Princess Mask Mandate

hammo

Sailing in January on Grand Princess out of Melbourne , having just disembarked Quantum of the Seas where masks were advised but not compulsory . With masks mandatory on Princess , can anyone give information about how this works in bars and  diningrooms please ? Not sure how a soggy mask at the pool goes either 🤭. Thinking of cancelling but hate losing the $ . 

• Like 1

The mask thing is in place for all Carnival brands as well.

- Dining rooms - masks worn while moving about, then removed when seated for eating/drinking.

- Bars - masks worn while moving around. Once seated most will take masks off, but some bars (and places like the theatre) are designated as sip and cover, and meant to be worn when you don't have a drink to your mouth.

- Applies generally to indoor areas. I guess that means you don't need one in the pool, but they also suggest one if you can't socially distance from others, so I will let you work that one out. Our workplace rules earlier in the pandemic, as defined, meant we needed to wear one when showering at work. Rather than soggy mask, it was an opportunity to give it a wash ready for the next day. 😉

We have done 3 cruises this year with these sorts of mask rules, government mandated at the time. We didn't find it too onerous, just an extension of what we have been doing day to day for parts of the last couple of years.

• Like 5

Just off Majestic and agree with Geoff's summary.

Funny you mention pool, I did actually see someone swimming with a mask in Hollywood pool on that cruise. Very strange sight!

Also found mask wearing not onerous. Almost all abided by rules. At times in a packed theatre, someone next to me slipped their mask down below mouth and coughed intermittently during performance. At those times, you just need to concentrate on your own mask wearing and not focus on other's habits. Invest in good 95 tight fitting masks and be diligent in wearing.

There was a sign by the Sanctuary Pool on Coral saying masks were not to be worn in pools or hot tubs.

We've cruise for 66 days on Princess this year and were quite comfortable wearing masks. We took a good supply of KN95 masks with us. By the time we finished the last cruise it felt odd when we were not wearing a mask (such as on outside decks). We continue to wear them at shopping centres and supermarkets.

• Like 4

On Majestic I saw Princess staff in the theatre with a box of masks - the people a couple of rows in front of me didn't have masks on and he came over to them. One did put a mask on but the other took it off when he left. Most people did comply with the rule although there were quite a few chin breathers around. We didn't find it a problem to wear a mask. Given the continued number of cases on board, it is not an issue for us at all - every little bit helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

On Majestic I saw Princess staff in the theatre with a box of masks - the people a couple of rows in front of me didn't have masks on and he came over to them. One did put a mask on but the other took it off when he left. Most people did comply with the rule although there were quite a few chin breathers around. We didn't find it a problem to wear a mask. Given the continued number of cases on board, it is not an issue for us at all - every little bit helps.

It was funny-sad watching how many masks came down or off as soon as the lights went down in the theatre. 😯🙄😪

We've always prefered to go to the late shows as we dine late. That's one of the reasons we like Princess - their late show is late enough to go to after dinner. On Celebrity we had to go to the early show then to dinner so we tended not to go to many of their shows.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've always prefered to go to the late shows as we dine late. That's one of the reasons we like Princess - their late show is late enough to go to after dinner. On Celebrity we had to go to the early show then to dinner so we tended not to go to many of their shows.

Just out of interest can you advise the current times for early and late shows on Princess. (specifically Coral Princess) We like to make our dinner reservations around the shows.

7 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

Just out of interest can you advise the current times for early and late shows on Princess. (specifically Coral Princess) We like to make our dinner reservations around the shows.

They were 7:30pm and 9:30pm on our Coral cruises. We found dining around 7:30pm-8pm worked for us to get good seats at the 9:30pm shows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, windsor26 said:

Majestic today everyone test. Dh  positive so he is isolated for 5 days then re test

Sorry to read that your husband has COVID. Have they moved him to another cabin or are you still staying together? 

Hope the 5 days goes quickly for you both! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, windsor26 said:

Majestic today everyone test. Dh  positive so he is isolated for 5 days then re test

That's a real shame. Interesting that Majestic is still listed as Tier 1 on the Sydney Health site - though that was from yesterday (1 Dec).

Did they give a reason for the testing of all pax?

Edited by Aussieflyer

4 hours ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Are they testing every one on board during the cruise now? Or was this just a one off?

When they reach an elevated number of cases, testing is required by the ports that are being visited. I expect Majestic will be listed as tier 2 when she next communicates with NSW ports, and that is what triggers the tests here and in NZ.

So one-off, no but horses for courses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

That's a real shame. Interesting that Majestic is still listed as Tier 1 on the Sydney Health site - though that was from yesterday (1 Dec).

Did they give a reason for the testing of all pax?

I think that will change on their next update with NSW, unless NZ has a lower threshold for testing.

Just now, arxcards said:

When they reach an elevated number of cases, testing is required by the ports that are being visited. I expect Majestic will be listed as tier 2 when she next communicates with NSW ports, and that is what triggers the tests here and in NZ.

So one-off, no but horses for courses.

It's actually sensible on longer cruises. The more people they can "catch" through required testing and isolate means they are breaking some of the chains of infection.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's actually sensible on longer cruises. The more people they can "catch" through required testing and isolate means they are breaking some of the chains of infection.

It makes a whole lot of sense, especially when you have a fair idea that something is going around. To date, they have only tested when they have been required to, even to the point of Grand skipping Newcastle last week to avoid a round of tests. They haven't wanted to test, as it could show elevated covid numbers, but the longer cruises have had enough passengers presenting with symptoms later in the cruise that they end up with enforced tests that show headline numbers.

So yes, much better to get on the front foot with less than 100 cases than it is to end up with 800 ten days later. There is a cost attached to having passengers going into iso who wouldn't have otherwise been tested, but surely much better for business than passengers cancelling or shying away from booking with a lack of confidence in the level of protection the ship offers them.

Replying to everybody the whole ship was tested yesterday DH had no symptoms but tested positive we have a balcony so all together I can leave to pick things up but he is isolated I was given the choice of splitting up but we keep each other company thanks for your good wishes

• Like 6