Reliable pharmacy in Puero Vallarta

asebastian

Hi All,

Would anyone know of a reliable pharmacy in Puerto Vallarta with walking distance from the cruise terminal (up to a mile is fine)? Possibly large chain pharmacies, I hear they are more reliable and don't sell any counterfeit stuff.

If so please post details. I'm after strictly prescribed medication only, nothing under the counter or possibly illegal!😃 Too many borders to cross for me to risk anything else on the way back after the cruise.

Thank you.

THE BEST 10 Pharmacy in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico - Last Updated December 2022 - Yelp

After Googling, it appears that only prescriptions from Mexico licensed doctors are legal to be filled in Mexico. No foreign prescriptions.  Many drugs are over the counter though.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

1 hour ago, asebastian said:

Hi All,

Would anyone know of a reliable pharmacy in Puerto Vallarta with walking distance from the cruise terminal (up to a mile is fine)? Possibly large chain pharmacies, I hear they are more reliable and don't sell any counterfeit stuff.

If so please post details. I'm after strictly prescribed medication only, nothing under the counter or possibly illegal!😃 Too many borders to cross for me to risk anything else on the way back after the cruise.

Thank you.

@Ine Do you have an address in Puerto Vallarta? I ask you as you live in PV in our wintermonths.

52 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

@Ine Do you have an address in Puerto Vallarta? I ask you as you live in PV in our wintermonths.

Walmart across the street from the cruise terminal has a pharmacy department. On the street Prisciliano  Sanchez -on the right of  Walmart/Sams - walking distance is Pharmacia Guadalajara. 

Just past  the Shell gasstation  at the same side as the cruise terminal you will find Chedraui supermarket that also has a pharmacia department. 

It will depend on which  pier your ship will dock which one will be the closest. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, asebastian said:

Hi All,

Thank you.

Very likely your US prescription is not valid in Mexico.  Most pharmacies are nowadays strict about that. Sometimes you will see a pharmacy with a special entrance/door  for a doctor connected with that pharmacy, which might work to get your medicines. However I donot know any near the cruise terminal. 

Some medicines donot require a prescription and are sold over the counter. 

Edited by Ine
  • Thanks 1

We were able to pick up several desired items at the Walmart which was right across from where we docked.  We bought the high strength Retin-A with no RX.   When we got off the ship at the pier that was right across from Walmart there were vendors wet up in pop up tents and there was one vendor selling common prescription medicines.   Prednisone, stomach medications, ***** etc.  This was several years ago so I don't know if this continues.   

I use Farmacia PVR, about 100 yards south outside of the port walking entrance.  They will hand you  a list in English of many common drugs you dont need scripts for.  You can "walk" by it on google street view or get pics on the web. Be aware that THEY are afraid of counterfeit money, so the credit card prices are lower than cash prices.

PV pharmacy.jpg

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

There's a Walmart right across the street from the cruise terminal.  I haven't gone inside there but most Walmart's I know of have pharmacies.

~Nancy

I second Walmart. Good price too.

Chedraui slightly to the south is ok; I think Walmart tends to have a more limited selection. In the post above mine, you’ll see a Farmacias Guadalajara at the upper right corner of the map - they are kind of the Rite Aid of Mexico and have more depth of selection.   They also have suspiciously delicious fresh baked cookies in many locations.  Go figure.  

For products that should be kept refrigerated, Costco isn’t too far by Uber and is highly trustworthy.  

The major classes of Rx that you need a receta for are going to be antibiotics, benzodiazepines like Valium or Xanax and opioids from codeine on up.  Everything else is pretty much ask and you shall receive - even general anesthetics and chemotherapy drugs.  So unless you’re looking for those three classes, you’re fine just asking for the generic name and strength you want, no Dr visit required. 

(If you do need very expensive specialized injectables, you may need a “farmacia alta especialidad”, and I don’t know one to recommend in PV)

• 2 weeks later...