Princess raising prices of plus and premier packages

justafem

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Two premium crafted desserts, two smoothies or juices, two fitness classes and free shipping of Medallions prior to cruises are the new additions to the Princess Plus package.

The medallion always ships free for everyone.  

Edited by sonomaphil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

We had the Plus on the Crown in May at $40pp and recently on the Discovery at $50pp.  Both times for us it is of great value since we always pre-pay gratuities and each get a WiFi package anyways.  We had very little problem getting past the break even point with drinks at both price points.  Speciality coffees and bottled water would cut into the drink portion before we even had our first alcoholic drink.  A typical day for us would be 2-4 adult beverages each so even at $60pp we would still purchase it. 

• Like 5

I'm with you, BT. PCL is slowly strangling the Golden Goose.

Ala carte is the way to go for light/non-drinkers. If there are 2 in

the cabin, a 4 device plan is is the most economical plan for the internet

if you are Platinum or higher at $10 per day for the cabin.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

I'm out! No more Princess Plus for us.

our last cruise - just competed was PLUS for $40 pp pd - net $20 after grats and wifi

our next cruise - next October is currently booked ($1 deposit) at PLUS for $50 pp pd - net $30 for drinks.  For us that's still an OK deal and using OBC to pay the upcharge for 'better' wines.

We're still 'in' at this time ... as long as room service PLUS is still included - we used it quite a bit on our last cruise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Two premium crafted desserts, two smoothies or juices, two fitness classes and free shipping of Medallions prior to cruises are the new additions to the Princess Plus package.

after eating these 

Princess Cruises Enhances Value with Exciting New Offerings to All-Inclusive Princess Plus and Premier Packages

unlimited fitness is the answer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

PCL just raised the Plus from $40 to $50 when adding the new Premier ($75).  Perhaps it was due for an increase, but they certainly did not add value.  In fact, they dumbed down the wines (by glass) offered. 

Now, they want an additional $10 for it.  Per Day.  And you don't get those extra smoothies and ice cream sundaes PER DAY.  Nope, it's a total for the voyage, so a lot of bucks to spend for longer voyages IMO.  If I go to the gym, I just do my own thing and not interested in a class I wouldn't be carrying on with at home. 

As for shipping Medallions, the devil will be in the details, because PCL doesn't ship Medallions today to anyone outside USA - even for a fee.  Are they now going to include Canada, UK, Australia, NZ?

Are they going to stop sending Medallions to US residents?  That has been a big selling point or "wow factor" for guests to receive Medallions just ahead of their cruise.  It doesn't seem to be causing a big delay at port, so maybe not a big deal, but I imagine long-time US customers won't be happy if they have to pay to get a Medallion. 

The way I see it, for a 10-night Caribbean voyage, they want another $100 for each of us ($200 total), and for that we would get a couple of ice cream sundaes and a couple of smoothies.  Whoop-de-doo.

Yes, we are Standard fare bookers and each move Princess makes in upping the cost for all-inclusive, just cements our decision more.

Crew Incentive = $29/day total.

MedallionNet 4-device plan = $10/day total.

Leaves $81 for drinks and treats PER DAY.  Not for us.  Hope they sell lots of it because my stock is on life support.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Seems to be a way to push the premium package.  We've gotten plus since it was offered.  The 2 specialty dinings, photos and prizes never floated my boat.  For the same $25 per person per day difference, we could eat at a specialty dining venue every night for the same price.  So, for us, unless they add something incredible (and ice cream, smoothies and classes aren't it for me), we'll stick with plus.  

I just remembered something, weren't smoothies supposed to be unlimited with the booze package from the very beginning?  Or did they quietly cut that benefit without anyone noticing?  

How about they make the WIFI useable?  I'd pay for that.  Not sure what my cutoff price for usable internet would be, but you get me.  

Before plus, we'd get the coffee cards, or trade in our minibar for the cards and forgo booze on most days.  I'm a cheap drunk, the couple bottles of wine would do me for 2 days, then a couple of booze drinks at the fancy munchie venue or not. 

Seems like princess is seeing how high people will go for the added value, since most are taking advantage.  

It's what it is.  If cruising no longer is the total value, we'll look at other options like we did before when we'd Disneyland a couple times a year and they priced themselves out of our comfort level.  

• Like 9

In Marketing spheres, they refer to the 'Grunt Level' that's the price point where customers say, Hmmm? Often $19.95 is the Grunt Level.

At $40 I thought it was cleverly positioned, especially because they forced both passengers to buy it. When they went to $50 I said, 'Hmmm'. Bought it last cruise, a la carte next cruise, at $60 not even a consideration! Free internet minutes under Platinum were rarely used - no interest in WiFi package.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, minnesotasisu said:

The article mentioned some new fancy desserts. Will this be only for those who paid the extra new price or will it also be available for those who already have the packages? Asking for a friend.

Available for bookings made after December 14th for sailings after February 20th 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, justafem said:

How about they make the WIFI useable?  I'd pay for that.  Not sure what my cutoff price for usable internet would be, but you get me.  

Just curious, what do you use internet for on a cruise? I use it a lot at home but on a cruise, apart from occasional check of email. I see no purpose. I can always check email in port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1