P&O cancellation / Medical questionnaire

Cpot

2 hours ago, niltava42 said:

This is the question:

image.png.79e34706c936eca112817ed28c56146d.png

I would imagine that the vast majority of cruisers will have had at least one of those in the previous 10 days. I would imagine half the crew would have as well! Incidentally can ANYONE explain what the symptoms of a cough are, besides a cough. It just shows how ridiculous P&O are, treating everyone with disdain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I would imagine that the vast majority of cruisers will have had at least one of those in the previous 10 days. I would imagine half the crew would have as well! Incidentally can ANYONE explain what the symptoms of a cough are, besides a cough. It just shows how ridiculous P&O are, treating everyone with disdain.

It is just so badly written, to the point of pure nincompoopishness.

To be denied baording because you admitted to a having a runny nose 9 days prior is just stupid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

How do you find Q&A with Adam  Edinburgh on P&O web site

Here you go,  Halfway down after the partnership with HE blurb:

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-insurance

I'm currently travelling again, this time for a happy reason.  My aunt is now back home after her extended hospital stays with all treatment completed so I'm going to stay with her for a few days.  I will monitor my emails and these boards for updates but unless anything major happens will not be doing anything in the matter until next week.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm currently travelling again, this time for a happy reason.  My aunt is now back home after her extended hospital stays with all treatment completed so I'm going to stay with her for a few days.  I will monitor my emails and these boards for updates but unless anything major happens will not be doing anything in the matter until next week.

Glad to know that your Aunt is finally back home. Seems as if she has used up most of her nine lives in the last few months! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you  don't know how I missed it.

I note he studiously avoided questions and answers about pre cruise  :- covid , covid symptoms or covid contacts.

1 hour ago, Pippa04 said:

Have to give credit to the genius who came up with the idea of taking thousands of pounds from people for a "cruise" and then just not allowing them on the ship!  Wish I'd thought of it...

Indeed; Peckham Springs comes to mind.

Mange tout!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 8:42 PM, JDB78 said:

I wouldn't say they encourage you to lie. Think we just live in different times now. We're used to having minor coughs or colds and ploughing on still turning up for work, doing your shopping etc. Unfortunately Covid has changed all that and think there is an expectation now that people will be responsible and not be in close contact with people if they think they might have a virus. Also companies have a responsibility to keep people 'safe'. I know the measures are pointless but they have to be seen to be at least going through the motions. The last thing cruise companies accusations that they are irresponsible and that cruising is not safe.

You could say that well P&O should do the right thing and give a refund. Then you run into the possibility that people could just effectively cancel their holiday 2 days before and expect a refund. 'Yeah sorry we're not coming, I've got a cold, can I have a refund'.

Obviously shocking what has happened to the OP but, I honestly don't really see a better way around things. The company can hardly say yes come on board sniffs and sniffles, coughs and colds welcome. Yet I wouldn't expect many to admit to a minor illness if it meant their holiday being cancelled and a lengthy fight just to get a refund. Bad situation all round but don't think you can 'blame' P&O. Just a sign of the times and hazard of the industry they are in?

On any given cruise with thousands of passengers on the ship it's never ever every single one of them is 100% healthy in terms of RTI.  And, of course, it's not any cruise line's fault to react on RTI as in this thread's example.  They simply don't want to be scape goats of today world's response to the late 2019 circumstance.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I presume P&O are covering backside so they can say no one boards who has any covid symptoms.   They expected everyone just to say NO to every question.  I bet they are surprised that anyone ticks yes.

I would love to see a couple of hundred people tick yes and see what P&O would do! A class action by those refused boarding would finish P&O for ever.

8 hours ago, kirtihk said:

On any given cruise with thousands of passengers on the ship it's never ever every single one of them is 100% healthy in terms of RTI.  And, of course, it's not any cruise line's fault to react on RTI as in this thread's example.  They simply don't want to be scape goats of today world's response to the late 2019 circumstance.

It is a cruise line's fault that they advertise UK guests can claim on their travel insurance if they are refused boarding when it is blatantly untrue.  US guests presumably don't lose their cash if they have the misfortune to be refused boarding because of the health questionnaire. I cannot imagine that every time a US resident books a cruise he expects to lose thousands of dollars if he has the misfortune to develop a cold or get strep throat, but I would be very interested to hear if that is the case? I am aware of class actions etc in the US and see reference to them on other cruise line threads and boards.  UK residents do not as a rule have access to these and legal recourse is difficult and expensive for individuals.

The UK agency governing travel in the UK believes residents here are being asked to meet thresholds in the US where different laws apply.  The OP on of this thread and her affected travelling companions has lost all of her money which will be several thousands not just her holiday and now faces a lengthy and difficult battle with her insurer and P&O.  Are you seriously suggesting that US residents accept this possibility as a given when booking a cruise that a simple non covid related cough will lose them 100% cruise fare?

