10:55 am flight From Barcelona

horseymike

First, and I think you heard this before, docking at 6am doesn't mean getting off at 6:05. 

Second,  for flights direct back to the US, security is more extensive,  so you need to allow more time.

Given that, I think it a reasonable change you make the flight. But what happens if they move the flight earlier,  like maybe 10am. This seems common...planes arrive early in the morning and they work to keep them on the ground the minimum time before sendthem back to the US.

• Like 2

I have gone in and out of Barcelona on flights to Paris and to San Francisco.  Agree just because ship due in at 6am, does not mean the ship arrives on time and it does take time to clear the ship.  Depends on day of the week as well especially in Europe.   Security in Europe on flights to the USA and Israel are very tight.      

Have you checked with the cruise line on what is the earliest you should book a flight for this cruise.  They generally advise passengers if asked.

Flight schedules do change, we once arrived at the airport in Barcelona thinking we had a couple of hours only to find the flight time had been moved up much to our surprise.  

• Like 1

Do not give them your luggage the night before. Find out the night before what exit will be used and just go there with your own luggage at around 05.30. You will find that many people go down this route. Taxi to the airport will not be a problem. As long as your flight leaves as scheduled, you should not have a problem.   

• Like 2

Not really totally relevant as it was in a different city and pre-Covid, but we once had a great airline roundtrip offer available between Newark and Copenhagen. The return flight was scheduled at 9 AM. Both the cruise line (Princess) and our TA told us this was too early. We took the deal, but flew out the following morning heeding their advice. When the questionnaire for luggage tags was handed out, DW noticed that there was a tag for Continental flights at 9 AM. I then looked, and not only was she correct, but there was one for flights before 9 AM.

The good news is the airport is pretty close and it won't take long to get there.  

We will be doing a disembark in Barcelona for our next trip.  I just checked and see we have an 11:45 flight.  

• Like 1

There are two issues, 1.  When can you debark and 2. How long to get transport to the airport.  As to the first, assuming your ship docks on time they will likely start express debarkation (folks that carry all of their own luggage) within an hour of getting the gang plank in place.  Also keep in mind that it is a pretty long hike from the ship through the long gang plank system used at Barcelona, into the terminal, down the escalator (or elevator) and out the door.  At that point you might face a long queue for a taxi which also adds time.  But your likelihood of making it to the airport by 8:30 is pretty good.  At that point, who knows.  European airports have had lots of problems (often due to staff shortages).  Personally, I would want to be at the airport about 3 hours prior to my flight and even 2 1/2 should normally suffice.  

On the other hand, some would suggest that the best course of action is to spend a night or two in Barcelona (a terrific tourist city) which makes it much easier to control when you get to BCN.

Hank

• Like 2

13 hours ago, horseymike said:

Hi Everyone,

For those who have cruised in Europe, if the ship docks at 6:00 am what are the chances of making a 10:55 flight from Barcelona back to Atlanta ?

Pretty fair - realizing that you will want to get to the airport no later than 8:15 or so.  I would prefer a leisurely debarkation which would give me a day in Barcelona and, perhaps, a wider selection of flights the next day.

• Like 2