Anyone else book Venezia today?

Cherries Jubilee

11 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Princes cruises which is part of the Carnival corporation sails out of the Brooklyn terminal late august to October 

new next year, MSC will sailing out of the brooklyn terminal also year round. They are going to be lots of competition out of NYC for year round sailings with Carnival, Royal, Norwegian and MSC 

That's awesome. The competition is good. I am booked in the summer but I usually prefer to book my vacations Dec - Jan so I can get away from the cold. It's nice now to have a lot of options. Only fear is that snowstorm will likely affect a few of these cruises.

Does anyone have any experience with booking a spring break time-frame cruise for 12 days (regarding the amount of kids)? I typically cruise in Jan/Feb but because Th Venzia will be out of New York, I'd like to wait till a little later so it can warm up a bit. Thoughts? 

2 hours ago, Bers said:

Does anyone have any experience with booking a spring break time-frame cruise for 12 days (regarding the amount of kids)? I typically cruise in Jan/Feb but because Th Venzia will be out of New York, I'd like to wait till a little later so it can warm up a bit. Thoughts?

If it coincides with Public school spring breaks there will be TONS of kids. I WOULD NOT SAIL the first two weeks of April. DON'T DO IT.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

Princes cruises which is part of the Carnival corporation sails out of the Brooklyn terminal late august to October 

new next year, MSC will sailing out of the brooklyn terminal also year round. They are going to be lots of competition out of NYC for year round sailings with Carnival, Royal, Norwegian and MSC 

As best I've experienced, as someone who lives on West 49th Street in Manhattan, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity always sails out of New Jersey; Norwegian always sails out of Manhattan west midtown; however, Carnival has sailed out of both Manhattan or Brooklyn over the years.  Cunard and Princess have sailed from Brooklyn.  It is interesting that MSC sails out of Brooklyn, but I am not surprised.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bers said:

I've noticed that the Thanksgiving, Christmas, NYE, President's Week, and Spring Break trips are decidedly not school break friendly. If you want to go on any of those trips it will require an extra 4-5 days out of school for kids. There will always be kids around those times but less since its not dead on with the school breaks. 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 1:35 PM, Cherries Jubilee said:

Did you enjoy it? Would you sail her again?

Meraviglia is a stunningly beautiful ship, but can feel crowded when at capacity. It is also quite inward facing. The  promenade design funnels everybody through the center of the ship (like a Royal Caribbean ship, with the royal promenade). It also does not have an outdoor promenade area like a vista ship.

HOWEVER... you have more pools, and the Yacht Club is superior to the Havana area. Havana is great (DW and I love it), but it does not have a private restaurant, butler service, and covered pool. 

Meraviglia is roughly the same size as an Excel ship, so at times it can (and does) feel like you are cruising with 5000 people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UPNYGuy said:

Meraviglia is a stunningly beautiful ship, but can feel crowded when at capacity. It is also quite inward facing. The  promenade design funnels everybody through the center of the ship (like a Royal Caribbean ship, with the royal promenade). It also does not have an outdoor promenade area like a vista ship.

HOWEVER... you have more pools, and the Yacht Club is superior to the Havana area. Havana is great (DW and I love it), but it does not have a private restaurant, butler service, and covered pool. 

Meraviglia is roughly the same size as an Excel ship, so at times it can (and does) feel like you are cruising with 5000 people. 

The Meraviglia's layout reminds me more of Royal's Quantum Class. 

2 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

Thank you for this! I’m trying to find a summer cruise for my family and I don’t like to repeat ships so Meraviglia is a contender. There aren’t as many options when trying to leave from NY/NJ but I really don’t want to have to fly to a ship again this year. There are a lot of us and it would just be easier to hop in an Uber and get on the ship.

I saw this ship was sailing out of NYC so it intrigued me, and the prices are pretty cheap.  We are in NJ so we are close.  We've sailed NCL out of NYC our last two cruises and in the past sailed on the Horizon out of NYC which we loved (one of our favorite cruises!).  There is precious little about this ship here on CC and the review section shows pretty much nothing about the ship.  The cruiser reviews don't paint a pretty picture, but they are somewhat old and sail out of Asia.  I'll have to look for some YouTube videos to see what the ship is all about.   There's a couple of 9 day cruises that might work for us.  Getting two full weeks off is not a big deal for me, but my wife is at a newish job so might not be able to get 2 full weeks off.

19 minutes ago, steveknj said:

There is precious little about this ship here on CC and the review section shows pretty much nothing about the ship.