We already have a situation where all deposits made in the UK are non refundable which I understand differs wildly from the US.  Add to this the statement to rely on insurance (which is compulsory for UK travellers) which is worthless in these circumstances and the contracts being made by British cruisers with the cruise lines are frankly fraudulent.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 13

Insurers I believe require a doctor's certificate or similar for medical claims so perhaps the OP should ask P&O for a medical certificate signed by a doctor to show why they were refused boarding on medical grounds. In the (unlikely) event that P&O provide a doctor's certificate a complaint to the GMC would be in order as any reputable doctor would have investigated further and not just relied on a tick in a box. If no certificate is forthcoming this would seem to give further grounds to challenge this ridiculous decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david05 said:

Insurers I believe require a doctor's certificate or similar for medical claims so perhaps the OP should ask P&O for a medical certificate signed by a doctor to show why they were refused boarding on medical grounds. In the (unlikely) event that P&O provide a doctor's certificate a complaint to the GMC would be in order as any reputable doctor would have investigated further and not just relied on a tick in a box. If no certificate is forthcoming this would seem to give further grounds to challenge this ridiculous decision.

Also no doctor should give you any certificate without seeing you.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

.......and that would help, how?

Then maybe we could get a decent cruise company in Southampton. P&O are taking money from people whom they are refusing boarding AND deliberately ignoring covid on board. They dont deserve to be in business.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, david05 said:

But the point is, P&O do NOT deny boarding on the basis that a passenger has Covid (or anything else).  The grounds are that the passenger has a SYMPTOM and if the passenger fills in a form saying "I've got a cough", then clearly he does have a symptom.  The T&C condition may not be appropriate, and perhaps isn't enforceable, but the logic is clear.

16 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

But the point is, P&O do NOT deny boarding on the basis that a passenger has Covid (or anything else).  The grounds are that the passenger has a SYMPTOM and if the passenger fills in a form saying "I've got a cough", then clearly he does have a symptom.  The T&C condition may not be appropriate, and perhaps isn't enforceable, but the logic is clear.

You are missing the point.  

Having a cough is not neccessarily a indication of Covid. Indeed, as others have indicated, it is entirely possible to have a cough, and yet not be sick with anything 

So, why should P&O arbitrarily decide, purely by a tick in a box, that someone should be denied boarding. It is an arbitary and grossly unfair protocol.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yorkypete said:

Then maybe we could get a decent cruise company in Southampton.

There are already plenty of other cruise companies for you to chose from.

But, they all have the same Covid procedures as P&O.  

You seem to "have it in" for P&O,  when, in effect they are doing nothing different to any other mass market cruise line. Which is not to say that I agree with what they are doing, merely pointing out that it is invidious  to solely focus on P&O. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You are missing the point.  

Having a cough is not neccessarily a indication of Covid. Indeed, as others have indicated, it is entirely possible to have a cough, and yet not be sick with anything 

So, why should P&O arbitrarily decide, purely by a tick in a box, that someone should be denied boarding. It is an arbitary and grossly unfair protocol.

I'm not missing the point.  Clause 22 says anybody with symptoms of any virus will be denied boarding, without compensation.  P&O are simply applying this condition when anybody who says they have such a symptom is denied boarding.  P&O are not claiming that the person has Covid, or anything else.  So the only way to contest the decision is to show the clause is invalid.  Is the clause arbitrary and grossly unfair?  Almost certainly, but that doesn't necesarily make it invalid.

Like so much else in life, people have to make their own minds up about their appetite for risk, and decide if they want to sail with this clause in the contract.  Of course, if they are led to believe that insurance will cover them if the clause is invoked, and that belief is unfounded, that's a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

In the past what happened if you turned up at the terminal and ticked a box or answered verbally whether you were suffering from diarrhoea? Presumably you would be denied boarding but did cruise lines reimburse or would travel insurance pay up for such a generic symptom?

From reports it appears that you were then interviewed by medical personnel. If it transpired it was something chronic (IBS or Crohns, for example) you were cleared to board. Otherwise, at the medics discretion,  you could board but confined to your cabin for a time, or denied boarding. In that case, insurance would pay out as you had been examined by a doctor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Teddy123 said:

I'm not missing the point.  Clause 22 says anybody with symptoms of any virus will be denied boarding, without compensation.  P&O are simply applying this condition when anybody who says they have such a symptom is denied boarding.  P&O are not claiming that the person has Covid, or anything else.  So the only way to contest the decision is to show the clause is invalid.  Is the clause arbitrary and grossly unfair?  Almost certainly, but that doesn't necesarily make it invalid.

Like so much else in life, people have to make their own minds up about their appetite for risk, and decide if they want to sail with this clause in the contract.  Of course, if they are led to believe that insurance will cover them if the clause is invoked, and that belief is unfounded, that's a different matter.

Therefore,  everyone should tick every  "No" box, and the questionnaire thus becomes a total charade.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Teddy123 said:

So you think that P&O should stop honest people boarding if they have symptoms of a cough. Can you explain what you think is a symptom of a cough? They also mentioning aching limbs and tiredness. Most people suffer from one of these but what on earth are they symptoms of? That is how ridiculous the whole thing is.

• Like 1