm not crazy if I book this again???

If the prices were similar, I'd go with Celebrity over MSC.  If there's a big price difference, I'd pick MSC.  It mostly boils down to the cost, in my view.

For me at least, MSC usually offers much better pricing than Celebrity, but not always.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stockjock said:

If the prices were similar, I'd go with Celebrity over MSC.  If there's a big price difference, I'd pick MSC.  It mostly boils down to the cost, in my view.

Exactly the same. I like Celebrity a lot, but usually they fail to compete with MSC prices. If it would be almost the same I would choose Celebrity. Just not have seen this for years, so I am happy with MSC. 

The seashore trumps an S class on X in this case only because Aurea is the equivalent of Aqua class. So you’re getting more for your money in the thermal access, my time dining, priority embarkation, etc. Seashore is the second best ship type I’ve been on, only topped by Edge class. You won’t be disappointed with the ship especially the aft Aurea with the wrap around balcony. It is a beautiful view. Now as far as service goes, we’ve lowered our expectations for MSC sailings(unless YC) and don’t expect as much and we end up not being dissatisfied. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stockjock said:

For me at least, MSC usually offers much better pricing than Celebrity, but not always.

Never gone on X myself, I'm comparing only from video reviews from their ships with my MSC experience, but I need to agree. MSC is becoming just "another one" these days, even though I remain enjoying their product by the most part. X is retaining its "glamour" from the past, even though some novelty with the Edge class. I used to see MSC as an X lite experience. Now it's starting to be more like an RCI+ experience than an X lite. To each, their own. If the price is similar I'd recommend going with X. Problem is: Very rarely X is similar priced to MSC.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Lovely and I just got off a fantastic cruise on Celebrity Edge and are thinking about next November 2023 already, as we have two RCCL cruises booked for Feb and May 2022.

We did both a Divina and an Meraviglia cruise within the last year, and, well the Divina cruise was one of the best cruises we ever had, but, the Meraviglia was  the exact opposite.

Service was so bad in the MDR with a server actually yelling at us, we vowed never, ever to cruise MSC again. (in fairness the Maître d', did try very had to correct the problem) 

Never say never...right?

I can do a aft facing Aurea Suite on the Seashore for less than a Sunset Veranda on Celebrity Silhouette. All in on both.

I booked those Royal cruises as the prices were right and it has been a few years since we have been on Royal, but I'm also thinking after those two I'll have had my fill of kids for a while.

Just got off the Seashore last month.  My advice for the Seashore (or MSC in general) is mortgage the farm and book the Yacht Club.  The YC is truly an entirely different product than being outside the YC with amazing service, dedicated restaurant, pool deck, buffet, and terrific lounge.

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tierun said:

Seashore is the second best ship type I’ve been on, only topped by Edge class.

Actually, we liked the Divina more than The Edge.

Don't get me wrong Edge was beautiful, and the food and service were above average, but I'm getting the feeling X is trying to be something it is not.

They seem to be trying to appeal to a "youngerish" crowd. Well heeled "DINKS", but the on our Edge sailing, ( 4 nighter) was average age, I'm guessing mid 60's. Which is where I am.

I'm also afraid that MSC may pick up some stragglers from Carnival since Carnival has changed their booze policy again, making it harder still to skirt their drink limit. Our last Carnival cruise in May was the last, bargain basement prices bring bargain basement crowds.

24 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

If the price is similar I'd recommend going with X. Problem is: Very rarely X is similar priced to MSC.

Very true...

This would be a 4 night cruise on either ship:

MSC Aurea aft wrap suite is $400.00 pp less than a Concierge level Sunset (aft) Verandah on X.

MSC Standard Mid Level  Fantastica balcony is $350.00 pp less than Standard Verandah on X.

2 hours ago, Tierun said:

Now as far as service goes, we’ve lowered our expectations for MSC sailings(unless YC) and don’t expect as much and we end up not being dissatisfied. 

That is what I need help with, as I mentioned up front, service on our Meraviglia cruise was confrontational at the very least.

1 hour ago, Fla Mike said:

Don't get me wrong Edge was beautiful, and the food and service were above average, but I'm getting the feeling X is trying to be something it is not.

They seem to be trying to appeal to a "youngerish" crowd. Well heeled "DINKS", but the on our Edge sailing, ( 4 nighter) was average age, I'm guessing mid 60's. Which is where I am.

I'm also afraid that MSC may pick up some stragglers from Carnival since Carnival has changed their booze policy again, making it harder still to skirt their drink limit. Our last Carnival cruise in May was the last, bargain basement prices bring bargain basement crowds.

Very true...

MSC Aurea aft wrap suite is $400.00 pp less than a Concierge level Sunset (aft) Verandah on X.

MSC Standard Mid Level  Fantastica balcony is $350.00 pp less than Standard Verandah on X.

That is what I need help with, as I mentioned up front, service on our Meraviglia cruise was confrontational at the very least.

Just a 4 nights cruise and the difference is noticeable, no surprise! I'd go on MSC in that case... And, if a balcony is not that important for you on such a little getaway, why not to go with an Yacht Club inside, if any is available. Perhaps you'd have the best of 2 worlds: The X level service on an MSC cruise ship you also enjoy!...

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, Fla Mike said:

Your not crazy. You are intuitive. You know full well that a great cruise might never be repeated the next time you board. Similarly the odds are the same that a real rotten cruise will be remembered but never occur again. That is what is so great about cruising. The next cruise has such great potential and expectation. Changes occur every cruise.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2022 at 12:33 PM, Fla Mike said:

We have been on Meraviglia in YC and loved it and are now considering a non YC family cruise. Just wondering if your issues were just in the MDR or elsewhere as well? 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:53 PM, Fla Mike said:

.....I can do a aft facing Aurea Suite on the Seashore for less than a Sunset Veranda on Celebrity Silhouette. All in on both.....

.....So, tell me I'm not crazy if I book this again???

You are crazy, unless you go Yacht Club....any other experience, including Aurea, will not cut it!....trust us. 😉

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:53 PM, Fla Mike said:

Never say never...right?

You are crazy.

I’m on the Seascape and being nickeled and dimed to death.

example: in Valencia we are docked in an industrial section. Ticket for the half hour shuttle is $13pp RT.  Walking is not a choice.

in Barcelona the shuttle was $9 pp so 2 people should grab a taxi.

Market food is pretty bad. Butchers Cut meal is $110 pp: outrageous.

THÉ SEASCAPE LACKS MOVIES, LIBRARY, CULTURAL EVENTS BUT THE SHOWS ARE VERY GOOD INDEED. But overall Celebrity Daily activités are more up my alley. Trivia is better on Celebrity.

Good thing if you drink tea: although generic, they pour very hot water OVER THE TEABAG! I’ve never been disappointed in a cup of tea.

The Vendi gelato/MSC, is worth the extra charge, it is mythically fantastic.

i think this MSC crew on the Seascape is more friendly & helpful than the Celebrity staff.  The passengers on MSC are a bigger cultural mix.

OKAy, that’s just IMHO.

On 11/16/2022 at 5:33 PM, Fla Mike said:

Very true...

We were in Concierge on X one time and got very little for the « extra » charge..early boarding, for example.

Thanks for all your thoughts and replies...

We are not YC people, we have done upper level suites on other lines and do not see a cost benefit to it. although I see why it appeals to most.

I'm actually having a hard time justifying Aurea, but that is the only way to get an aft facing balcony on Seashore. And that is really our priority in cruising these days.