I'm not sure what you're expecting considering the circumstances. The prior reviews are basically irrelevant since it was Costa's Chinese division so when Carnival sails the ship it's going to be 180 degrees different. I think the relevant research and decision making process is to view the handful of excellent videos of the vessel to understand what Costa did differently with the Vista Class ship and also continue to read up on what additions and changes Carnival will be making. One of the very major changes is how the lido deck is layed out. Cruiseships designed for the Europeans and Asian markets tend to have main pool decks that are and/or can be covered for year round use. Besides the Spirit 

Class that's a different ship design philosophy for Carnival. As someone mentioned it does somewhat make for a more enclosed feeling but whether that's good or bad is a personal preference. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not sure what you're expecting considering the circumstances. The prior reviews are basically irrelevant since it was Costa's Chinese division so when Carnival sails the ship it's going to be 180 degrees different. I think the relevant research and decision making process is to view the handful of excellent videos of the vessel to understand what Costa did differently with the Vista Class ship and also continue to read up on what additions and changes Carnival will be making. One of the very major changes is how the lido deck is layed out. Cruiseships designed for the Europeans and Asian markets tend to have main pool decks that are and/or can be covered for year round use. Besides the Spirit 

Class that's a different ship design philosophy for Carnival. As someone mentioned it does somewhat make for a more enclosed feeling but whether that's good or bad is a personal preference. 

Not knowing ANYTHING about this ship, I wasn't expecting ANYTHING and I didn't really know the history of this ship.  I assumed it was new, but apparently not, but I guess it's just a redesigned Costa ship?  I'm not familiar with Costa either (other than the major accident the ship had some years back).  That's why I came here, hoping for some more info about it.  I was surprised that the CC Review had little to nothing about it, but I guess that's because it's being redone and whatever would have been there might be irrelevant.  I'll do some more research online before I book anything. 

23 minutes ago, steveknj said:

Not knowing ANYTHING about this ship, I wasn't expecting ANYTHING and I didn't really know the history of this ship.  I assumed it was new, but apparently not, but I guess it's just a redesigned Costa ship?  I'm not familiar with Costa either (other than the major accident the ship had some years back).  That's why I came here, hoping for some more info about it.  I was surprised that the CC Review had little to nothing about it, but I guess that's because it's being redone and whatever would have been there might be irrelevant.  I'll do some more research online before I book anything. 

Here maiden voyage was March, 2019 so it sailed for about one year until the pandemic shutdown. It was exclusively for the Chinese market so you'll be hard-pressed to find anything about it during it's first year of cruises.  She started up sailing again from Turkey this past May, so for all intents and purposes she's had passengers for less than two years.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Just booked the maiden sailing out of NYC. All the Terrazza cabins were sold out, so I grabbed one of the square inside cabins on deck 2. 4 days? I'll be fine with one of the large square inside. I usually go Havana (or Terrazza on the Venezia sailing I have in October).

12 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

Just booked the maiden sailing out of NYC. All the Terrazza cabins were sold out, so I grabbed one of the square inside cabins on deck 2. 4 days? I'll be fine with one of the large square inside. I usually go Havana (or Terrazza on the Venezia sailing I have in October).

i guess that is why they are not switching everyone yet. they want to sell out all of the good cabins and leave the crappy one to those with existing bookings 

i am on the same sailing, been booked it since the summer and now i have a tbd cabin 😞

8 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i guess that is why they are not switching everyone yet. they want to sell out all of the good cabins and leave the crappy one to those with existing bookings 

i am on the same sailing, been booked it since the summer and now i have a tbd cabin 😞

I would have booked a Terrazza if available

On 11/16/2022 at 8:04 AM, JOHN 57 said:

we are sailing 29 September-14 October, could not pass up the price offered by Carnival for 15 days.

We just booked this same cruise today. We are so excited for a longer cruise. When I checked for this cruise in the "roll call" section, no one posted anything yet. I believe you, (John) posted some stuff on the the October roll call section. Since this cruise actually starts on September 29th, I assumed it might be in the September section, but maybe not. I'm not 100% sure. Either way, this is going to be a great cruise! 15 nights! Did anyone notice how late this boat stays in Aruba? 

glad to hear from somebody.  Yes, I posted in October section, but that is that.  Anyway, we are going 29-14 October.  We could not pass up the offer of $500 for both of us due to VIP.

Regarding your question of Aruba 0900-2200.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

16 minutes ago, Bigmac66 said:

We just booked this same cruise today. We are so excited for a longer cruise. When I checked for this cruise in the "roll call" section, no one posted anything yet. I believe you, (John) posted some stuff on the the October roll call section. Since this cruise actually starts on September 29th, I assumed it might be in the September section, but maybe not. I'm not 100% sure. Either way, this is going to be a great cruise! 15 nights! Did anyone notice how late this boat stays in Aruba? 

Looking forward to seeing you on roll call.