Quantum of the Seas Loses a Lifeboat

Oakman58

2 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I saw a 60 minutes (or similar) with interviews ...it wasn't pretty. Let me guess you were on the Concordia? 

No, but I would trust maritime accident investigators, who also interviewed passengers, and with a mandate to find the truth, over a 60 minutes interview with a mandate to sell commercials.  I have read the report, several times.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, notscb said:

I find it weird- the same people that argue against this kind of point also argue against in-person mustering or safety protocols more generally which have been proven over the years to be beneficial in emergency situations. It's as simple as showing people (who are in a brand new environment) what to do in an emergency so they do that when one happens.

Thank you for posting historical examples showing these safety related procedures do work.

THE most important thing about the muster/safety drill is for passengers to know where to go.   In a pinch, most people would be able to figure out how to don a lifejacket, even if it's just from watching someone else doing it....  

...But you've gotta know where to muster so that, if there IS an evacuation/abandon ship order, or in the case of Grandeur OTS, a muster-to-the-boats order, you can be at -- or be led by muster-station personnel TO -- the boat boarding area. 

Many people might not realize that nice, often-quiet outside deck below the lifeboats is where you'll be taken from, say, the main theater or the nightclub or the restaurant, since many muster stations are now located inside the ship as opposed to outside in the heat, etc.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rolloman said:

In the first video, did anyone else notice the life ring floating by? Evidently someone threw it in forward of the ship...

I suspect the ring either came off the boat when it hit the water or was ripped off the ship as the hardware failed. My thinking stems from the fact that the ring is in the splash created by the boat.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:14 AM, Oakman58 said:

Here's a video of the incident that happened on Dec 1st.  I have no other details.

Watching this again, it reminds me about how I wanted to volunteer to be a part of the lifeboat drill in Nassau when I was on Freedom in May. It looked like it would be fun! This video has changed my thinking a bit, though...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

I suspect the ring either came off the boat when it hit the water or was ripped off the ship as the hardware failed. My thinking stems from the fact that the ring is in the splash created by the boat.

The ring is moving at a good clip and it is well forward of the boat...if someone did throw it...my question is why if the boat is empty? It just seems out of place to me. 

7 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Maybe in the future the cruise lines will have a new ride using lifeboats on their new megaships.  Something like this would be interesting. 

Well, the record for a manned free-fall lifeboat drop is 40 meters, and the record for dropping a boat, without personnel is 60 meters.  The boat flipping over is a result of there not being enough "ballast" (the crew) inside the boat.  If you google the highest lifeboat drop, you will see that with only 10 men in the boat, and dropped from 40 meters, it does not exhibit that behavior.

When free-fall boats were first introduced, a regulation was enacted that the release mechanism be tested every 3 months.  This meant that ships were dropping their boats every three months.  This was recommended by the boat manufacturers not to be done, as it was subsequently found to overstress the boats from impact.  Subsequently, testing rigs were made that allowed the release hook to release the boat, but a hydraulic cylinder only allows the boat to slide down a couple of inches.

Note that everyone in a free-fall boat is strapped in with a six-point harness, not only for the fall, but because keeping the weight in the seats if the boat rolls over, will automatically roll the boat back upright.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 7:42 AM, Oakman58 said:

Maybe in the future the cruise lines will have a new ride using lifeboats on their new megaships.  Something like this would be interesting.   

That is to be expected with an empty lifeboat.  

Besides it proves that they automatically right themselves, which is important for safety. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

That is to be expected with an empty lifeboat.  

Besides it proves that they automatically right themselves, which is important for safety. 

In the video that I have seen, it is firmly upside down and steady. Did it right itself later?

24 minutes ago, flamingos said:

In the video that I have seen, it is firmly upside down and steady. Did it right itself later?

I was speaking too the launch of the lifeboat in post #60.  However, to the best of my knowledge, the one that fell off Quantum never did right itself.  Given the way it fell, I do not think that it was designed to recover from that type of water entry. 

• Like 1