Masks Required for Passengers on Australia Cruises

JT1962

28 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I hope this isn't a more wide-spread return to such things.

Indeed! I don't see this happening in the US but if it does for some reason, hopefully, a refund option will be available for those who don't want to participate in a masked cruise vacation. No wonder they were giving away free AU cruises super hard lol, yeah, no thanks.   

• Like 9

Not surprised. Australia has been particularly weird and stringent about their virus policies, which combined with asinine flight prices, has kept me from using the cruise deals from there. It's a bucket list destination for me, but until that mess settles way the heck down, it's a hard pass for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wouldn’t bother me one bit if they did reinstate mask and vaxed only policies! Our group of 6 got off Magic from an 8 day southern Caribbean cruise. All are vaxed and double boosted and are in the 60-80 age group. Despite stringent precautions, my DH and one other in our group got Covid, one tested positive Sunday and one Monday. No telling how many others got it.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

Wouldn’t bother me one bit if they did reinstate mask and vaxed only policies! Our group of 6 got off Magic from an 8 day southern Caribbean cruise. All are vaxed and double boosted and are in the 60-80 age group. Despite stringent precautions, my DH and one other in our group got Covid, one tested positive Sunday and one Monday. No telling how many others got it.

This does beg the question, though: how severe were their symptoms? If equivalent to a cold, would you want masks and restrictions to return for such symptoms? 

• Like 4

On 11/20/2022 at 2:34 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

This does beg the question, though: how severe were their symptoms? If equivalent to a cold, would you want masks and restrictions to return for such symptoms? 

I would, because even a mild case of covid can cause permanent damage/long covid. Colds don't do that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Bostwick girl said:

Did your group mask indoors? Asking because I am going on a cruise in a few days and trying not to catch covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, neongoddess said:

Did your group mask indoors? Asking because I am going on a cruise in a few days and trying not to catch covid.

If this is a serious question at this point in time, your best consideration is to request a refund and remain home.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Bostwick girl said:

Edited by RenoNanaOz

20 hours ago, neongoddess said:

Yes we did mask in public areas, and off the ship in Aruba, Curaçao and Grand Turk. However my DH didn’t get off the ship in either of those places. Matter of fact, he stayed in the cabin sitting on the balcony most of the time.

Edited by Bostwick girl
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, the 80 year old friend’s case was just about like a bad cold and he was over it in a couple of days. On the other hand, my DH has a pretty bad case, still going on 10 days now. Running high fever, coughing, nauseated off and on, extremely tired. His doctor says just rest, drink fluids and take Tylenol. He’s really just miserable, like a bad cold, made worse because he has kidney disease and can’t take anything but Tylenol which does nothing for him. And I really don’t care if I have to wear a mask or not, nor does it matter to me if you do or don’t. I’m just saying there’s been a lot more cases now that unvaxed and testing is no longer required. Didn’t want to start a big discussion, we’ve all been there, done that, just stating my opinion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

Well, the 80 year old friend’s case was just about like a bad cold and he was over it in a couple of days. On the other hand, my DH has a pretty bad case, still going on 10 days now. Running high fever, coughing, nauseated off and on, extremely tired. His doctor says just rest, drink fluids and take Tylenol. He’s really just miserable, like a bad cold, made worse because he has kidney disease and can’t take anything but Tylenol which does nothing for him. And I really don’t care if I have to wear a mask or not, nor does it matter to me if you do or don’t. I’m just saying there’s been a lot more cases now that unvaxed and testing is no longer required. Didn’t want to start a big discussion, we’ve all been there, done that, just stating my opinion.

I'm sorry your DH is suffering.  I hope he recovers soon.  Covid sucks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

Hope everyone is feeling better soon. Jerry and I live a pretty isolated life, masking up at stores. Vax x 5, healthy and athletic. Haven't had a cold for decades. We did four cruise this year. First in March, 65% capacity. Wore masks indoors off the ship and stayed away from other on ship, sanitized on ship, no masks. Shows not crowded. Crew served food in buffet. Second cruise in May 75% capacity, we did not mask on ship, but off ship indoors we did. I felt symptomatic on the way home, had the equivalent of a bad cold and fatigue. Jerry got it from me at home and had a slight cold a few days. Cruises 3 and 4 in Sept/Oct (B2) we were one of the few that wore masks indoors at all times, on and off ship. Stayed healthy that time.

We are retired docs, and I see other physicians in stores, etc. unmasked. For us, masking most places is a small inconvenience, but I can sympathize that one that might have to wear it all day and shun all socialization may feel differently. Sadly, COVID is here to stay for the foreseeable future, and it doesn't seem to affect all equally. At the grocery yesterday, I ran into a former (unmasked) patient who was concerned about traveling b/c his wife is diabetic, got COVID at church, and had a lot of problems. He is worried about his brother, in his late eighties, multiple health problems, who has never stopped socializing and never wore a mask. He got vaxed, but no other precautions. I certainly want to protect others, but I have to admit, if I were his age and had health issues I would just want to enjoy the time I had left and not be a recluse. 

It seems like we just have to decide the best way to take precautions for our situation without having life come to a standstill. If I want to cruise, or do any other optional activity, I am happy to follow the rules they have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2022 at 4:04 PM, Bostwick girl said:

Didn’t want to start a big discussion, we’ve all been there, done that, just stating my opinion.

Oh, no worries, I was just curious, because there is obviously a huge variety of opinions of what could be considered a "useful" response to the resurgence that seems to be happening.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:22 PM, Bostwick girl said:

Sorry to hear they got sick. If they were all vaxxed and boosted makes me wonder how they got it tho. 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sorry to hear they got sick. If they were all vaxxed and boosted makes me wonder how they got it tho. 🤔

Apparently the masks weren't too effective either. It's all an illusion of safety. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 4:22 PM, Bostwick girl said:

I was an early advocate of mask and vaccines but after three years there is no evidence that either stop the spread. I hope they do help and I personally got use to wearing a mask and got my vaccines but stopped after three. Right now, China is having a record-breaking outbreak but thankfully, it looks like the virus has lost most of its sting. The most recent statistic I read indicates most deaths are among the vaccinated, hopefully this is because of their age and preexisting conditions but honest research needs to be done on this.

• Like 1